Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions please
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Djokovic in 3
Djokovic in 4
Djokovic in 5

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 ... 143 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1]

(Read 23566 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #1950 on: January 27, 2013, 03:18 PM »

Hi All,

I've not had time to read the whole thread, but from what I have read it's nice to see some perspective after a loss for Andy.

I have to give respect to Djokovic for the win. I don't like it, but there is no doubt he lifted his game when he needed to, although I can't be on my own in thinking that it took him to be sure Andy was well and truly down before he did it. I did feel that Djokovic was playing possum a bit early on too, but there we are. He's always done it to a point, it's just that he doesn't do it anywhere near as much now.

I was surprised at how relatively calm Djokovic's celebrations were. Sure, he was delighted to win, and I have no problem at all with that, but I am pleased there was no shirt ripping stuff. I think Djokovic and Andy have a genuine respect for each other, which is good for the game as a whole.

Andy did so well in his speech during the presentation ceremony. I thought they both did. Andy only seemed to get a tiny bit choked when he spoke about the team. It's understandable. I just hope he doesn't feel he has let anyone down, because he hasn't at all.

As for the match, I must admit, after the first, and in to the second set, I thought Andy had really got the bit between his teeth. He looked really up for it. Then there was the thing with the feather - the double fault felt inevitable to me - and slowly things began to change. I didn't think the blister, although it looked awful, hampered Andy half as much as the hamstring injury. After that Andy didn't seem to be moving quite as well, which is understandable. I also think it was distracting him a bit. The thing is, Djokovic then lifted his game to ridiculous levels and that was that.

I was quite glad Andy had a go at the umpire. I was having a yell myself! How you can allow a crowd to call out between serves during one service game, but then call the crowd on it during the opponents service game, is beyond me. I'm in no way suggesting the umpire was biased, but I do think he acted at the wrong time and in the wrong way. All that 'please' nonsense was maddening. Sometimes I wish umpires would just tell crowds to shut the bloody hell up between first and second serve etc, but of course they won't.

I'm sure Andy will be disappointed he lost today, but I hope he won't get downhearted about it. It seems quite clear now that there has been a changing of the guard at the top of the game, and Djokovic and Andy are now in the top two positions. We know it, now people within the game know it too. It's just a matter of time now before Andy overhauls Federer in the rankings, and what a glorious moment that will be. Then he can focus on how you solve a problem like Novak. I know Andy has his work cut out whilst Novak is playing like that, but nothing is insurmountable. Djokovic can't play like that forever, he just can't.

It's important now how Andy moves forward. If he gets down on himself now it will be bad. He needs to focus on what he did right during the tournament and in the final. I still believe beating Federer like that was huge for Andy in the semi's. It was a huge step. I'm sure both Andy and Lendl will think about the final, what could have been done differently, what Andy did well and where they go from here. It seems clear to me that Andy is on the up, with Djokovic, but it's a marathon, not a sprint, to get the edge on him.

I thought Andy had confirmed Delray Beach? Then Andy can focus on Indian Wells. I have a feeling Andy is going to go well there. I hope so.

I think the clay season could be interesting this year. If Nadal was around and fit it would be tough to see beyond him, but I wonder if Andy could get a clay title. I don't mean the French. Without Nadal I think Djokovic will start there as favourite, but maybe Rome, where he seems to have done quite well, or Monte Carlo. One would be nice. However, when it comes to the grass I think Andy will be in his element. I still fancy him for Wimbledon, because I believe his game, let alone his movement, is better than Djokovic's on the grass.

IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #1951 on: January 27, 2013, 03:20 PM »

Teejay, excellent post, and some wise words!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #1952 on: January 27, 2013, 03:22 PM »

^^ Hey there TJ, no time to read your post properly now but would definitely give a proper read when I have some more time Smile
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #1953 on: January 27, 2013, 03:23 PM »

Well i have just cheered myself up by booking flights to london in november for WTF Smile  anyone know when the tickets go on sale?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #1954 on: January 27, 2013, 03:24 PM »

Ugh,some idiots on twitter making jokes about Kim Sears being Kim tears.So mean,and so unnecessary.

Oh well, there will always be morons who have a go at things they have no concept of, like watching someone you love fighting whilst injured to beat an opponent who refuses to be beaten just now.

They are the same morons who will dismiss Andy as 'pathetic' and 'a one slam wonder' and suggest that Andy 'only won the US Open because it was windy'.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #1955 on: January 27, 2013, 03:30 PM »

I wonder if Mats Wilander is w**king at the prospect of Djokovic winning. If so I want to kick his wrinkly face in.

I think someone needs to take his Ritalin. Do you even listen to Willander, or are you still bitter over his article from last week? Funny thing is Willander was bigging up Andy a lot vs fed, and seems to change his opinions on players more than Federer changes his racket during a match.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #1956 on: January 27, 2013, 03:32 PM »

I still feel that Nole and Andy will share most of the spoils this year.  This was almost the opposite of the US as Nole was injured in the last set.

Djokovic wasn't injured in the last set of the USO. His legs were cramping. Cramp and injury is two different things. It isn't that long ago that cramp like that wouldn't have been allowed to be treated by the trainer.

Djokovic appeared to be having trouble with his legs early on today, although I felt he was playing possum a wee bit. He seemed to stop doing it when Andy was playing at his very best.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #1957 on: January 27, 2013, 03:34 PM »

^^ Hey there TJ, no time to read your post properly now but would definitely give a proper read when I have some more time Smile

Thanks lol. I went on a bit, always a danger when you are one of the last to comment and everyone else has made a lot of good points you want to mention lol.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

The great British player will be back!

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #1958 on: January 27, 2013, 03:37 PM »

I think someone needs to take his Ritalin. Do you even listen to Willander, or are you still bitter over his article from last week? Funny thing is Willander was bigging up Andy a lot vs fed, and seems to change his opinions on players more than Federer changes his racket during a match.

In Game Set and Mats he was slagging Murray off after the Chardy win.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #1959 on: January 27, 2013, 03:44 PM »

In Game Set and Mats he was slagging Murray off after the Chardy win.

Like I said, the guy changes his opinion every 5 minutes.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #1960 on: January 27, 2013, 03:45 PM »

Like I said, the guy changes his opinion every 5 minutes.

Born bandwagoners these Swedes lol
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #1961 on: January 27, 2013, 03:47 PM »

Djokovic wasn't injured in the last set of the USO. His legs were cramping. Cramp and injury is two different things. It isn't that long ago that cramp like that wouldn't have been allowed to be treated by the trainer.
I thought you still weren't allowed to be treated for cramp, and Djokovic was officially being treated for a "groin strain" at USO.  Whistle
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #1962 on: January 27, 2013, 03:58 PM »

Just to notify you all. I will have the SF and F up on my YouTube channel here, http://www.youtube.com/user/ConnorTennisTV?feature=mhee, sometime in the upcoming week.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #1963 on: January 27, 2013, 03:59 PM »

I thought you still weren't allowed to be treated for cramp, and Djokovic was officially being treated for a "groin strain" at USO.  Whistle

I think you can now, but I know a lot of the pundits don't agree with it, although to be fair, in a match like that it is to be expected at some point.

There was something said about a groin strain, but judging by which bits of Djokovic the trainer was rubbing, if Djokovic had a groin strain his groin is in a very weird place. It looked like cramp to me.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #1964 on: January 27, 2013, 04:00 PM »

Am watching the red button replay just now (though my heart's not really in it). Only saw most of the first set before I had to go out this morning and watched the very end on I-Player. Good to see a relatively upbeat Andy in the presentation.

Looking forward to the rest of the season. It doesn't matter what the commentators say or if people speculate he'll be a one slam wonder (it's far far too soon to say such things anyway). What matters is Andy continuing to play his best and believe he can win the big matches and where possible as Lendl would say, win the last point!

As a side note agree with the posters who prefer watching the other rivalries. The constant long rallies get disheartening after a while!

Replay at 6-5 in second set by the way if anyone else was thinking of tuning in .
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 ... 143 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »