Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will be packing their bags and flying home?
Andy - not a good day at the office for him. - 3 (8.3%)
Ryan - the American is quiet for once. - 33 (91.7%)
Total Voters: 34

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison

(Read 5772 times)
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #420 on: January 17, 2012, 03:24 PM »

Someone said on TV that he was the only one of the top four to lose a set  .

What a damn cheek censored
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #421 on: January 17, 2012, 04:46 PM »

What a damn cheek censored
He was the only one not playing a qualifier.  Have we heard of Lorenzi, Kudryantsev, or Kuznetsov?  Plus I believe that Fed had a night match which would not have been as hot, and I think Rafa did as well, not sure about Nole.  But Andy toughed it out and came out the winner, that's all that matters.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #422 on: January 17, 2012, 04:52 PM »

Yes it was never going to be an easy match,Harrison is young and on the up. Thought that the double faults in the first set caused Andy to lose momentum and further weakened his second serve, indeed his serve was a bit off form altogether.Andy did tough it out and all credit to him. Someone said on TV that he was the only one of the top four to lose a set  - that really ignored the calibre of the others opposition. Good steady start for our Andy.
I'm all for fair and informative critisism about his game, but they cant be fair or objective about Andy Murray, especially if it's British TV.

Always looking to find negative comparisons, then stick the knife in him.  ranting
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #423 on: January 17, 2012, 05:07 PM »

obviously Andy had the most difficult 1st round opponent.. I mean the other "big 3" got cake walk matches tbh..Rafa played a guy in the 200's.. Andy did a very good job in the end... I just hate it when the schedule doesn't go Andy's way.  ranting. he better get a night match.. some time this week or next.  It's disgraceful that they always choose "perfect" Smugfed to get the best schedule
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #424 on: January 17, 2012, 05:11 PM »

I hope so John. I'm very luck, I broke my leg on Christmas eve. Therefore being at home with my leg in a plaster cast I am in the fortunate position to be able to watch the Aussie Open.
Every cloud.. as they say!  Smile

Wouldn't mind having my leg in a cast during the AO.  Tough staying up to watch the matches then trying to get up for work.  Sure did not want to get up this morning.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #425 on: January 17, 2012, 05:14 PM »

I thought the commentators were very unfair and a bit condescending. As usual they seem to go out of there way to be nasty towards Andy. I fell asleep and did not see the match until this afternoon. Eurosport did not even give the result of the match in the morning. Got it on the BBC. Hope his next round is played when it's a bit cooler, it was very hot and windy. Andy got through and that is the main thing (ugly or not) a win is a win.
Yes Nadal,Djokovic and Smugfed had easier games we will have to wait and see how they get on.
Andy made it through and that is what matters
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #426 on: January 17, 2012, 05:18 PM »

Well, it didn't have to be this hard but it is right now what it is. This should give Andy confidence going forward. Harrison was very tricky no doubt and had nohting to lose. And when you are up against a player like Harrison with that sort of attitude, whom I find very promising, it's going to be hard. And with Lendl being first time there in his match and box as his coach, I am sure it became even harder.

Very good play by Harrison. I am sure he made a mark here.

I too was thinking about Andy trying to remember all the things that Ivan told him, along with having him in his box watching, then playing a known player for the first time, and definitely not wanting to go out in the first round.  Thats a load of stress for Andy.  Then to deal with the heat.  Good on Andy to rise above all of that and come out the winner.  I would like to be in a mouse in the corner and hear what Ivan told him about the match.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #427 on: January 17, 2012, 05:41 PM »

He was the only one not playing a qualifier.  Have we heard of Lorenzi, Kudryantsev, or Kuznetsov?  Plus I believe that Fed had a night match which would not have been as hot, and I think Rafa did as well, not sure about Nole.  But Andy toughed it out and came out the winner, that's all that matters.

Good post, I was just going to post something along these lines when I read this, you hit the nail on the head. Nole did play in the sun by the way.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #428 on: January 17, 2012, 06:15 PM »

I have a big TV not too big though and they were covering this match. It had Brad and Pat Mac as the comms. Brad was as usual going all chummy on Andy which made me very nervous but then Pat, who's clearly not an Andy fan, was going Harrison this, Harrison that. I got so ticked off by both; I turned off my TV and started watching live stream in my bedroom. My stream wasn't as good and kicked me out twice like completely (I cursed like Clydey at that point. Very proud moment that was come to think of it) but still, I was patient and stayed with it. I simply didn't want to hear Pat Mak going on and on about Harrison while Brad trying to jinx Andy even unconsciously so. Maybe I should have gone back after the 2nd set but then I got too lazy being in bed and all. And I thought it would jinx ...stuff.

Some of you put ak400 to shame last night I hate to tell you but that's also love all wrapped up in anger. And I tease. :p

Alright then.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #429 on: January 17, 2012, 07:46 PM »

Like I said, threw the set away. F**king idiot.
I'm sure if you were in Andy's situation, you'd have Harrison under control.  So easy to be a sidewalk supervisor. pullhair
IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #430 on: January 17, 2012, 08:04 PM »

After I watched Djokovic drop a set to Dodig I didn't think he wouldn't lose a set for the rest of the tournament last year...
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #431 on: January 17, 2012, 08:06 PM »

Match Summary
                                                  Murray(GBR)                Harrison(USA)

1st Serve %                           65 of 120 = 54 %      76 of 122 = 62 %

Aces                                               7                               9

Double Faults                                5                                8

Unforced Errors                             40                              61

Winning % on 1st Sve          46 of 65 = 71 %           50 of 76 = 66 %

Winning % on 2nd Sve         33 of 55 = 60 %           22 of 46 = 48 %

Winners                                       39                                47

Receiving Points Won           50 of 122 = 41 %         41 of 120 = 34 %

Break Point Conversions      5 of 15 = 33 %               2 of 7 = 29 %

Net Approaches                  23 of 33 = 70 %            21 of 31 = 68 %

Total Points Won                      129                                 113

Fastest Serve Speed            213 KMH                        215 KMH

Average 1st Serve Speed     175 KMH                       191 KMH

Average 2nd Serve Speed    136 KMH                       163 KMH
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #432 on: January 17, 2012, 08:54 PM »

Tuesday, 17 January, 2012
Andy Murray

Start of Transcribed Interview
Q.  Perhaps a little bit like Brisbane, a nervousy start, but once you got going, you were fine and comfortable?  

ANDY MURRAY:  Yeah.  I mean, it was obviously a different tournament to Brisbane.  I mean, some weeks you feel very comfortable in the conditions straightaway; sometimes it takes a few matches.  

It's very different conditions what we've been practicing in.  The court plays different.  I mean, it was incredibly hot today.  Balls bouncing up very high, whereas it's been cool, and this court particularly reacts a lot with the temperature.  It took me a little while to adjust to that.  

Also, I've never played or hit against him before, so it always takes a bit of time to get used to the guy you're playing.  But once I did, I started to play better.  

Q.  What did you think of his game?

ANDY MURRAY:  I thought he was good.  He serves well.  He's quick.  He does everything pretty solid.  There wasn't one thing in particular that was incredible, but there wasn't too many holes in his game, which, you know, if you want to be a good player, you can't have any.

Q.  In conditions like this, is this when the pain of Florida pays off?  

ANDY MURRAY:  Yeah, it helps.  But, again, today, you know, obviously training in hot temperatures helps because you're used to it, but also for the last couple of weeks it's been very different.  

You know, today was a bit of a shock to the system.  It was good to get used to playing in that heat again because might have to a bit further down the line.  

Q.  Have you had any sort of debrief from Ivan yet about what he thought about the victory, aspects of it?

ANDY MURRAY:  Yeah, he was very happy.  

Q.  You stepped up close to the baseline the second, third, and fourth sets.  

ANDY MURRAY:  Yeah, I played better, but he understands how you might be feeling at the start of a Grand Slam, what it's like to play against someone that you haven't played against, what it's like playing in different conditions, how you feel in really warm conditions.  

It's just good to have someone there that, you know, understands all of those things.  Someone maybe without the experience might walk in and be like, What the hell were you doing in the first set?  What were you playing the first six or seven games?

You know, he understands the feelings that you go through.  Once I started moving better, I played better.  Last few sets were good.  

Q.  The hamstring?

ANDY MURRAY:  It's fine.  

Q.  Does it feel a little bit different out there on Hisense?  Do you feel as though you're almost slightly removed from everything else?

ANDY MURRAY:  I mean, it's a nice court to play on because there's not much wind.  I mean, on the outside courts it's been so windy, and on Laver it's normally, from the far side, when you walk onto the court, a pretty stiff breeze you're playing into.  

But on Hisense, yeah, you don't really get that.  It's a pretty calm court.  Yeah, I mean, any of the courts would have felt different today purely because of the conditions.

Q.  At one point you didn't seem very happy with your shoes.  Was it too much grip, not enough grip?

ANDY MURRAY:  It's just different.  The court is incredibly sticky when it's that warm.  My foot got caught on the court a couple of times.  But I've had that a few times on that court especially when it's been really warm.  

Q.  So they're not new ones or different ones you're using?

ANDY MURRAY:  No, no.  

Q.  Usually at Wimbledon we're asking you about what it's like to be the last Brit.  Second day everyone's gone, so is that more so a disappointment?

ANDY MURRAY:  I'm not the person to be disappointed about that.  There are other people in charge that should be disappointed about it; not me.  I mean, I'd rather there was more Brits winning, obviously, but it's not for me to be disappointed.  

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

Ryan Harrison Interview

Q.  How would you sum up the whole experience?  How do you think you played?

RYAN HARRISON:  It was a good experience.  Playing someone like Andy on a court like Hisense in a Grand Slam, especially with the opportunities I had.  It's disappointing right now, but it's good to see what level I'm trying to get to.  

Q.  You played a pretty great first set.  Must have been feeling pretty emboldened at that point.  What was going through your head?

RYAN HARRISON:  Well, I mean, you're trying to just stay focused on your game plan because if you start thinking too much about the situation, the score, all the external things that can't help you, that's when it starts going south quickly.  

I was just trying to stay focused on the game plan.  Then early in the second when I got broken, I was trying to keep it at one break because once you get down a double break you pretty much have no chance.  If you keep it at one break, you at least have some opportunity to break back.  

I was just trying to stay focused on executing the game plan.

Q.  When you did get broken, did you feel he started to click into gear after that?

RYAN HARRISON:  For him it was probably a relief to get ahead in the score count because I took control early.  I guess that made him a little more tentative to pull the trigger on some of his shots.  He missed a few forehands he wouldn't have if he wasn't feeling the pressure.  

I guess when you go up a break, you can relax a little bit.  That's what he did.  He started placing his forehand a little better.  In the first set he was playing a lot more through the court.  It was in the zone for my backhand.  He started getting it a lot higher up.  He made that adjustment.  I didn't make the adjustment of going back or coming closer to get it in my strike zone.  

Q.  It was a very hot day.  You had some amazing rallies.  How did that affect you physically in the end?

RYAN HARRISON:  Well, I mean, I think it was a physical match for both of us.  I was tired, but he was tired as well.  Murray is kind of regarded as one of the fittest guys on tour.  

I know I was tired, but I don't feel like I was any more exhausted than he was, which is something that I guess goes to show you how hot and physical the sport can be.  We had, like you said, some long rallies.  It wasn't just one or two points that went 41 balls.  

For me, you're playing Murray.  You're not getting a lot of free points on your serve.  It's not like it's one or two rallies.  You're playing every point, you're playing long points.  Especially some of the points to win, he makes you work.  

Q.  In that context, do you think the schedule of the tour is arduous?  Do you have a view on that, the issue that's come up?

RYAN HARRISON:  With the offseason being so short?  

Q.  Yes.  

RYAN HARRISON:  Yeah, I mean, obviously it's been this way for a long time.  It's a yearround sport.  I think some people that have been playing the tour a lot longer than me can have more of an opinion on that.  It's kind of my second year.  I don't want to say too much about it just because I don't feel like it's my place at this time.  

This is the situation we're all in.  You got to do the best you can to prepare for the conditions.  I'm sure it would be great to have a longer offseason to get in a little better shape, kind of prepare a little better.  It's fair for everyone.  It's the same for everyone.  

Q.  Is there any one area of your game you think you can make the biggest level of improvement in the next year or so?

RYAN HARRISON:  My backhand.  I've gotten it to a point where I can pull the trigger with it.  I can hit some big shots with it.  It's got to be consistent in that sense where I can make it time and time again on big points and trust myself to go after it, not have to rely on chipping or pushing it.  

I'm working on it.  I've gotten it to a point where I can hit some up the line, some aggressive ones crosscourt.  It's got to be a consistent basis I can do that on.  I think that's the biggest thing I need to do that on.

Q.  What are your goals in terms of ranking this year?

RYAN HARRISON:  Right now I'm 77, I think, something like that.  You have goals.  I'd love to be in the top 20, top 30, around that area, by the end of the year.  You have to hit top 50 first, then top 40.  There's a lot of guys working to get to that point.  

In my head I have somewhere I'd like to be, but it's a long process.  You have to take it one step at a time.  

Q.  You've taken sets off guys like Ferrer, Andy, Soderling.  What do you feel is the difference between you and these guys right now?

RYAN HARRISON:  Well, I've never taken a set off one of the guys in the top four.  I played Novak in Cincinnati.  He beat me 23, something like that, I think.  Andy made semis of all four Grand Slams last year.  He's obviously pretty consistent with his results.  

Those guys, I think it's fair to say they've played a different level at the Grand Slams than other people.  

Q.  The margin is pretty small, right?  

RYAN HARRISON:  Absolutely.  We have a 12, 15ball rally at 01 in the fourth, if I break him there, start serving well, we could easily be in a fifth set now.  Ifs, ands, and buts...  It's about producing and coming through at the right moments.  There's plenty of guys that could say if they could have got a let cord to go this way, a shot to go that way, they would have been in a tighter match.  

For me it's about consistently keep putting myself in these positions, keep working hard, get to a point where I trust myself to come through.

Q.  Anything you felt he did better than you?

RYAN HARRISON:  I felt like his backhand crosscourt was a little more effective.  Whenever we were in that rally, I felt like he probably won 80% of them.  That's what I was talking about earlier.  Whenever we got in that rally, I was the one having to force myself out of that rally, whether I was slicing it up the line, trying to get him to go crosscourt to my forehand, or take a shot at it, one you're not comfortable with.  

If I feel like I'm losing the crosscourt rally on the backhand side, I might have to press my forehand a little more which makes me a little uncomfortable with my forehand.  If I have to go bigger than I want to, you're not playing in your comfort zone.  I feel like he did that better.

Q.  He's renowned as one of the players with the best slice.  You matched him well the first couple sets.  Where did your slice come from?

RYAN HARRISON:  My dad had a onehanded backhand.  He taught me the game of tennis.  In his terms, his onehanded backhand was God awful.  He had to slice it pretty well and hide it.  

Whenever I was growing up, he was still in shape, we would have backhand slice rallies.  I would claim I could beat him.  He would claim he could still beat me.  We just battled on that.  I just developed it to a point where I was comfortable with it.  

I felt like I had a few today on big points that floated a little too much.  On that same breakpoint I was talking about, I think I hit four slices in a row.  They all kind of sat up and didn't get through the court.  

The slice was effective for me.  Whenever I played it a little over the net, he had to come up in the court.  If you hit it, it sits up, floats, a guy at the top of the game is not going to miss an outright ball for no reason.

Q.  You said you played Novak recently.  How does he compare to playing Andy?

RYAN HARRISON:  They're different because Novak is a little more imposing from being a little closer to the baseline, I guess.  He plays a little more through the court.  I feel like Andy does a spectacular job of defending and he plays great defense.  It's obviously what he's known for.  

He's definitely doing better inside the court.  I think that's where he has made his improvements, learning how to dictate from inside the court.  Not that he didn't know before, but obviously he's getting better at it.  

I guess it's a little different whenever you're serving to them because Novak is on top of the baseline returning, he's kind of playing through the baseline, whereas Andy, he stays like 10 feet behind the baseline and almost lets you hit it.  It kind of comes to him.  Then he just plays it controlled back deep.  He trusts himself he's going to make more balls than you are.  

Everyone has their different game style.  Andy has done pretty well for himself to get to three major finals.  I think he's going to win a slam here pretty soon because he's been in so many positions, it's bound to happen.  

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

Access Player LinksRyan Harrison Bio

IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #433 on: January 17, 2012, 08:55 PM »

Match Summary
                                                  Murray(GBR)                Harrison(USA)

1st Serve %                           65 of 120 = 54 %      76 of 122 = 62 %

Aces                                               7                               9

Double Faults                                5                                8

Unforced Errors                             40                              61

Winning % on 1st Sve          46 of 65 = 71 %           50 of 76 = 66 %

Winning % on 2nd Sve         33 of 55 = 60 %           22 of 46 = 48 %

Winners                                       39                                47

Receiving Points Won           50 of 122 = 41 %         41 of 120 = 34 %

Break Point Conversions      5 of 15 = 33 %               2 of 7 = 29 %

Net Approaches                  23 of 33 = 70 %            21 of 31 = 68 %

Total Points Won                      129                                 113

Fastest Serve Speed            213 KMH                        215 KMH

Average 1st Serve Speed     175 KMH                       191 KMH

Average 2nd Serve Speed    136 KMH                       163 KMH

thanks for that Smile  wow Andy's serve was very poor in that match... even RH had a faster Average 1st Serve Speed  confused  blink   well you know what is up with the 2nd serve.. Im not going to rant about that... 40 Ue's that is not good but it least he balanced it out with 39 winners.  The Net Approaches  w00t now thats about the thing positive thing that I can say and also the Winner % on both serves was quite good
IP Logged
curtis71
Satellite Level

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #434 on: January 17, 2012, 09:42 PM »

Harrison played a blinding first set, Murray was typically slow from the starting blocks but managed to get hold of him from the 2nd set onwards

Harrison has great movement, a solid swing and a good eye, he will be a force to be reckoned with in the years ahead

all in all not a bad start, murray slow away like i said but i am glad as he will hopefully peak at the semi final stage, better that than now. Credit to harrison for giving it everything

c'mon now murray, just get a little better each round and by the semis you will be unbeatable Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »