Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions please
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Djokovic in 3
Djokovic in 4
Djokovic in 5

Pages: 1 ... 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1]

(Read 21970 times)
caroline
ATP Level

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2100 on: January 29, 2013, 10:39 PM »

Hi Simone welcome to MW. wave wave
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2101 on: January 29, 2013, 11:04 PM »

Hi Apollo, coming out to America at the weekend, we booked what I was talking to you about in the summer, can't wait.
Wow, have a safe and fun trip!!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2102 on: January 30, 2013, 12:01 AM »

Hello to Apollo and deb!!

I must also apologise for my rudeness - hello to everyone else!!

I came on here in an emotional state the day after the AO final and really didn't use my manners to say hi to everyone. I love this site and have been reading it for a long time Smile
Hey Simone.. Welcome to MW. It's hard to keep track of everyone, there are so many of us. You certainly weren't rude, and we all get emotional here so you are just like all the rest of us. Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2103 on: January 30, 2013, 12:02 AM »

Hello to Apollo and deb!!

I must also apologise for my rudeness - hello to everyone else!!

I came on here in an emotional state the day after the AO final and really didn't use my manners to say hi to everyone. I love this site and have been reading it for a long time Smile
Hi Simone!  wave  Welcome from me too.  I'm glad you finally decided to join the forum. Smile

[ Last edit by Aileen January 30, 2013, 12:10 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2104 on: January 30, 2013, 12:15 AM »

Because this has to do with this match I'm posting this here, but if there is another thread that is just for articles not written by MW members, please advise me and I will place them there from now on.
*********************************************************************************************************************

Andy Murray's coach Ivan Lendl convinced they make a formidable teamTwelve months after taking over as Murray's right-hand man, Lendl says the pair's understanding has definitely developed
This is the thread you want, Apollo  - http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/andy-murray/news-articles/4965/

Btw, it's a very interesting article.  Long may their relationship prosper.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2105 on: January 30, 2013, 02:27 AM »

I've already posted this in the articles thread,but it's so lovely to see so much of what we've been saying echoed in here that I think it deserves to be posted in here too Smile

Bottle job: Why Australian Open proved Andy Murray is tough enough to become best in the world

Oliver Holt says the Murray haters couldn't be more wrong if they tried

Six months ago, the Andy Murray haters were still in Phase One jubilation.

He’d never win a bean, they said, absolutely no chance.

He’d never get close to winning a Grand Slam. Didn’t have the bottle for it.

Didn’t have the talent, either, come to think of it.

And certainly didn’t have the ability to beat Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic or Rafael Nadal.

In the Olympics perhaps. But not when it really, really mattered.

So Flushing Meadows last year came as a bit of a rude shock.

Murray didn’t just beat Djokovic in the US Open final. Physically and mentally, he destroyed him.

Then there was what he did to Federer in Melbourne last week.

Yes, the match went to five sets but Murray outplayed Federer almost from first to last.

It was the first time Murray had beaten Federer in a Grand Slam but it won’t be the last.

Because he beat him in a way that suggested that from now on Murray will always have the upper hand in that rivalry.

Phase Two jubilation for Murray’s detractors came when Djokovic beat him in four sets in Sunday’s Australian Open final.

Progress stalled, Nadal back soon, Djokovic untouchable, French Open next, no good on clay. Et cetera. Et cetera.

Well, I’m sorry but the Murray-sceptics are in for another shock.

First of all, losing to Djokovic in Melbourne was hardly a disgrace. The world number one was playing brilliant tennis. He deserved to win.

But there are a couple of things worth noting. Murray had chances. He won the first set and he was 40-0 up on Djokovic’s serve in the second game of the second.

There is no point dwelling on ‘ifs’ for too long but if he had won that game, Djokovic would have found it hard to come back.

Then there’s the very basic reminder that Britain now has a tennis player who has contested the final of the last three Grand Slams.

Remember the days when we got excited because Buster Mottram had made the fourth round at Wimbledon? I do. It only happened once.

Now we can boast one of the top players in the world, a man who has worked himself into a position where we expect him to reach Grand Slam finals.

In the post-London Olympics era, Murray’s assault on a clutch of some of the greatest tennis players the world has ever seen has become the most compelling story in British sport.

Some time ago, his pursuit seemed noble but forlorn, as though Djokovic, Federer and Nadal were out of reach.

That is not the case any more. The rankings say Federer is number two but form says Djokovic and Murray are at the top of the pile.

It is hard to predict what impact Nadal will make on his return in the next few weeks after his long absence with knee problems.

If he comes back as powerful and as athletic and as irresistible as ever, he will be another formidable obstacle to Murray’s recent progress.

But after the advances Murray has made, there is no reason to think that the Spaniard would be a threat to him on the hard courts of America and Australia.

He would be hard to beat on the clay at Roland Garros where, when fit, he reigns supreme.

But however Nadal returns, he will find in Murray an opponent who has improved dramatically while he has been away.

He will find a man who worked relentlessly hard to close the gap between himself and the top three and who has succeeded.

He will find a player who achieved a huge psychological breakthrough when he won at Flushing Meadows.

He will find a player who is part of the gang on merit now, a guy who has turned the summit of the men’s game into a top four, not a top three.

Draw whatever conclusions you want from Australia but you can’t escape the fact that Murray’s in the mix now.

He is strong and getting stronger. And if you think, after all the advances Murray has made, that becoming the best player in the world is beyond him, you are deluding yourself.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tennis/why-australian-open-proved-andy-murray-1562279
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2106 on: January 30, 2013, 03:21 AM »

^ Magnificent article! yay   I think it's only a matter of time before Andy beats Nadal, even if he is fully fit, although perhaps not on clay - but you never know ...
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2107 on: January 30, 2013, 08:35 AM »

Wow, have a safe and fun trip!!
Thanks Apollo.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2108 on: January 30, 2013, 08:56 AM »

Andy said he picked this injury up during the Fed match.  Nothing too serious but it made his leg feel 'tight'.  Actually between this and the blisters it was truly amazing that Andy was able to move around the court and even serve as well as he did.
Andy said he doesn't normally get blisters, so you have to wonder what caused them this time.  I'm thinking that if one of his legs was feeling tight, he would move slightly differently and put pressure on his feet in a slightly different way.  The blisters were a problem in their own right, but I'm sure they must be a symptom of something else too.

I agree about the feather too.  During the women's final, Azarenka challenged the call on her first serve and the commentators were talking of how dangerous that is unless you are sure you are right, because it's better to crack on with a second serve as soon as possible after the first.  Her challenge wasn't successful, and then she double-faulted, and it was blamed entirely on the break in concentration between the two serves.   I see Andy's break between serves as similar, albeit more unusual, and in a tie-break, so much more significant.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2109 on: January 30, 2013, 09:14 AM »

Thanks Danni , brilliant article, we have much to be proud of in our Andy.  yay
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2110 on: January 30, 2013, 11:50 AM »

what a great article dani - thanks for posting.  Gave me a boost
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2111 on: January 30, 2013, 12:07 PM »

Welcome Simone to MW we are getting a lot of new members which is nice I am sure you will soon get used to all of us.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2112 on: January 30, 2013, 02:13 PM »

Andy said he doesn't normally get blisters, so you have to wonder what caused them this time.  I'm thinking that if one of his legs was feeling tight, he would move slightly differently and put pressure on his feet in a slightly different way.  The blisters were a problem in their own right, but I'm sure they must be a symptom of something else too.

I agree about the feather too.  During the women's final, Azarenka challenged the call on her first serve and the commentators were talking of how dangerous that is unless you are sure you are right, because it's better to crack on with a second serve as soon as possible after the first.  Her challenge wasn't successful, and then she double-faulted, and it was blamed entirely on the break in concentration between the two serves.   I see Andy's break between serves as similar, albeit more unusual, and in a tie-break, so much more significant.
What you say about the blisters makes sense because they did look quite bad and only seemed to affect one foot.  As I recalll, Andy fell during the Federer match.  He winced but got up quite quickly, but maybe that's what caused the hamstring problem.  Difficult to know though because they do so much running and stretching.

I must admit my heart sank when I saw him faffing about with that feather because I could see what was probably going to happen next, and the BBC comms weren't too happy either.  It's easy for us to say, but he should really have ignored it and just got on with serving - although some players can get quite twitchy about anything no matter how trivial that lands on the court.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2113 on: January 30, 2013, 02:26 PM »

What you say about the blisters makes sense because they did look quite bad and only seemed to affect one foot.  As I recalll, Andy fell during the Federer match.  He winced but got up quite quickly, but maybe that's what caused the hamstring problem.  Difficult to know though because they do so much running and stretching.

Yeah, I missed the fall when I watched the match live but noticed it when I watched the highlights. He shrugged it off but you could see it hurt more than he showed it.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2114 on: January 30, 2013, 02:45 PM »

Yeah, I missed the fall when I watched the match live but noticed it when I watched the highlights. He shrugged it off but you could see it hurt more than he showed it.
Since posting that I've read an article about the unusual number of players who suffered leg injuries during the AO, which has led to suspicions that the courts might not have been in the best condition (strenuously denied by the organisers), and Andy is quoted as saying that a "misstep" returning a Federer serve caused him to fall and pull the hamstring.  It obviously wasn't too serious otherwise his movement would have been badly impeded at the time, but, as I'm sure you know, even slightly strained muscles can stiffen up considerably overnight, and physio can only do so much.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »