Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions please
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Djokovic in 3
Djokovic in 4
Djokovic in 5

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 143 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1]  (Read 19507 times)
Rachie
Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #300 on: January 26, 2013, 09:17 PM »

Here's something nobody's thought to mention: dominant though he is, Djokovic hasn't won a slam in an entire year. That must weigh on his mind.

True i think it does - not forgetting how he came up short vs Andy and Del Potro which left him without an olympic medal also! If Andy wins he'll be world no 3 whilst holding 2 slams, while no1 would hold none!! ---Very WTA!!

IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #301 on: January 26, 2013, 09:25 PM »

True i think it does - not forgetting how he came up short vs Andy and Del Potro which left him without an olympic medal also! If Andy wins he'll be world no 3 whilst holding 2 slams, while no1 would hold none!! ---Very WTA!!

In my opinion, it's not WTA like, though some may differ. People like Wozniaki, Jankovic or Safina didn't even win slams. Nole has 5 slams. Nole wouldn't still be holding onto #1 due to playing a lot of small tournaments but due to reaching 6 of the last 8 slam finals (!) and winning 4 slams in 2 years. Not to mention winning the WTF and a number of masters titles. So it's not WTA-like imo, although I've already read this a lot, which is too bad.

ANYhow - Hope it's a great final. This rivalry is really building some hype & momentum - now with their second slam final in a row - and it's great for the game imo to have more that 2 slam winners at the top but instead to have a handful at the top. Hurrah!

yay
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #302 on: January 26, 2013, 09:29 PM »

This rivalry is really building some hype & momentum - now with their second slam final in a row - and it's great for the game imo to have more that 2 slam winners at the top but instead to have a handful at the top. Hurrah!

yay

I like the Nole/Andy rivalry but I feel it's not a great match-up tennis-wise. I have to say that Federer-Nadal produced far more exciting stuff.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #303 on: January 26, 2013, 09:37 PM »

Despite Laundry's 3-set expectations, I believe the match will go to 5 sets.

The last few games between the two rivals have gone to either 3 or 5 sets depending on the tourney. The one exception was the SF in the Olympics.

As to whom will be the victor, I won't say, but I pray it will be Andy.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #304 on: January 26, 2013, 09:40 PM »

In my opinion, it's not WTA like, though some may differ. People like Wozniaki, Jankovic or Safina didn't even win slams. Nole has 5 slams. Nole wouldn't still be holding onto #1 due to playing a lot of small tournaments but due to reaching 6 of the last 8 slam finals (!) and winning 4 slams in 2 years. Not to mention winning the WTF and a number of masters titles. So it's not WTA-like imo, although I've already read this a lot, which is too bad.

ANYhow - Hope it's a great final. This rivalry is really building some hype & momentum - now with their second slam final in a row - and it's great for the game imo to have more that 2 slam winners at the top but instead to have a handful at the top. Hurrah!

yay

Don't get me wrong Janet in no way am i claiming Novak is like those girls you mentioned. He is obviously a supreme player and deserved no1, I was just saying its very unusual on the ATP tour for a current world no 1 not to hold any slams within a 12 month period.

IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #305 on: January 26, 2013, 09:55 PM »

^ It's okay Rachie. To be totally transparent, my fave is Nole and Andy's my second, so I am probably being overly-sensitive, sorry.  rose I read it in Tignor's blog and just thought it was kind of an unfair comparison so when I saw it here I couldn't help put in 2-cents. Should just get prepared because if Andy wins - and I see the final as 50-50 - there'll be a lot more of it. I just sorta feel that, referring to the WTA- situation, if Serena were/is the REAL number 1, her problem is that she plays less events than the others, nor is she consistent on all surfaces (e.g. clay). But Nole and Andy played the same amount events last year - I think Fed played more in 2011 and 2012 - and Nole just ended with more titles and deeper results at slams/masters is all.

Yes. If Andy wins it'll seem weird in that he'll've had the most successful results at the BIG events since last July. That's what most fans and media remember. And he'll still be behind Fed, too, which is actually even weirder than him being behind Nole. Fed won Wimbles but went out in QFs and SFs of two slams, whereas Nole has made both finals at least. DEFINITELY Andy should be #2 it would seem. But he focused on the slams last year. This year, I think he said his goal is to be more consistent at the Masters too. And I am sure he will be. It's a matter of time. If he wins I think it puts him within a 1000 of Fed, and he could make that up before clay almost I should think.

In 2011 it took Nole to win AO, and then go on a 43 match win streak not seen in 20 odd years, and he STILL wasn't #1. He only overtook it when he won Wimbledon. So yeah. Whoever said it's a long road to the top was right - but Andy's well on his way methinks.

IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #306 on: January 26, 2013, 10:17 PM »

Thats OK Janet--- Hey at least tommorow is a win- win for you x!!

I think Andy will reach no 1 this year but he needs to be more consistent in the masters events. It seemed liked they were an inconvenience to him last year in his quest for a slam which is understandable, but #1 ranking is all he needs to for him to begin to establish himself as one of the greats.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #307 on: January 26, 2013, 10:43 PM »

toast cheers Rachie! Here's to a good one!  cmon yeah
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #308 on: January 26, 2013, 11:05 PM »

A win/win for you tomorrow, Janet. May the best man win on the day, but may it please be Andy for me. Smile
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #309 on: January 26, 2013, 11:06 PM »

May the best man win on the day, but may it please be Andy for me. Smile
Amen to that!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #310 on: January 26, 2013, 11:14 PM »

I'm a bit nervous, but mostly really excited. I've just got the same feeling I had before the USO final, where Andy winning was so clear in my mind it was weird.

It will obviously be a different sort of match to the semi, but there was something about Andy in the semi that tells me this is his time. He looks hungry, motivated and prepared to do whatever it takes to win.

Going back to the USO, there was a sense there that Andy had to fight the doubts to get the win, but now he looks free of all that. I really do feel that experience, that ability to give himself a talking to when he needed it at the USO will help him again. For the first time ever Andy will step out to play a major final as a major winner tomorrow. I'm convinced that the knowledge that he has done it before will make a difference.

I read somewhere that if Andy wins the AO he will be less than 900 points away from overtaking Smugfed in the rankings. That is one of a number of incentives I would have thought. I've got everything crossed for him.
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #311 on: January 26, 2013, 11:16 PM »

If Murray wins tomorrow I can only feel he will dominate this year.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #312 on: January 26, 2013, 11:18 PM »

If Murray wins tomorrow I can only feel he will dominate this year.

He could win 3 slams this year if he wins tomorrow. It seems possible. It also seems possible that he could win in straights tomorrow. Laundry has predicted it. I can see where he's coming from. Murray seems a different animal this year.
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #313 on: January 26, 2013, 11:19 PM »

He could win 3 slams this year if he wins tomorrow. It seems possible. It also seems possible that he could win in straights tomorrow. Laundry has predicted it. I can see where he's coming from. Murray seems a different animal this year.

Indeed. He has added smoke to his roaring flame of last year I feel.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #314 on: January 26, 2013, 11:24 PM »

For Facebookers: see how the number of likes goes up by hundreds every second:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151244201606966&set=a.231935561965.134843.16814976965&type=1&theater
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 143 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »