Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will be packing their bags and flying home?
Andy - not a good day at the office for him. - 3 (8.3%)
Ryan - the American is quiet for once. - 33 (91.7%)
Total Voters: 34

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 30 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison

(Read 5875 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 10:45 AM »

A quick visit and then on with my week.  Well I'd not have been watching at 2-3am anyway so I'm not missing much by being down in London.  BUT I suspect it will disrupt my sleep,knowing the match is happening, and I'll end up listening to some of it on 5live.   I know you're cool and confident bbh but until we know the roller coaster has well and truly smoothed out I'm afraid I always face matches with butterflies in my stomach.  So while part of me is confident that Andy will do really well in the tournament as a whole, each match represents a microcosm of the existential crisis that being an avid supporter of Andy involves.  nervous cmon yeah
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 10:48 AM »

Loved this rant last year. Very Happy

IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

16 Grand Slams = peRFection

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 11:27 AM »

Seems to be some mind games between these two guys creeping in.

Murray

I'll try and make him lose his temper early,"
"It helps if you know your opponent can get down on himself and it affects his game. When you see them getting like that you want to try to hit the gas and keep going. Hopefully I'll get off to a good start. That's really how my game's worked the last five or six years, so I'll just use a lot of variation, make it difficult for him."

Harrison

"I trust my game. If I bring my 'A' game and he brings his, I have to believe I will come out on top. I will look to serve well, stay aggressive and, depending on how the match is going, assess and deal with adjustments. [That] is as important as the gameplan. It never goes how you script it, though."

"I'm not worried about his emotions. I hope he is getting agitated. That will mean I'm winning. I will control my half of the net and concentrate on what I have got."
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 12:16 PM »

OMG spoilt American brat or what naughty
"existential crisis." Lawks, m'dear Wink 
IP Logged
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Koala's are cute and cuddly

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 12:18 PM »

Seems to be some mind games between these two guys creeping in.

Murray

I'll try and make him lose his temper early,"
"It helps if you know your opponent can get down on himself and it affects his game. When you see them getting like that you want to try to hit the gas and keep going. Hopefully I'll get off to a good start. That's really how my game's worked the last five or six years, so I'll just use a lot of variation, make it difficult for him."

Harrison

"I trust my game. If I bring my 'A' game and he brings his, I have to believe I will come out on top. I will look to serve well, stay aggressive and, depending on how the match is going, assess and deal with adjustments. [That] is as important as the gameplan. It never goes how you script it, though."

"I'm not worried about his emotions. I hope he is getting agitated. That will mean I'm winning. I will control my half of the net and concentrate on what I have got."

Definately mind games creeping in, but i believe Harrison will blink first! pray
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 02:53 PM »

Loved this rant last year. Very Happy

Shades of Jimmy Connors there! lol

Have just listened to an ESPN interview with Harrison in which he talks briefly about the match, giving a fairly mature measured assessment of the situation.  Sounds confident and says that he's very glad to have the opportunity of playing Murray, adding "I know it'll take a lot to get things done" and that "I will have to stay within myself and trust myself".

Encouragingly, though, in an ESPN iterview with the pundits, Darren Cahill is saying that he's already noticed some positives in Murray even in the short time Lendl has been working with him, although he certainly isn't under-estimating Harrison or his potential.

So far Harrison hasn't claimed even a top 30 scalp, but he took a set off Soderling at the French Open last year and pushed Ferrer to five at Wimbledon.  However, although Murray is bound to be nervous - all the top players tend to get a bit jittery at the beginning of Slams - and Harrison has nothing to lose, I'm sure Murray's experience, coupled with some of the "Lendl effect", will get him through this tough 1st round test.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 03:15 PM »

If anyone's going to throw around any hissy fits it's going to be Harrison himself. Harrison can be aggressive but Andy will frustrate him.

You can plan things, sure but executing it accordingly is altogether a different matter. Far too many things can go wrong for a start.

Anyway, let’s see what we have in store tonight. I’d have liked it though if we had one women’s match before Andy’s and not two.
IP Logged
geo1

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 03:43 PM »

AM doesn't play mind games, I would love to see the quote.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 03:57 PM »

AM doesn't play mind games, I would love to see the quote.

I am a bit surprised too. Even the comments from Harrison are a bit suspect.

I would like to see the original link.

IP Logged
geo1

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 04:02 PM »

And I mean the verbatum quote, not the Chinese whispers that the half dozen newspapers are using.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 04:03 PM »

Me too.  For a start, I just cannot imagine Andy saying "I'll try and make him lose his temper early".  That would just be so out of character.

Come on ak400 - source, please!
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 04:09 PM »

I'm guessing that both Andy and Harrison were asked leading questions to come up with those quotes. The media love to stir things up before matches.

I'm looking forward to this match, should be some good tennis. The AO is the perfect surface for Andy and I'm expecting him to start the tournament well - Andy in three.
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 04:20 PM »

Hey guys sorry I meant to post a link!  here it is

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jan/16/2012-australian-open-andy-murray?newsfeed=true

It does seem out of character for Murray I can only think he was asked certain questions about Harrisons suspect temperament that led to this answer but not totally sure.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 04:34 PM »

It's funny how people just quote the lines they like leaving out the essentials. It’s best to post the entire article which makes far more sense. As I see it they are simply talking about their strategies and not playing mind games. They both have their weaknesses and obviously one is going to bring the other out. It's part of the gameplan anyway.

Harrison: "I trust my game. If I bring my 'A' game and he brings his, I have to believe I will come out on top. I will look to serve well, stay aggressive and, depending on how the match is going, assess and deal with adjustments. [That] is as important as the gameplan. It never goes how you script it, though."

As for winding up Murray, Harrison says: "I'm not worried about his emotions. I hope he is getting agitated. That will mean I'm winning. I will control my half of the net and concentrate on what I have got."

IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 04:41 PM »

It's funny how people just quote the lines they like leaving out the essentials. It’s best to post the entire article which makes far more sense. As I see it they are simply talking about their strategies and not playing mind games. They both have their weaknesses and obviously one is going to bring the other out. It's part of the gameplan anyway.

Harrison: "I trust my game. If I bring my 'A' game and he brings his, I have to believe I will come out on top. I will look to serve well, stay aggressive and, depending on how the match is going, assess and deal with adjustments. [That] is as important as the gameplan. It never goes how you script it, though."

As for winding up Murray, Harrison says: "I'm not worried about his emotions. I hope he is getting agitated. That will mean I'm winning. I will control my half of the net and concentrate on what I have got."

I agree it's a game plan Emma but when part of that plan is targeting a perceived mental weakness of the opponent and making it public doesn't that come under the category of mind games to me it's close but at the same time I don't think there was anything unsportsmanlike said by either of them.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »