Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions please
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Djokovic in 3
Djokovic in 4
Djokovic in 5

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 143 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1]

(Read 24683 times)
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #240 on: January 26, 2013, 03:32 PM »

:
I'd need to go to Hawaii for that. wink
roflmao...indeed. doh
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #241 on: January 26, 2013, 03:33 PM »

It's notable that Murray's the one hampered by a day less recovery - a reversal of the US Open. I suspect that this will be one of the deciding factors tomorrow, with Djokovic emerging victorious after Murray runs out of steam.
Perhaps.

You have to take into account that Murray will get his usual two day rest whilst Djokovic actually gets a day more than normal - compared to New York where Djokovic got a day less than usual, which possibly hampered the time he had to recover.

I do wonder how less recovery time will balance off against less time on court throughout the tournament. I imagine, and certainly hope that two days is more than enough for Murray to recover from yesterday's match and be fully fit for the final. He's played long matches before and recovered fine, although of course he's never had to face a fresh Djokovic in the next round.

slightly more than a month in fact as IW starts 7th March - I just checked earlier for this very reason. It's possible Andy might play a local tournament they had said - delmore beach or something?  Don't know if will be televised here though even if he does.
Delray Beach - a 250 event in the same week as Dubai and Acapulco. Isner and Fish usually play there and it's normally quite a strong field. The latter rounds would probably be televised somewhere (most likely Eurosport), should Andy opt to play there as has been rumoured, but there should definitely be streams available regardless.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #242 on: January 26, 2013, 03:59 PM »

I don't think what happened in Shanghai will happen in the final tomorrow. Andy had a virus in Shanghai, I still think he picked it up in Tokyo. Also, I think Andy didn't have a lot to give emotionally after winning the USO. I just think he lost that bit of whatever it is that gets a player over the line in certain situations, because he went to the well a number of times during the USO.

Now it's early in the season. It seems as if Miami went well in terms of training, and Andy is on a 10-0 win/loss record for the year. He's just beaten Federer for the first time in a major, and not just beaten him, but dominated him for the vast majority of the match. I think that win is huge for Andy.

There is a danger that emotionally the match yesterday would have taken a lot out of Andy, but somehow I don't think it will have a bearing. He walked out on that court yesterday looking like a man who expected to win. I thought he looked nervous, but I think that is to be expected. Once the match was underway I thought Andy settled quickly. He also didn't waste a lot of energy during the match getting annoyed with himself in those moments when things didn't go to plan immediately, i.e. in the tiebreaks, or in getting too involved when Federer started to throw a hissy fit. Giving someone a look, or rather a healthy sneer of derision, is much better than bickering over the net. Can you imagine, seriously, if Federer had been playing Berdych yesterday? It would have been handbags at 20 paces!

I still feel that Andy's lack of obvious celebration yesterday was not a sign of impending doom, but of someone who does want to keep some energy in the tank, sure, but who knows that the job is not over yet and there is still work to be done.

I know Djokovic has had that extra day between the semi and the final. It's debateable if that is helpful or not. It does him chance to recharge. On the other hand it could spoil his rhythm. In terms of time on court in total I have a feeling that Andy has spent at least an hour on court less than Djokovic through the tournament, even allowing for Andy's semi going to five sets.

I do think it will be close, it could come down to points here and there. I just think Andy's form was so strong against Federer. He responded when he was threatened, served brilliantly apart from one brief patch and returned beautifully. I think he is in a good position. I just think it will come down to how far Andy wants to go, how much he is able to take from all the success he has had since last summer. I think he will be fine, and I still think he is going to do it.
IP Logged
Johnny Handsome
Futures Level

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #243 on: January 26, 2013, 04:04 PM »

good point, he was emotionally a little burnt out in his last two matches with novak and still pushed him close.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #244 on: January 26, 2013, 04:28 PM »

^ Good posting TJ.

Ultimately whatever way it goes tomorrow depends on the players themselves, i.e. how they feel and perform on the day, or even (taking their biorhythms into account) at the time, given that it's evening in Oz, the conditions on the court and, to a lesser extent, the crowd itself.  I'm just glad that Andy at least managed to get one night match under his belt before this one, and one against Federer at that - something which must really have boosted his confidence.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #245 on: January 26, 2013, 05:02 PM »

TJ: Andy rarely celebrates much after beating smugfed.  He may not like him but he has great respect for his GOAT status and I always get the feeling that he would think it somehow indecent to go over board having beaten him.  But also I'm sure it was as he said he wanted to conserve all his energy as job not yet done.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #246 on: January 26, 2013, 05:07 PM »

I think all the momentum is with Andy tomorrow. He's coming off success at the USO, a big psychological win against Federer, and the knowledge that he came within a whisker of defeating Djoko on that very court last year, before all the success that he's had since.  Djoko will fight like hell, but he has no psychological hold over Andy.  I think Andy's chances of a solid victory are excellent, probably better than 50/50, but he will need every ounce of his courage, strength and skill. I wish him all the luck in the world.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #247 on: January 26, 2013, 05:09 PM »

^ Amen to that, Fiverings.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #248 on: January 26, 2013, 05:27 PM »

TJ: Andy rarely celebrates much after beating smugfed.  He may not like him but he has great respect for his GOAT status and I always get the feeling that he would think it somehow indecent to go over board having beaten him.  But also I'm sure it was as he said he wanted to conserve all his energy as job not yet done.

I agree about the respect thing to be honest. I get the feeling sometimes that Andy might not like Federer much as a person, but does admire what he has achieved.

I wonder whether Fed will still be in the running for thost sportsmanship awards though?
IP Logged
starrieyed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #249 on: January 26, 2013, 05:28 PM »

Teejay1 I like what you say. I firmly believe that Andy is there to win...Lendl mentality! the semi is done and dusted. You do not celebrate 'till the job is done.  Do I think he will win? Of course I think he will win. But to beat the Jok you have to beat the Jok. You have to beat the Jok. 
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #250 on: January 26, 2013, 05:41 PM »

Another poster from Nial Smith:

IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #251 on: January 26, 2013, 05:50 PM »

Kevin Spacey just tweeted this:

"Hanging w/ champions @Andy_Murray @DjokerNole in the players room. Great guys, it will be an epic match tonight!"

IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #252 on: January 26, 2013, 06:15 PM »

Novak considered overwhelming favorite by bookies at 1/2 odds on, with Andy at 7/4. also MTF seem to have him as clear favorite as do many of the media 'experts' am i missing something here?
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #253 on: January 26, 2013, 06:20 PM »

Novak considered overwhelming favorite by bookies at 1/2 odds on, with Andy at 7/4. also MTF seem to have him as clear favorite as do many of the media 'experts' am i missing something here?

I guess it comes with being the two-time-defending-champion. Murray has lost both finals he played here in straight sets. He also lost their 2 most recent meetings. And then there is the David Ferrer match...

I don't necessarily agree, but it will be all the sweeter if Andy proves them wrong. Smile

MTF is known for jinxes, so hopefully that will help.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #254 on: January 26, 2013, 06:24 PM »

Wonder if andy will fit a trip to scotland in before going stateside? Hes been awarded freedom of stirling & his team said he would get to collect it inbetween tournaments  Think
He's always returned to London for a while before going off to Miami again, so he could easily fit in a visit to Stirling.

Also there's the small question as to when he's going to be able to be presented with his OBE.  Around 14 investitures are normally held at Buckingham Palace each year (the first one was on 25 Jan), the recipients being summoned to attend, but as there was a much larger number of awards this year, then probably more will be held.  Palace officials must be well aware of sporting schedules, but with Andy abroad so often it might pose a few problems, and I can't imagine he'd want this coming in the middle of Queens/Wimbledon.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 143 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »