Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions please
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Djokovic in 3
Djokovic in 4
Djokovic in 5

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 143 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1]

(Read 22673 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #270 on: January 26, 2013, 07:30 PM »

interestingly  Andy has only hit 2DF s   through out the whole tournament.

winners AM - 203 ND - 233 UE AM - 162 ND - 157 Double faults AM - 2 ND - 10

First serve percentage AM - 65.5 % ND - 66.5%
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #271 on: January 26, 2013, 07:31 PM »

I agree Ruthie.    I also think that Ross is never far from his mind these days and what his friend is going through puts tennis matches into perspective.

Exactly - actually think that sense of perspective may help give him the edge - or help him any way in that  knowing there are worse things in life than losing a tennis match is helping him stay so calm - and thus improving his focus. If that makes sense
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #272 on: January 26, 2013, 07:35 PM »

AS there is only a few hours now until my Australian Open final against Novak Djokovic, I thought I’d share a few insights into my preparation for the match and what I learnt from my two big matches against him last year, the first in a semi-final in Melbourne and the other one, obviously, in New York.

But first a memory from the US Open final last September that might give some of you a bit of a laugh. It’s something only the eagle-eyed might have noticed and when I look back now, I still shake my head but given the result, all is well that ends well.

When I was serving for the US title against Novak and leading 30-0, I was deep in the zone, thinking about where to put my first serve, hoping I’d get a free point out of Novak, that’s something that doesn’t happen very often. Decision made, I walked up to the baseline, bounced the ball and … realised I was about to serve to the wrong side of the court, this at the biggest moment of my career. You’d think I’d have known better after 20 years or so of playing! It actually had nothing to do with nerves, even though I was serving for my first grand slam title. As I said at the time, because I had built it up so much in my head, thought so much about being in the position to win a slam, I didn’t actually feel that nervous!

I just think it is all to do with being so much in the zone and while I haven’t done it too much, I watch a lot of matches and it does happen to other players. I was watching Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in his match against Roger a few nights before our semi-final and he went to walk to the chair when it was only 2-all. It’s very weird!

Now to what I hope will be a good omen for tonight’s final against Novak. If any of you watched either the US Open final or my semi-final against Roger the other night, you may have noticed a familiar face in the stands. A few actors, like Will Ferrell, are really big tennis fans and it turns out that Kevin Spacey is another. He must be, given this Tweet from the other night – “Congrats @Andy_Murray for his win! Can’t wait for Sunday night – Flew to Melbourne to watch. Awesome game!”. Kevin starred in one of my favourite films of all time, The Usual Suspects, where he played the criminal mastermind Keyser Soze.

Now to the final. Since my win over Roger on Friday night, I have focused all my energy on preparing for the final. It was great to beat Roger for the first time in a grand slam but knowing the job wasn’t complete, I headed straight to an ice bath before completing my media obligations. I didn’t leave Melbourne Park till about 2am, so it was a late night.

The plan yesterday was to sleep for as long as possible before going about further recovery. On waking up, I had a full breakfast, toast, a fruit platter, some yoghurt and then headed to the pool for a swim and a massage to loosen up the body. It doesn’t matter how fit you are, after a match like the one I had with Roger, you are going to wake up a little sore. But that’s why I’ve got my great team here.

Lunch was dinner and rice then a little more stretching and massage, but mostly I tried not to expend too much energy. I had a very light practice, only about 30 minutes or so, later in the day before dinner and then to stay up as long as I could last night. Because the final is played at night, you don’t want to go to bed early otherwise your body clock will be slowing down right at key moments in the final. Before going to the courts today, I’ll have another proper breakfast and lunch to keep the body fuelled, with my last meal about 90 minutes before we go on to the court.

I’m really looking forward to the final. My results over the last year show I’ve played my best tennis in the big matches, the slam finals and the Olympics. It doesn’t mean you are going to win every time but there is not much more you can do than that.

The thing that changes from winning big matches is that you have that extra bit of belief when you go out on the court. I think the thing with Roger and Rafa and then Novak over the past five or six years is that they have kept setting the bar at new levels and it has been up to the rest to catch up and I think I have done a good job with that.

Last year, when I played Novak here in a semi-final, that match was important for the rest of my career because it proved to me how close I was to breaking through if I improved a few small things.

It is obviously going to be tough and this might sound strange, but I hope am feeling in pain late on Sunday because that will mean I am right in the final. With our game styles, we play a lot of long points and have long rallies and we both return very well, so it is very tough to get free points.

Every time we played last year, it was incredibly close and very, very long matches. I wouldn’t expect anything different tonight but I’m aiming to come out on top!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #273 on: January 26, 2013, 07:35 PM »

I agree Ruthie.    I also think that Ross is never far from his mind these days and what his friend is going through puts tennis matches into perspective.
It most certainly will do, and yet Andy clearly wants to do his best for Ross, so therein lies even more motivation.

Maybe it's me that needs to see a psychologist?? LOL  I don't feel the least bit nervous about this match (yet!) because I know that for once I'll be watching a GS final and not be sitting with my stomach tied in knots wondering if this is going to finally be the one.  I now know that Andy can do it, and that's good enough for me.
[ Last edit by Aileen January 26, 2013, 07:41 PM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #274 on: January 26, 2013, 07:39 PM »

Maybe it's me that needs to see a psychologist?? LOL  I don't feel the least bit nervous about this match (yet!) because I know that for once I'll be watching a GS final and not be sitting with my stomach tied in knots wondering if this is going to finally be the one. 
That's exactly how I felt before his match with Fed, but I was a basketcase watching it, and now I'm more nervous than ever. nervous
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #275 on: January 26, 2013, 07:39 PM »

Yes I think you are right he will surely put the match in perspective when he thinks about his friend Ross who has cancer. Those are the real things in life, tennis is his life but not his whole life. His family friends and Kim are important too as are Maggie May and Rusty who are part of his family. I think Andy is sensible he will want to win and has the drive to do so. But we must remember it is only a game of tennis even though it is a Grand Slam.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #276 on: January 26, 2013, 07:47 PM »

That's exactly how I felt before his match with Fed, but I was a basketcase watching it, and now I'm more nervous than ever. nervous
I felt nervous about the Fed match but once it started I began to feel calmer.  There was something about Andy that made me feel certain he was going to win it.  I'm not sure how I'll really feel about this match until tomorrow morning when the players come onto the court.

Yes I think you are right he will surely put the match in perspective when he thinks about his friend Ross who has cancer. Those are the real things in life, tennis is his life but not his whole life. His family friends and Kim are important too as are Maggie May and Rusty who are part of his family. I think Andy is sensible he will want to win and has the drive to do so. But we must remember it is only a game of tennis even though it is a Grand Slam.
Actually, when I think about it, maybe it's because of Ross's situation that I feel so calm, i.e. it's like there's a different perspective here now.
[ Last edit by Aileen January 26, 2013, 07:53 PM ] IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #277 on: January 26, 2013, 07:56 PM »

Well I felt very calm yesterday and still feel the same way, no butterflies in my stomach. I was the same way last year watching Andy at the US. Whistle hug
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #278 on: January 26, 2013, 08:02 PM »

Yesterday was a lovely day - a day of triumph for Andy - a tremendous win which he took with quiet grace and a lovely start to our wedding anniversary (38 years) and which added to the enjoyment of a meal at our favourite restaurant. Today I have spent doing many things warmed by the anticipation of the Clash of the Titans to come tomorrow morning. I doubt there will be the thinly veiled animosity of yesterday's match - at least I hope not - competition and sharp rivalry  - yes - it spices the excellent tennis I am sure we will see. I would love it to be Andy who wins and takes the title - that would  really threaten Novak's supremacy as No. 1 even if a few more wins like it would be needed to bring it to reality, but the excitement of watching Andy achieve what we know he wants to achieve and has the talent to achieve will be a real pleasure over the next few years.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #279 on: January 26, 2013, 08:06 PM »

Actually, when I think about it, maybe it's because of Ross's situation that I feel so calm, i.e. it's like there's a different perspective here now.
So really, all things considered Aileen, if anyone should be calm it should be me.
But I'm not. no
What is wrong with me??!   pullhair
I'm going out to do some stuff, that will take my mind off.

I'm very glad to see many of you are calm. Smile
Happy 38th Anniversary Jan! Wow.. that's a long time. These are for you and your husband :  flowers
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #280 on: January 26, 2013, 08:15 PM »

I said this a couple of days ago.
What was I thinking??!!
My nerves are so on edge, it's ridiculous.  nervous  nervous  nervous
oh how we like to fool ourselves Linda!   But however nervous we are at least THAT question isn't hanging over proceedings.
EJ - I think Andy's downbeat reaction to beating the smug one suggests your fears are groundless.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #281 on: January 26, 2013, 08:15 PM »

Yesterday was a lovely day - a day of triumph for Andy - a tremendous win which he took with quiet grace and a lovely start to our wedding anniversary (38 years) and which added to the enjoyment of a meal at our favourite restaurant. Today I have spent doing many things warmed by the anticipation of the Clash of the Titans to come tomorrow morning. I doubt there will be the thinly veiled animosity of yesterday's match - at least I hope not - competition and sharp rivalry  - yes - it spices the excellent tennis I am sure we will see. I would love it to be Andy who wins and takes the title - that would  really threaten Novak's supremacy as No. 1 even if a few more wins like it would be needed to bring it to reality, but the excitement of watching Andy achieve what we know he wants to achieve and has the talent to achieve will be a real pleasure over the next few years.

Happy Anniversary, it's lovely to hear of people staying together, doesn't seem to be the norm these days, I am a mere junior with 20 years lol!!!  Clash of the Titans it certainly will be, what I think is the most impressive element to Andy's progress is his mental fortitude, a year ago he would have buckled in the fifth set.  He has a confidence now on the court that he did not have before, he is able to put a bad service game, a poorly played point etc behind him quickly and get over it and on with it.  We always knew he had the talent in abundance but he just needed to strengthen his mental fragility and what a job he has done.  Andy Murray is the best tennis player this country has ever produced and I think it may be a very long wait until such a talent emerges again and I still don't get why so many people still want to diss him, it defies belief.   So come on Andy, show everyone that this is going to be another momentous year in your amazing career.  Part 1 you did yesterday and boy you did it brilliantly and part 2 comes tommorrow.  Good luck.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #282 on: January 26, 2013, 08:18 PM »

congratulations Jan and how nice of Andy to give you an anniversary present!  No I'm sure there won't be any animosity.  They are good friends, which won't stop them trying to blast each other off the court.  But at the end they'll embrace like they did at end of USO.  I have a lovely photo of that when they both look so young and vulnerable somehow.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #283 on: January 26, 2013, 08:24 PM »

oh how we like to fool ourselves Linda!   But however nervous we are at least THAT question isn't hanging over proceedings.
EJ - I think Andy's downbeat reaction to beating the smug one suggests your fears are groundless.

I didn't base it on Andy's downbeat reaction.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #284 on: January 26, 2013, 08:42 PM »

All your good wishes are very much appreciated. Something I enjoyed a few days ago was Ross himself on the team at Eurosport. He has had his first dose of chemo and I hope future doses will not upset him too much. Treatment does cause problems but his cancer is curable and there is every hope that he will recover completely.  There are many players on the tour who regard themselves as Andy's friends and Novak is certainly one of them - in fact to me it is an indication of the kind of person Andy is that he has so many friends among his fellow tennis champs.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 143 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »