Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions please
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Djokovic in 3
Djokovic in 4
Djokovic in 5

Pages: 1 ... 137 138 139 [140] 141 142 143 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1]

(Read 20663 times)
Simone

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2085 on: January 28, 2013, 09:07 PM »

Totally disagree with this. I thought Andy was the better player in the first two sets overall. There didn;t seem to be anything wrong with his retrieval skills. If you look at the rallys Andy won nearly all of them that went past half a dozen shots. I would say his service wasn't nearly as effective though. The stats showed he hit far less aces than against Fed and he had 5 doulbe faults whereas he only had 2 in the entire tournament beforehand.  Also Joker himself said he served the best he's done in ages against Andy. That was probably key. Joker serving better than ever and Andy serving the worst he's done all tournament. Swap these around and Andy probably wins.

See I disagree with this. I feel he barely hung in there in the first set especially and that it was mainly due to the Joker's UFE's that he stayed in it and was in with a chance in the TB (which was played awfully by the Joker). He was basically under pressure on his serve right from the beginning and for mine the intensity in his person especially wasn't there. Pretty much as soon as the match started I had a very strong feeling of "something isn't right here, he seems compromised".
It probably seems like I am making excuses and I am usually the last one to do so but that is just how I saw it.
An article posted later in the thread mentioned that he had tweaked his hamstring in the Federer match and that is makes complete sense to me - (I thought it was his back) from what I saw
Anyway that's how I saw it but thanks for your perspective too.
Thank you very much for the welcome Ruthie Smile
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2086 on: January 28, 2013, 09:15 PM »

Hi Simone -welcome,    welcome (from another newbie )great report from courtside, you get a very different perspective on speed and movement watching courtside to on tv so it was really interesting to hear your thoughts. At first I thought it was Djokovic's retrieving making Andy look a bit slower but the arrival of the trainer didn't surprise me because he had seemed a little off his usual speedy pace. However, onwards and upwards, am sure he'll be back even more determined than ever!
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2087 on: January 28, 2013, 10:09 PM »

@Simone - welcome to MW and thanks for bringing a court-side perspective.  It was very good to read that.  I really do think it's to Andy's credit that he's refusing to suggest that injuries had anything to do with it and instead that it was about him not taking his chances.  It suggests too that he and Ivan will see it as a learning experience ie how will they make sure that next time he does take those chances.  As a next time there is bound to be.

Im sure that deflecting from the injuries is due in part to his team being very wary of what the journos will turn his quotes into...after various previous incidents.

Injuries play a large part in performance levels....i have friends who are semi professional athletes ...and they say hamstring tweaks and blisters can cause them to stop training or competing. So to say it had no impact on Andy's performance to me is just good PR...coz its not true.
[ Last edit by ABF January 28, 2013, 10:14 PM ] IP Logged
Simone

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2088 on: January 28, 2013, 10:59 PM »

Hi Simone -welcome,    welcome (from another newbie )great report from courtside, you get a very different perspective on speed and movement watching courtside to on tv so it was really interesting to hear your thoughts. At first I thought it was Djokovic's retrieving making Andy look a bit slower but the arrival of the trainer didn't surprise me because he had seemed a little off his usual speedy pace. However, onwards and upwards, am sure he'll be back even more determined than ever!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I really feel lucky to have been there and seen him live, he looked and played like such a beast! I was so proud to be a Murray supporter Smile
I especially enjoyed the massively dirty looks I got from the Fed fans in his QF with Tsonga. I really like Tsonga (and it didn't hurt he was playing Fed either!) and every time I cheered for him I got death stares from many people around me! I am looking forward to next year already!

ABF I totally agree with you Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2089 on: January 29, 2013, 12:51 PM »

oh Simone I know what it's like to be surrounded by the red rash of smugfed fans while cheering his opponent  w00t

and lovely to see Andy getting so much support from the staff when he attended their party.
btw abf I know it's not true his injuries had no impact on his performance and perhaps it was just PR but still think it's good that Andy didn't try and hide behind the injuries.  Certainly one in the eye for those who call him a whinger.
[ Last edit by Ruthie January 29, 2013, 12:55 PM ] IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2090 on: January 29, 2013, 01:18 PM »

Absolutely Ruthie......Unlike some we know ["I was tired!"],  Whistle  Andy 'never' makes excuses for his losses and 'always' gives full credit to his opponents...... like the true gent he is! 
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2091 on: January 29, 2013, 01:58 PM »

Absolutely Ruthie......Unlike some we know ["I was tired!"],  Whistle  Andy 'never' makes excuses for his losses and 'always' gives full credit to his opponents...... like the true gent he is! 

I just love that quality in Andy wub , which some people lack Wink
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2092 on: January 29, 2013, 02:14 PM »

Andy making an appearance at the AO staff party.Apparently (according to an Australian journalist anyway) he's the only runner-up they can remember showing up to thank them for their hard work and stuff.Sweet thing for Andy to do,especially as he probably was NOT feeling like attending any parties!

Thats just lovely Danni, Andy is such a lovely guy. So nice to come on MW and hear all the bits of information I would miss other wise , thanks everyone .  welcome Simone.
[ Last edit by deb January 29, 2013, 06:00 PM ] IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2093 on: January 29, 2013, 05:23 PM »

Andy making an appearance at the AO staff party.Apparently (according to an Australian journalist anyway) he's the only runner-up they can remember showing up to thank them for their hard work and stuff.Sweet thing for Andy to do,especially as he probably was NOT feeling like attending any parties!

Oh good for him, love the little smile on his face when people were yelling for him.
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2094 on: January 29, 2013, 05:33 PM »

Welcome to Simone, this is a great place to root for Andy!!
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2095 on: January 29, 2013, 06:01 PM »

Hi Apollo, coming out to America at the weekend, we booked what I was talking to you about in the summer, can't wait.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2096 on: January 29, 2013, 06:47 PM »

Does anyone know who else went to the party?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2097 on: January 29, 2013, 07:42 PM »

Apparently a hamstring was giving him problems as well. Explains inability to push down on some shots, movement and serve.
Andy said he picked this injury up during the Fed match.  Nothing too serious but it made his leg feel 'tight'.  Actually between this and the blisters it was truly amazing that Andy was able to move around the court and even serve as well as he did.

As for the feather - I don't think Andy removing it was the problem but the fact that, as he said later, he thought about whether he should do so or not, so it seems to me that it was the thinking rather than taking spontaneous action which did the damage.  Oddly enough it was a white feather, considered by many to be a sign of cowardice, but there was nothing in the least cowardly about Andy's performance.

As for the heckler - I'm not sure what powers umpires have in these situations.  Can they order a spectator to be removed by security guards even if it means holding up play for a few minutes?  If they can then this one was pretty negligent.  If they can't then surely the security people themselves should have taken the law into their own hands and ejected him from the arena?  From what I saw there seemed to be plenty of them around and so it should have been easy to identify the culprit.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2098 on: January 29, 2013, 07:54 PM »

OMG what a rammy! Very Happy  Still it was nice to see Andy being greeted so warmly and I'm sure the staff greatly appreciated him coming to thank them personally.  It also says a lot for his much more resilient attitude that he was actually able to face doing this now - something he would have been incapable of in 2010/11.
IP Logged
Simone

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2099 on: January 29, 2013, 10:36 PM »

Hello to Apollo and deb!!

I must also apologise for my rudeness - hello to everyone else!!

I came on here in an emotional state the day after the AO final and really didn't use my manners to say hi to everyone. I love this site and have been reading it for a long time Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 139 [140] 141 142 143 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »