Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2013 QF: Murray [3] v Chardy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions!
Murray in 3 - 21 (63.6%)
Murray in 4 - 10 (30.3%)
Murray in 5 - 1 (3%)
Chardy in 3 - 1 (3%)
Chardy in 4 - 0 (0%)
Chardy in 5 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 42 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2013 QF: Murray [3] v Chardy

(Read 9937 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2013 QF: Murray [3] v Chardy « Reply #105 on: January 22, 2013, 02:52 PM »

It's a shame he's so erratic. On his day he can beat anyone but that day only comes around once in a blue moon.

You mean Del Potro? Last year he was too hung up on Basel otherwise I think he had a legitimate shot in Paris. It's too bad when you have Ferrer winning a Masters and an indoor one no less and not a player like Del Potro. Berdych, Tsonga, Soderling are both great indoor players so that makes sense. Last year Paris was the worst I have ever seen in terms of top players falling out one by one within the first two days.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: AO 2013 QF: Murray [3] v Chardy « Reply #106 on: January 22, 2013, 03:00 PM »

Paris Masters is quite Notorious though given that Tsonga, Berdych, Soderling, Ferrer etc. have all won it at one point in the recent past. It’s probably the only Masters where we have different winners each year that does not involve only top players. But this also goes to show how this event is either not as important to top players given WTF right after or they are simply jaded by this time of the year, so that leaves all the others to take a shot at it. Perhaps Del Potro should make it a point that he gets it too and that will make it his first ever Masters.

It was the only Master Series wins recorded by Greg Rusedski and Tim Henman during their careers.
[ Last edit by dex January 22, 2013, 03:06 PM ] IP Logged
treggers

Re: AO 2013 QF: Murray [3] v Chardy « Reply #107 on: January 22, 2013, 03:01 PM »

I'm having a naughty afternoon off. Will try to go to bed early so I can get up and watch the match b4 work tomorrow.
I'm sitting down to watch this (have not seen it, but looks good)

Andy Murray: US Open Champion (Sky Sports Special)
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2013 QF: Murray [3] v Chardy « Reply #108 on: January 22, 2013, 03:27 PM »

Federer fans were completely bitter after Stan lost to Nole. It's not only that Stan is Federer's fellow countryman but more importantly, it would have eliminated their only other obstacle to Federer’s AO victory, as they don't believe Federer could snatch a Slam over Nole on hardcourt in a final. Right now, they are too comfortable with Slam H2H vs Andy. The only other fear they had was Raonic but once Raonic faltered quickly, they sighed a big relief. I could feel how tense they were before this match. I bet they didn’t like Nole’s match vs Berdych yesterday. Not only Nole looked relatively fresh, Ferrer had a hard time against Almagro, so I don’t think they believe Ferrer will be able to push Nole. Besides, he’s never beat Djokovic in a GS. But now the question of pushing is probably also out of the question.

Re: Federer’s schedules, this is essentially helping his fitness as he’s spending least time out in the brutal heat unlike the rest of the gang. And also, the fact that, he thrives playing at night, isn’t really leaving his opponents much of a choice to put up a decent fight.

All his night matches here at the AO have been so one sided and yet they keep putting him on the night slot even when they knew that Federer would probably prevail in straights on each occasion. Fair is fair and it’s fair that all players get equally divided schedules, but it’s more important that the organizers don’t play any kind of favouritism. This just ruins the integrity of the sport. Federer has ruined tennis on many levels and the aftermath won’t be pretty as organizers will find it hard to gather as much interest in general public going forward.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2013 QF: Murray [3] v Chardy « Reply #109 on: January 22, 2013, 03:58 PM »

It was the only Master Series wins recorded by Greg Rusedski and Tim Henman during their careers.

That makes sense, doesn't it? In fact, it was Henman's one of last wins that came in 2003 though Henman himself was a pretty good indoor player but nonetheless, it was his only Masters.  

The other point I’d like to mention is that this is probably the only Masters that is not dominated by top players in any era so far and was won by legitimate winners for the most part. . but from 1988 and beyond you will see some strange names but that’s because we are not as familiar with that time frame and its players unless you read names like Nastase or Ashe.  Well, anyway, I guess we are digressing here a bit.

I’ll be up for tonight’s match of course.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean January 22, 2013, 04:02 PM ] IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: AO 2013 QF: Murray [3] v Chardy « Reply #110 on: January 22, 2013, 04:21 PM »

It is so good that Andy has his team, led by Ivan to fight his corner on issues like scheduling etc. and to reassure him that they are doing everything possible i.e. shifting practice courts etc. to try and replicate the speed of RLA as these are things that he does not want to lose vital concentration on.

The bias scheduling is very unfair okay RF is obviously very popular but the consensus of opinion both on TV and internet forums etc. seems to be that folks would welcome a Murray v Djoko final – well they are sure doing everything they can for that not to happen !!!

Come on Andy Murray dispose of the French Pretender and then dismantle the preening, preppy college lookalike, toblerone munching, smug arrogant one!!!

Want to see the Scottish Sniper take out all who stand before him – Come on Andy……..
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: AO 2013 QF: Murray [3] v Chardy « Reply #111 on: January 22, 2013, 04:30 PM »

This just ruins the integrity of the sport. Federer has ruined tennis on many levels and the aftermath won’t be pretty as organizers will find it hard to gather as much interest in general public going forward.

The thing is, does the sport really deserve such interest when it is patently obvious that one player is being so blatantly favoured above everyone else? I'm really not sure it does.

To my mind this sort of thing shows tennis up as basically a boys club, where if your face fits you'll be all right. It also shows it up as a 'sport' where nothing really matters except money and TV ratings, which translates into advertising revenue. Any sense of fair play and decency goes right out of the window. It's disgraceful.

The solution is quite clear to me. Before the quarter finals there are four rounds, obviously. Now, let's be truthful, most people watch tennis to see the top four, and in this instance I mean Djokovic, Andy, Ferrer and that other person, bearing in mind that Rafa is out for now. The rest, apart from the odd match, are peripheral. So, all you do is give one of the top four one night match in the first four rounds, i.e. in round one the defending champion would get the first night match, then the second seed would get it in the second round and so on. Surely there must be a way to do that and keep the idea of the draw, essentially a day where they play and then get a day 'off', in place.

To my mind it either needs something like that, which might work, it might not, or it needs someone to step in and oversee schedules are done fairly, without favouring any players. Tour supervisors attend matches, so maybe something like that should be brought in for the schedules.

I'd volunteer to be a schedule overseer. I'd put Federer on in the heat of the day, every day, for the rest of his career.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: AO 2013 QF: Murray [3] v Chardy « Reply #112 on: January 22, 2013, 04:46 PM »

Life isn't fair and Tennis sure as hell isn't either. I mean lower ranked players (I don't mean Andy) will never get the same treatment as the stars of the sport and as it stands, Federer is the biggest draw there is in Tennis, whether we like it or not. Plus, all of the opponents he played are somewhat well-known and the matches had bigger potential than Andy's. It was predictable and for the average Tennis fan Tsonga/Federer has more appeal than Murray/Chardy. If things were reversed and Andy was playing Tsonga or if Del Potro had gotten through than it would be different. Things are how they are and they are unlikely to change anytime soon, certainly not as long as Federer is playing.
[ Last edit by silver lining January 22, 2013, 04:57 PM ] IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: AO 2013 QF: Murray [3] v Chardy « Reply #113 on: January 22, 2013, 04:46 PM »

Was just reading the article in the Daily Mail about the unfair scheduling and saw this comment - interesting:-

Used to have a lot of time for Federer until last Summer at the Olympics when he refused to sign an autograph for my kids... said he "was not allowed to"... He might be a great player but he has become so aloof, strutting around. Time for him to become a little more engagement with fans

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2013 QF: Murray [3] v Chardy « Reply #114 on: January 22, 2013, 04:54 PM »

Life isn't fair and Tennis sure as hell isn't either. I mean lower ranked players (I don't mean Andy) will never get the same treatment as the stars of the sport and as it stands, Federer is the biggest draw there is in Tennis, whether we like it or not. Plus, all of the opponents he played are somewhat well-known and the matches had bigger potential than Andy's. It was predictable and for the average Tennis fan Tsonga/Federer has more appeal than Murray/Chardy. If things were reversed and Andy was playing Tsonga or if Del Potro had gotten through than things would be different. Things are how they are and they are unlikely to change anytime soon, definitely not as long as Federer is playing.

The whole point is missed though because it's not only about drawing the bigger crowd but it keeps Federer fresh since he doesn’t have to deal with the sun and that's a significant advantage for a guy like Federer. And also, he plays better at night so that gives him another advantage. At this point of his career, his fitness is the key for him to survive a tournament, where each round involves 5 sets and it goes on for two weeks. 
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: AO 2013 QF: Murray [3] v Chardy « Reply #115 on: January 22, 2013, 04:59 PM »

so if Andy and Fed play each other in the semi-finals have they already decided it will be a night match? Or do they wait until the QFs are completed?
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: AO 2013 QF: Murray [3] v Chardy « Reply #116 on: January 22, 2013, 05:00 PM »

The whole point is missed though because it's not only about drawing the bigger crowd but it keeps Federer fresh since he doesn’t have to deal with the sun and that's a significant advantage for a guy like Federer. And also, he plays better at night so that gives him another advantage. At this point of his career, his fitness is the key for him to survive a tournament, where each round involves 5 sets and it goes on for two weeks.  

Well, it doesn't really though. I mean Andy has an advantage over Chardy as well, because he played on RLA before, could test the court-speed etc, while Chardy couldn't. Let's face it, at the end of the day we are only looking out for Andy's best interest and if roles were indeed reversed and Andy had gotten all the night matches none of you would cry bloody murder.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: AO 2013 QF: Murray [3] v Chardy « Reply #117 on: January 22, 2013, 05:00 PM »

Fed been around a long time with many fans watching him while growing up, and he's still playing exceptional tennis whether you like it for not. He also has his face on many big-name adverts which Joe Public see repetitively.
Federer fever will take some time to wane... but it will.

Back to Andy/Chardy.
Darren Cahill spoke a bit about Chardy during the Djoker/Berdy match. He's been watching him closely over the years, and says he is fascinated by him, but that he is "..the most up and down player on the tour."
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: AO 2013 QF: Murray [3] v Chardy « Reply #118 on: January 22, 2013, 05:03 PM »

TBH  I think  you may be all over reacting.    Murray has a match against Chardy.   Federer has a match against Tsonga.    I think the majority of the public would want to see Tsonga v Federer.    Yes it is unfair on Andy  but you just gotta suck it up.  When Murray plays at Wimbledon he is pretty much on last on Centre Court from the 3rd round onwards. Why? Because the BBC knows that their viewership goes up because he is a British player.
 Murray has proved he can play in all sorts of conditions. It's no problem for him.

This is the sort of story that doesn't do Andy any favours as far as good PR is concerned. Keep focused on the main target andy - we'll all be watching you on Sunday morning when you'll have centre stage against Novak - game on!

IP Logged
murrays girl

Re: AO 2013 QF: Murray [3] v Chardy « Reply #119 on: January 22, 2013, 05:05 PM »

thank you for welcome ruthiee :-)   if murray does get through can probz safetly say that him and federer will be a night match djocovic -ferrer. Probley day match,really happy to hear ivan has took him to a court similar to rod laver arena so at least that's something

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 42 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »