Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions please
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Djokovic in 3
Djokovic in 4
Djokovic in 5

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1]

(Read 20618 times)
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2070 on: January 28, 2013, 04:08 PM »

Nice article Apollo, Andy has nothing to reproach himself for , bring on the rest of the season.
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2071 on: January 28, 2013, 04:22 PM »

Ivan Lendl: Three missed break points at start of second set cost Murray victory over Djokovic
28 Jan 2013 00:01
MURRAY'S coach said the Scots game is still on an upward graph and he will have plenty more opportunities if he keeps putting himself in the position.

Ivan Lendl  
Jason O'Brien/Action Images
IVAN LENDL claimed failing to convert three break points at the start of the second set cost Andy Murray the Australian Open title.

The Scot won the first set tiebreak and then led 0-40 in the second game of the second set – his first
break points on the Novak Djokovic serve.

But the world No.1 held serve – and was not broken in 21 service games.

Lendl said: “If Andy had broken for 2-0 in the second set who knows what might have happened. He could have run away with it.

“When you have opportunities against top players it’s advisable to take advantage because they’re not going to give you more over and over.

“That’s why they’re so great. If you play someone who is a little weaker in the rankings, you may get another opportunity.

“With the top players, you very rarely do. That’s why they’re better than the other guys, not only the strokes but they don’t give you that many opportunities.

“Novak won 13 points more than Andy – 13 points is nothing. While 6-3 6-2 looks comfortable it was only 13 points in the match.”

Murray has now lost five of his six Grand Slam finals – just like Lendl. The Czech went on to win eight.

Murray contemplates what could have been just minutes after losing the final to Djokovic  
Reuters/Daniel Munoz

Lendl said: “Other than when Andy lost to Novak here in 2011 he has always played the No.1 player in the world in the finals, those are difficult to win.

“Andre Agassi beat Rainer Schuettler (world No.36), I beat Miloslva Mecir. I’m not saying they were bad players.

“However, they were not No.1 at the time they were in the finals.

“In this era, the top four are clearly better than everyone else. You don’t get No.7 in the finals.

“I just hope Andy will keep putting himself in position and something will come his way again. His game is still on an upward graph – and it will be until the end of Andy’s career.”

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2072 on: January 28, 2013, 04:36 PM »

Nice piece in the record here on unlucky white feather!  http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/unlucky-white-feather-causes-andy-1559788
I particularly liked the quote from Kevin Spacey - worth every mile from London to go and watch Andy.  I may have said this already but I think we should be making him our hon president as he must be one of Andy's biggest fans. To fly all that way just to watch him shows real commitment [even if he can afford 1st class  Whistle ]
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2073 on: January 28, 2013, 04:37 PM »

Apparently Andy phoned Ross after the match and told him that he was sorry, that he had wanted to win it for him. Frown

I hope Ross and his team made it clear to Andy he has nothing to be sorry about!I'm sure Ross,like all of us,was disappointed for his friend-but still very proud of him for what he accomplished!
[ Last edit by xxdanixx January 28, 2013, 04:43 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2074 on: January 28, 2013, 04:42 PM »

Ah that is typical Andy isn't it.  I saw Ross being interviewed on BBCNews24 while I was having my lunch but the sound was turned down so couldn't hear what he said.  He was clearly talking about Andy as there were some shots of Andy and Ivan. 
Apparently Andy is going to be spending some time with Ross this coming week before going over to Miami
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2075 on: January 28, 2013, 04:43 PM »

Because this has to do with this match I'm posting this here, but if there is another thread that is just for articles not written by MW members, please advise me and I will place them there from now on.
*********************************************************************************************************************

Andy Murray's coach Ivan Lendl convinced they make a formidable teamTwelve months after taking over as Murray's right-hand man, Lendl says the pair's understanding has definitely developedShare Tweet this

Kevin Mitchell at Melbourne Park The Observer, Saturday 26 January 2013 18.00 EST  

Andy Murray listens to his coach Ivan Lendl during a training session at the Australian Open. Photograph: Dita Alangkara/AP
Ivan Lendl remains as cool as ever ahead of Andy Murray's appearance in the final of the Australian Open against Novak Djokovic on Sunday. The coach, who has been with him since they hooked up here a year ago, was not carried away with statistics or history, especially the curiosity of Murray trying to become the first player in the Open era to follow his first slam title with another one straight away. When reminded that, as a player, he had to wait a good deal longer for his second major, Lendl, who won eight of them, was not impressed.

"I've never thought about it but I told Andy before the tournament: 'Apparently no player has won three Australian Opens in a row in the Open era and no player in the Open era has won his first major and then won his second win in the very next major. So that means Roger has to win here!' That's not going to happen now, so one of those theories goes out of the window. Once again it's a lovely story for you guys, but I pay no attention to that."

He reckoned it would play no part in Murray's performance. But did he not think that, in his own case, he was still developing as a player in the slams immediately after he had won his first title? "Well [John] McEnroe was still ranked No1, and Mats Wilander was still at least the same as me, if not better, on clay at that time."

He accepted his tennis might have still been evolving, like Murray's. "Possibly. I hate to compare like that, but I see what you're trying to say. Possibly."

How has the experience of working with Murray in Melbourne this time compared with last year? "It was less hectic this year because last year was a novelty and everybody wanted to talk. This year you guys have left me alone a lot more and it's a lot easier for me."

With a year's experience together, are they a better team? "No doubt about it. We have learned about each other and understand each other better. I think that would [be the case] in any team, in any relationship, that you would do better after a year."

Is it more enjoyable for that reason? "Yeah, that's one of the reasons. I've got my golf game set up very well too, so that was very enjoyable."

Murray talks of the importance of peaking at right time – how did they go about achieving that as a team? "Well unfortunately you're not in control of your schedule. You're not in full control of when you play. You're not in full control of how long the matches are. So that affects things. And every player is different. Some players need a tough match early, some need a tough match before the final, some don't need a tough match. So you don't go about it, you just have to deal with the cards you have."

Lendl said Djokovic's extra day of rest before the final would not have any effect – "Not at the age both guys are and the fitness they have" – and he has been impressed with Murray's energy levels throughout the tournament, especially in the semi-final against Roger Federer.

"It was great that he didn't dawdle around in the matches when he was in control and finished them, and most likely it can only help. I felt Andy was a little bit ahead in the [semi-final] the entire time. I don't know what the exact number of breaks against Andy and breaks against Roger were, but it would be big in Andy's favour, probably 6-2. [Murray converted six of 16, Federer two of six] And I remember playing a match like that myself.

"It's somewhat frustrating as you haven't been broken. I played the semi-final of Wimbledon against Slobodan Zivojinovic one year, I think it was '86 [it was], it was, like, 6-1, 6-7, 6-2, 6-7, 6-4 [actually 6-2, 6-7, 6-3, 6-7, 6-4]. It's very frustrating, because the guy isn't making any inroads on your serve but you find yourself two sets all and you know you have been the better player. The good point there was that Andy's fitness came through. I think it was apparent that he was fitter in the fifth set than Roger and that's why that set was relatively – using that word loosely – relatively easy."

Lendl, though, was most impressed with the way Murray handled the frustration of blowing the fourth set, when he was serving for the match at 6-5, and distracted by an exchange of words and looks with Federer.

"Yes I'm very proud of him, how he dealt with it. It has to do with preparation, though. If you feel you're strong and you don't feel like you are going to run out of gas, it's a lot easier to deal with that than if you feel I've only got four more games in me or something. If you feel, OK, I can play three more sets I'm fine, it's a lot easier to swallow the bitter pill of losing the fourth set in a tie-breaker."
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2076 on: January 28, 2013, 04:45 PM »

Yes Andy would be good to have as a friend he is a very caring person and it is good that he is keeping in touch with Ross. Real friendship is a great thing I do not have many friends but the ones I have go back to when I was a nurse in training.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2077 on: January 28, 2013, 05:43 PM »

Apparently Andy phoned Ross after the match and told him that he was sorry, that he had wanted to win it for him. Frown

I hope Ross and his team made it clear to Andy he has nothing to be sorry about!I'm sure Ross,like all of us,was disappointed for his friend-but still very proud of him for what he accomplished!

I'm sure Ross would be the first to say that Andy had nothing to be sorry for.

It's fantastic to think that even through the AO Andy kept in touch with Ross. I'm sure that was good for both of them, to talk about the tournament, what is going on with Ross, and about other stuff too.

It's a real credit to Andy that he did so well while Ross must surely be on his mind. He's a true pro.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2078 on: January 28, 2013, 06:24 PM »

Andy making an appearance at the AO staff party.Apparently (according to an Australian journalist anyway) he's the only runner-up they can remember showing up to thank them for their hard work and stuff.Sweet thing for Andy to do,especially as he probably was NOT feeling like attending any parties!

IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2079 on: January 28, 2013, 06:39 PM »

Oh that's great. Hopefully the show of support there will have given him a bit of a boost! Thanks for posting Dani.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2080 on: January 28, 2013, 06:52 PM »

No problem Scotjules Smile I thought the same thing when I saw it!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2081 on: January 28, 2013, 06:52 PM »

Andy making an appearance at the AO staff party.Apparently (according to an Australian journalist anyway) he's the only runner-up they can remember showing up to thank them for their hard work and stuff.Sweet thing for Andy to do,especially as he probably was NOT feeling like attending any parties!

Wow, someone is going to be popular with the staff at the AO next year!

I thought he spoke well of the AO in his speech yesterday too.

Lovely stuff, thanks Dani.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2082 on: January 28, 2013, 06:53 PM »

Andy is just such a fab guy! How anyone can not like him is truly beyond me!
Thanks for posting all the articles and stuff guys.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2083 on: January 28, 2013, 07:02 PM »

Wow, someone is going to be popular with the staff at the AO next year!
Lovely stuff, thanks Dani.

And deservedly so,too!No problem Teejay Smile

The ironic thing is when I told my sister he had lost,she said something like "Oh.That's a shame.Still,it's nighttime there,right?I'm sure there's a party or two he could go to and cheer himself up a bit!"(She's NOT a tennis follower,if you couldn't tell!) And I said that even if he didn't have press stuff to do,I was pretty sure the last thing he'd feel like doing was going to a party!

I had to laugh when I saw that I'd been wrong,and she,who knows next to nothing about Andy,was right-even if it was only for a short time,he had indeed gone to a party!And I hope it did cheer him up a bit too Very Happy
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2084 on: January 28, 2013, 07:05 PM »

actually so great that Andy did all these things.    Such an inspirational guy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »