Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will be packing their bags and flying home?
Andy - not a good day at the office for him. - 3 (8.3%)
Ryan - the American is quiet for once. - 33 (91.7%)
Total Voters: 34

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison

(Read 5711 times)
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #435 on: January 18, 2012, 01:17 AM »

Apollo:
Thanks for posting the interviews.
 I thought the one with Harrison was very interesting. He seems a sensible lad with a good head on his shoulders.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #436 on: January 18, 2012, 08:08 AM »

Was wondering about Andy's serve but the courts are very slow and that's effecting all serve speed.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #437 on: January 18, 2012, 03:54 PM »

Match Summary
                                                  Murray(GBR)                Harrison(USA)

1st Serve %                           65 of 120 = 54 %      76 of 122 = 62 %

Aces                                               7                               9

Double Faults                                5                                8

Unforced Errors                             40                              61

Winning % on 1st Sve          46 of 65 = 71 %           50 of 76 = 66 %

Winning % on 2nd Sve         33 of 55 = 60 %           22 of 46 = 48 %

Winners                                       39                                47

Receiving Points Won           50 of 122 = 41 %         41 of 120 = 34 %

Break Point Conversions      5 of 15 = 33 %               2 of 7 = 29 %

Net Approaches                  23 of 33 = 70 %            21 of 31 = 68 %

Total Points Won                      129                                 113

Fastest Serve Speed            213 KMH                        215 KMH

Average 1st Serve Speed     175 KMH                       191 KMH

Average 2nd Serve Speed    136 KMH                       163 KMH

Harrison employed a very physical game; reason why his serve speed is higher than those of Andy's. That was Harrison's gameplan to overpower Andy and he almost did but with that sort of gameplan, it's very hard to sustain if you don't wrap it up in three quick sets. Just ask Cilic. Harrion's strategy should have been mixed. Conserve energy whenever possible and go for shots when it’s within his power and zone, but he pretty much went for each shot even towards the end. You’d think he would adjust his game in the 3rd set but by that time, he was already exhausted. lol

Andy did an excellent job in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th set by staying calm and keeping the pressure on Harrison's serve. That was his strategy and it paid off. Once all ends, Andy will be regarded as the most dynamic and intelligent player in history of tennis. That is, though, if he finally sorts out his mental game.  Here’s hoping…
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #438 on: January 18, 2012, 04:06 PM »

EMMA: Never has a truer word been spoken!

"Andy did an excellent job in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th set by staying calm and keeping the pressure on Harrison's serve. That was his strategy and it paid off. Once all ends, Andy will be regarded as the most dynamic and intelligent player in history of tennis. That is, though, if he finally sorts out his mental game.  Here’s hoping…"
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #439 on: January 18, 2012, 04:37 PM »

I really enjoyed reading Harrison's post match interview. Quite accurate and to the point. Very mature for a 19 year old I must say. He was obviously very much looking forward to it and he should have. Every time these youngsters play a top player, they have so much to learn and they do. I think these newcomers be it Harrison or Tomic or Raonic are holding on their own quite nicely.

It's such a shame though that I didn't get to enjoy this match as much as I should have, but I was really pulling for an easy win for Andy. But if I weren't such a big fan, I probably would have enjoyed it much more. But not all is lost. I plan to watch it after AO. Ho hum.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #440 on: January 18, 2012, 04:44 PM »

EMMA: Never has a truer word been spoken!

"Andy did an excellent job in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th set by staying calm and keeping the pressure on Harrison's serve. That was his strategy and it paid off. Once all ends, Andy will be regarded as the most dynamic and intelligent player in history of tennis. That is, though, if he finally sorts out his mental game.  Here’s hoping…"

Thanks. I do speak the truth. Smile
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #441 on: January 18, 2012, 04:56 PM »

Was wondering about Andy's serve but the courts are very slow and that's effecting all serve speed.

Courts are playing a bit slow, yes but in Andy's case, his nerves got in the way. He missed a lot of first serves and that had nothing to do with the slowness of the surface.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #442 on: January 18, 2012, 06:30 PM »

Courts are playing a bit slow, yes but in Andy's case, his nerves got in the way. He missed a lot of first serves and that had nothing to do with the slowness of the surface.

I didn't mean that. In the few games I saw, Harrison was returning Andy's first serve on a regular basis. Unusual. Thus, I wondered if the courts had slowed the serve down.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #443 on: January 18, 2012, 07:45 PM »

Regarding Andys' nerves, in the Annabel Croft interview (see video thread) he says he's nervous at the start of matches.
You often hear him say that.

Harrison, 5 yrs his junior and a lot less experienced player didnt seem nervous, or at least not let it show or affect his play. Mind you Harrison had nothing to lose (reputation wise), so to speak.

It must be inherent in Andys make-up to be nervous since he mentions it so often. I wonder if he can learn to deal with nervosity with the help of Lendl?
He also does yoga, which may help.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #444 on: January 18, 2012, 11:32 PM »

Apollo:
Thanks for posting the interviews.
 I thought the one with Harrison was very interesting. He seems a sensible lad with a good head on his shoulders.
Thanks from me too, Apollo. Smile

I agree with what you say.  I think this lad will go right to the top. yes  Interesting though that Lendl was apparently very happy with Andy's performance.  Well, he does know what it's all about, so despite what some of us may have thought, we should respect that.

Regarding Andys' nerves, in the Annabel Croft interview (see video thread) he says he's nervous at the start of matches.
You often hear him say that.

Harrison, 5 yrs his junior and a lot less experienced player didnt seem nervous, or at least not let it show or affect his play. Mind you Harrison had nothing to lose (reputation wise), so to speak.

It must be inherent in Andys make-up to be nervous since he mentions it so often. I wonder if he can learn to deal with nervosity with the help of Lendl?
He also does yoga, which may help.
He should also consider learning TM (Transcendental Meditation).  That should help with his nerves and make him generally calmer and more at peace within himself.  I know it did with me, and quite a few sports personalities practise the technique, not just from a relaxation aspect but because, contrary to some perceived ideas about meditation, it can actually make you more mentally alert since your mind is less stressed.  I did notice in his Brisbane final that he was occasionally doing some breathing exercises at change of ends, and these help too.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #445 on: January 19, 2012, 06:06 AM »

Aileen, even if Lendl was very "unhappy" with Andy's performance I would be shocked if he voiced the tiniest bit of criticism to the press. Nay, I would be demanding his sacking Boxing
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »