Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions please
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Djokovic in 3
Djokovic in 4
Djokovic in 5

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 141 [142] 143 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1]

(Read 23096 times)
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2115 on: January 30, 2013, 02:46 PM »

Ail, the next time you edit your post, I'll lodge a complaint to Mark lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2116 on: January 30, 2013, 02:51 PM »

Ail, the next time you edit your post, I'll lodge a complaint to Mark lol
Embarassed  I'm a perfectionist when it comes to these things, that's my problem!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2117 on: January 30, 2013, 02:52 PM »

Embarassed  I'm a perfectionist when it comes to these things, that's my problem!

Ok, one last chance lol
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2118 on: January 30, 2013, 02:58 PM »

Andy said he picked this injury up during the Fed match.  Nothing too serious but it made his leg feel 'tight'.  Actually between this and the blisters it was truly amazing that Andy was able to move around the court and even serve as well as he did.

As for the feather - I don't think Andy removing it was the problem but the fact that, as he said later, he thought about whether he should do so or not, so it seems to me that it was the thinking rather than taking spontaneous action which did the damage.  Oddly enough it was a white feather, considered by many to be a sign of cowardice, but there was nothing in the least cowardly about Andy's performance.

As for the heckler - I'm not sure what powers umpires have in these situations.  Can they order a spectator to be removed by security guards even if it means holding up play for a few minutes?  If they can then this one was pretty negligent.  If they can't then surely the security people themselves should have taken the law into their own hands and ejected him from the arena?  From what I saw there seemed to be plenty of them around and so it should have been easy to identify the culprit.

I didn't hear Andy say he'd picked up the hamstring injury during the Fed match, but I'm not surprised. I was anxious for him (I really must stop this urge to mother the man lol) when he took that fall during that one. He went down with quite a bang. It looked like he landed on his hip, so I was relieved when he got up, played well again and won anyway.

I just thought the feather was a distraction more than anything. I still wonder if Andy thought Djokovic might suggest it had distracted him when Andy served, so he moved it just in case.

I think the umpire can have people removed, can't they? I think a player can also be penalised if it is thought their supporters hindered the other player too, not that I'm suggesting that should have happened. I actually thought the umpire was a bit useless all around to be honest, and Andy was quite restrained when he had a go at him.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2119 on: January 30, 2013, 02:59 PM »

Ok, one last chance lol
I promise to behave in future ... wink  I blame it all on the very fussy English teacher I had at school though. LOL
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2120 on: January 30, 2013, 03:02 PM »

I promise to behave in future ... wink  I blame it all on the very fussy English teacher I had at school though. LOL

I can see that Wink
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2121 on: January 30, 2013, 03:06 PM »

I've already posted this in the articles thread,but it's so lovely to see so much of what we've been saying echoed in here that I think it deserves to be posted in here too Smile

Bottle job: Why Australian Open proved Andy Murray is tough enough to become best in the world

Oliver Holt says the Murray haters couldn't be more wrong if they tried

Six months ago, the Andy Murray haters were still in Phase One jubilation.

He’d never win a bean, they said, absolutely no chance.

He’d never get close to winning a Grand Slam. Didn’t have the bottle for it.

Didn’t have the talent, either, come to think of it.

And certainly didn’t have the ability to beat Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic or Rafael Nadal.

In the Olympics perhaps. But not when it really, really mattered.

So Flushing Meadows last year came as a bit of a rude shock.

Murray didn’t just beat Djokovic in the US Open final. Physically and mentally, he destroyed him.

Then there was what he did to Federer in Melbourne last week.

Yes, the match went to five sets but Murray outplayed Federer almost from first to last.

It was the first time Murray had beaten Federer in a Grand Slam but it won’t be the last.

Because he beat him in a way that suggested that from now on Murray will always have the upper hand in that rivalry.

Phase Two jubilation for Murray’s detractors came when Djokovic beat him in four sets in Sunday’s Australian Open final.

Progress stalled, Nadal back soon, Djokovic untouchable, French Open next, no good on clay. Et cetera. Et cetera.

Well, I’m sorry but the Murray-sceptics are in for another shock.

First of all, losing to Djokovic in Melbourne was hardly a disgrace. The world number one was playing brilliant tennis. He deserved to win.

But there are a couple of things worth noting. Murray had chances. He won the first set and he was 40-0 up on Djokovic’s serve in the second game of the second.

There is no point dwelling on ‘ifs’ for too long but if he had won that game, Djokovic would have found it hard to come back.

Then there’s the very basic reminder that Britain now has a tennis player who has contested the final of the last three Grand Slams.

Remember the days when we got excited because Buster Mottram had made the fourth round at Wimbledon? I do. It only happened once.

Now we can boast one of the top players in the world, a man who has worked himself into a position where we expect him to reach Grand Slam finals.

In the post-London Olympics era, Murray’s assault on a clutch of some of the greatest tennis players the world has ever seen has become the most compelling story in British sport.

Some time ago, his pursuit seemed noble but forlorn, as though Djokovic, Federer and Nadal were out of reach.

That is not the case any more. The rankings say Federer is number two but form says Djokovic and Murray are at the top of the pile.

It is hard to predict what impact Nadal will make on his return in the next few weeks after his long absence with knee problems.

If he comes back as powerful and as athletic and as irresistible as ever, he will be another formidable obstacle to Murray’s recent progress.

But after the advances Murray has made, there is no reason to think that the Spaniard would be a threat to him on the hard courts of America and Australia.

He would be hard to beat on the clay at Roland Garros where, when fit, he reigns supreme.

But however Nadal returns, he will find in Murray an opponent who has improved dramatically while he has been away.

He will find a man who worked relentlessly hard to close the gap between himself and the top three and who has succeeded.

He will find a player who achieved a huge psychological breakthrough when he won at Flushing Meadows.

He will find a player who is part of the gang on merit now, a guy who has turned the summit of the men’s game into a top four, not a top three.

Draw whatever conclusions you want from Australia but you can’t escape the fact that Murray’s in the mix now.

He is strong and getting stronger. And if you think, after all the advances Murray has made, that becoming the best player in the world is beyond him, you are deluding yourself.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tennis/why-australian-open-proved-andy-murray-1562279

Oh I think I want to cry! What a good piece. I like it, because it isn't taking the view of Andy being a 'valiant loser', if I can phrase it like that. It gives Djokovic the respect he deserves, whilst also making it abundantly clear how things could have been different in the final, and also looking at he bigger picture of how far Andy has come over time and what could lie ahead.

It's interesting to see mention of Nadal in the piece. I have to say that when Andy and Rafa meet on the court again it could be fascinating. I think Rafa will be very surprised by the change in Andy.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2122 on: January 30, 2013, 03:09 PM »

It's interesting to see mention of Nadal in the piece. I have to say that when Andy and Rafa meet on the court again it could be fascinating. I think Rafa will be very surprised by the change in Andy.

I'm waiting for the same yay
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2123 on: January 30, 2013, 03:28 PM »

I didn't hear Andy say he'd picked up the hamstring injury during the Fed match, but I'm not surprised. I was anxious for him (I really must stop this urge to mother the man lol) when he took that fall during that one. He went down with quite a bang. It looked like he landed on his hip, so I was relieved when he got up, played well again and won anyway.
I didn't hear him say that either, but this is what was reported - "Murray said a 'misstep' returning a Federer serve in the semifinals led to a strained hamstring, though since he did not identify the incident, it's not clear if that was a stumble or just a lunge." http://espn.go.com/tennis/aus13/story/_/id/8890504   And I admit my heart skipped a beat when I saw him fall.

I just thought the feather was a distraction more than anything. I still wonder if Andy thought Djokovic might suggest it had distracted him when Andy served, so he moved it just in case.
The trouble is that Andy is too easily distracted - something he's going to need to overcome - and losing concentration in a TB is not recommended!

I think the umpire can have people removed, can't they? I think a player can also be penalised if it is thought their supporters hindered the other player too, not that I'm suggesting that should have happened. I actually thought the umpire was a bit useless all around to be honest, and Andy was quite restrained when he had a go at him.
I'm sure the umpire can, and I seem to recall at least one player's father being ejected from an arena for causing a nuisance.  You're right about the penalty too.  Djokovic's camp used to be really noisy during matches - and I remember the time Federer got so annoyed he turned to them and told them to 'shut up!' - but they've been a bit quieter of late, so maybe Djokovic had a word with them.  After all no player wants to lose valuable points thanks to their obstreperous supporters.

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2124 on: January 30, 2013, 04:50 PM »

I think the problem with Nadal has always been mostly mental. Andy has too much respect for him.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2125 on: January 30, 2013, 04:53 PM »

I think the problem with Nadal has always been mostly mental. Andy has too much respect for him.

And physically too. Andy was passive before so Rafa had that huge advantage.
IP Logged
Simone

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2126 on: January 30, 2013, 10:56 PM »

Hello caroline, scotnadian, Aileen and Littlebuddha - thank you for the welcome.

I actually made this account here a few years ago and posted a couple of times but then retreated back into my shell and just read all the comments you guys make. I thought it was high time I got involved!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2127 on: January 31, 2013, 08:52 AM »

I agree with that, although Andy playing passively, as he used to, wouldn't have helped.

I think the respect thing is similar with Djokovic to be honest. I wouldn't suggest I'd want Andy to not get on with him, but I must admit that I don't think a bit of distance between them would do any harm, especially now.

I think the difference in Andy when he plays Federer is obvious. It seems clear to me that though Andy respects what Federer has done, there doesn't appear to be much love lost between them - which in Andy's case I get completely lol. So, it means that Andy can go out, play, and win, and enjoy doing it. I think that semi at the AO was brilliant, not just because of how Andy played, but because there definitely seemed to be an atmosphere between the two of them. It made for an exciting match.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2128 on: January 31, 2013, 09:41 AM »

My feeling is that there isn't much love lost between most of the players and Federer.  I think Andy does have a frfiendship with Nole but it is banished on court.
IP Logged
CoolDude
Futures Level

us open champion 2012

Re: AO 2013 F: Andy Murray [3] vs Novak Djokovic [1] « Reply #2129 on: January 31, 2013, 08:38 PM »

remember watching the final and at the last few sets this is what I heard
BBC Commentary: of course its not affecting his movement
Murrays World people: that's relay affecting his movement

lol two completely different views Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 141 [142] 143 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »