Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2012 R2: Murray vs Roger-Vasselin 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will make it to round 3?
Andy - nerves settle down and takes it in 3 sets. - 37 (92.5%)
Andy - he serves up a couple of French sticks but loses concentration to take it in 4 sets, again! - 2 (5%)
Édouard - fresh and the Frenchman takes it in 3 sets. - 0 (0%)
Édouard - he takes advantage of an exhausted Andy in 4 sets. - 0 (0%)
Play is stopped as the court begins to melt in the Aussie heat. - 1 (2.5%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 24 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2012 R2: Murray vs Roger-Vasselin

(Read 5417 times)
ak400
Futures Level

16 Grand Slams = peRFection

Re: AO 2012 R2: Murray vs Roger-Vasselin « Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 11:39 AM »

Yep, ak400, I'm reading Rafa's book at the mo. There's an amazing account of when he won the AO in 09 and he was almost dead after beating Verdasco in the semis in five hours. Couldn't get out of bed the next day, legs like lead. He had a day off, tried to hit and after 20 mins had to be helped off court. The heat's a huge factor. Only adrenaline and a rousing speech from Toni got him onto the court against your mate.

Who he beat in five sets. In case you've forgotten.

Rafa is like an animal one of the best atheletes ever in our sport they come along once every 20 years or so! He played a fine match against Roger! But Roger won the next 2 slams and ended the year number 1

But this is Murray;s match thread so you need to say on topic Grabcopy Wink I like his chances tomorrow but he needs to get it done quickly its only going to get harder, and no one else on the tour apart from Djokovic could play 2 5 setters in a row and win in the heat of Australia.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: AO 2012 R2: Murray vs Roger-Vasselin « Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 12:32 PM »

That Aussie final was as good as Wimbledon 08 until the last set.

It's interesting that Rafa says in his book how Federer's game deserts him  time and again in fifth sets and in tight situations. He says his groundshots have nothing on them and that all that rescues him is his serve. I'm not goading you - just reporting what Rafa says.
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

16 Grand Slams = peRFection

Re: AO 2012 R2: Murray vs Roger-Vasselin « Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 12:40 PM »

That Aussie final was as good as Wimbledon 08 until the last set.

It's interesting that Rafa says in his book how Federer's game deserts him  time and again in fifth sets and in tight situations. He says his groundshots have nothing on them and that all that rescues him is his serve. I'm not goading you - just reporting what Rafa says.

That is Rafa's opinion so that's up to him as Roger said the other day "when Rafa first came on tour he just said I agree with Roger to everything, now he seems to have grown up and is starting to form his own opinions which is great".

Getting back on topic, Murray volleyed well in his first match that would be a very good play for him here just to help him get through the match in a clinical fashion!
IP Logged
Jayel
Junior

IT JUST GETS BETTER

Re: AO 2012 R2: Murray vs Roger-Vasselin « Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 01:13 PM »

See the jammy dodger has a walk over and misses playing in the heat and on Hisense! confused Whistle

Did anyone else see the RF interview where he said that his unfit opponent "loves playing me". Comment from pundit Greg R - from anyone else that would sound arrogant, but from Roger the GOAT  .......!!!!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2012 R2: Murray vs Roger-Vasselin « Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 02:30 PM »

Thanks, Bev for this thread. Andy should be on cruise control. He should make a statement here.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2012 R2: Murray vs Roger-Vasselin « Reply #35 on: January 18, 2012, 02:33 PM »

Roger loves thrashing Andy's in majors but you are only as good as your last match Wink

That being said Murray should be fine here only see one result really key is saving energy for later rounds his first match was quite a physical encounter

Mark, do you see any relevance of this post here especially the bolded part? I'd like to know.
[ Last edit by -Emma- January 18, 2012, 03:35 PM ] IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: AO 2012 R2: Murray vs Roger-Vasselin « Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 03:03 PM »

offtopic
I hope the Mods take note of AK400's latest irrelevant FEDERER posting, 12.22 today.
Responding quickly to Grabcopy post, 12.20 here is yet another example of completely off topic pro-Federer and anti-Murray bile. , which is not related whatsover to Grabcopys posting.

"Roger loves thrashing Andy's in majors but you are only as good as your last match"

then this:
"But this is Murray;s match thread so you need to say on topic Grabcopy" ;-)

and again:
"That is Rafa's opinion so that's up to him as Roger said the other day "when Rafa first came on tour he just said I agree with Roger to everything, now he seems to have grown up and is starting to form his own opinions which is great".

Getting back on topic, Murray volleyed well in his first match that would be a very good play for him here just to help him get through the match in a clinical fashion!"

thread hijacked This guy has to bring FEDERER into every conceivable discussion.

He was away for a day, and I started to enjoy the discussions once again.... but my heart sank just now, he's back to the same old FEDERER this and ROGER that.

He's continually taking the p*ss out of the Mods and being patronising to other members.

IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2012 R2: Murray vs Roger-Vasselin « Reply #37 on: January 18, 2012, 03:15 PM »

I hope the Mods take note of AK400's latest irrelevant FEDERER post which is not related whatsover to Grabcopys posting.

I'm not a ak400 fan, but I do think, on this occasion, that their post was relevant.  Doesn't mean it was fun to read, mind, but that's beside the point.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2012 R2: Murray vs Roger-Vasselin « Reply #38 on: January 18, 2012, 05:02 PM »

Murray should win this one comfortably, but that brings with it pressure of its own, against Harrison Murray was playing a future top player, there was always the chance the match could go more than 3 sets. However after seeing the ease with which the top 3 have eased through, the pressure is on Murray to put in a similar perfomance against Vasselin.

Vasselin has shown he doesnt mind pressure he took out Juan Martin Del Potro just after he won the Open in 2009. I expect Murray to come through but keeping energy in reserve will be huge for him if he gets extended here then its going to get harder and harder to repeat the last two years, the pressure is on him big time, how he responds we are going to see very soon.
The difference is that the top 3 all had easy rides in R1, although Federer was sailing a little close to the wind in his first set before he finally got the better of his opponent.

I really don't see why Andy should feel pressurised in this match.  In fact playing someone as good as Harrison was probably to his benefit, even although it was unfortunate that he had to go four sets in stiflingly hot and humid conditions.  Luckily the temperature will be lower tomorrow, and Andy willl be looking to get the match over with as quickly as possible.  He's extremely fit so hopefully will have recovered from the Harrison match.

As for Vasselin beating del Potro, I wouldn't read anything into that.  I think his exertions in the USO final took a great deal out of him both mentally and phyisically.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: AO 2012 R2: Murray vs Roger-Vasselin « Reply #39 on: January 18, 2012, 06:13 PM »

If E.R-V. was British he'd be No 2 in ranking. As he's French he's No 12. Says it all really.
Am hoping this match is not on too early so I'll catch it  but in just case: Hey Come on:
 toot
IP Logged
mcenroeforever
Satellite Level

Re: AO 2012 R2: Murray vs Roger-Vasselin « Reply #40 on: January 18, 2012, 06:59 PM »

This one looks like as good a 2nd round match up as Andy could have hoped for, a straightforward win i reckon. Great news about the court time, not so bad when it's early morning in the uk from a viewing point of view.
As for ak400, I hope you hang around a while, your hero is in for a torrid time and i look forward to hearing from you when he crashes out..probably has to come through Karlovic, Tomic/Dolgopolov, Del Potro, Rafa, Andy/Novak to win..not enough gas in the old swiss tank for that i'm afraid!

C'mon Andy, stay focused and you're in the 3rd round with plenty to spare.
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: AO 2012 R2: Murray vs Roger-Vasselin « Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 07:05 PM »

See the jammy dodger has a walk over and misses playing in the heat and on Hisense! confused Whistle

Roger seems to get a lot of matches where his opponent retires or the guys really low in the ranking. Pretty easy to stay up in the rankings when you have no competition.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: AO 2012 R2: Murray vs Roger-Vasselin « Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 07:09 PM »

^Think I need my eyes tested?
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: AO 2012 R2: Murray vs Roger-Vasselin « Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 07:14 PM »

Or - yer heid?  Smile 
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: AO 2012 R2: Murray vs Roger-Vasselin « Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 07:15 PM »

No, it's Apollo that's had too much to drink!  lmao
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 24 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »