Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2013 R2: Murray [3] vs Sousa 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions!
Murray in 3 - 39 (90.7%)
Murray in 4 - 3 (7%)
Murray in 5 - 1 (2.3%)
Sousa in 3 - 0 (0%)
Sousa in 4 - 0 (0%)
Sousa in 5 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 43

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2013 R2: Murray [3] vs Sousa

(Read 9910 times)
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: AO 2013 R2: Murray (3) v Sousa « Reply #480 on: January 17, 2013, 01:25 PM »

well done andy keep it up
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: AO 2013 R2: Murray (3) v Sousa « Reply #481 on: January 17, 2013, 01:36 PM »

Well played Andy, looking so good.  yay
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: AO 2013 R2: Murray (3) v Sousa « Reply #482 on: January 17, 2013, 02:35 PM »

I was browsing the comments left on the bbc article Murray v Sousa match. It always degenerates into troll land ie. none of the three top Brits are English. A Scott, an Australian and Guernsey Is. But I came across this piece from someone who claims to have worked (I take it to be Wimbledon) behind the scenes:-

Those who criticise Murray's personality know nothing about him. Having worked at a grandslam for a number of years the three nicest players by country mile are Nadal, Murray and Tsonga. Federer is fairly rude behind the scenes and Djokovic gets his entourage to do everything for him. Murray is always a gent. Good luck to him, undeniably one of the hardest working pros in the game.

I though it was quite revealing.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: AO 2013 R2: Murray (3) v Sousa « Reply #483 on: January 17, 2013, 02:57 PM »

Well done Andy looking awesome! C'mon crocodile dunblane!!!  yay yay cmon yeah racquet
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: AO 2013 R2: Murray (3) v Sousa « Reply #484 on: January 17, 2013, 04:00 PM »

Hi All,

Sometimes I think it's a conspiracy to stop me sleeping. Not only was I cold all night (bloody January!), but Andy was playing as well and I kept waking up wondering how he was doing. Honestly, I'd have been just as well to have stayed up and watched lol. In the end I gave up and put the TV on at 3.45am to see what was going on and found the match all but over. That's my boy! I've just watched the re-run on Eurosport and I think he was great.

You know, I really think Andy is looking splendid. Is it me or is he just playing quietly and calmly within himself at the moment? I know you could argue that he has played people so far he should get through fairly easily, but he hasn't mucked about at all really, hasn't got down on himself when he has missed the odd shot and looks utterly focused on the task in hand. Add in to that equation that he still looks like a tonne weight has been lifted off him and he looks almost like he is enjoying some of the interviews and such, I think everything is going as well as we could expect so far. I think the days of Andy taking detours around beating early opponents have been vanquished, and thank God for that lol.

Andy's second serve was much better today. His first serve is in good nick too, very good. His FSP was a tiny bit low, but hey-ho, no one is perfect. Whistle The thing I enjoyed about today was that he seemed to get the balance right between being aggressive and giving Sousa the run-around. Mind you, given some experience I wonder how good Sousa could be. He didn't threaten Andy, but he didn't seem intimidated either, although I think he did get frustrated when he realised that Andy is just better in every department.

So, it's Berankis in the third round, another I know nothing about.
IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: AO 2013 R2: Murray (3) v Sousa « Reply #485 on: January 17, 2013, 04:18 PM »

You changed your 'profile,' Dave?
Nicely done.

It was always my ugly mug on here. I just haven't posted since the end of the WTF.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: AO 2013 R2: Murray (3) v Sousa « Reply #486 on: January 17, 2013, 05:29 PM »

I was browsing the comments left on the bbc article Murray v Sousa match. It always degenerates into troll land ie. none of the three top Brits are English. A Scott, an Australian and Guernsey Is. But I came across this piece from someone who claims to have worked (I take it to be Wimbledon) behind the scenes:-

Those who criticise Murray's personality know nothing about him. Having worked at a grandslam for a number of years the three nicest players by country mile are Nadal, Murray and Tsonga. Federer is fairly rude behind the scenes and Djokovic gets his entourage to do everything for him. Murray is always a gent. Good luck to him, undeniably one of the hardest working pros in the game.

Thanks Dex for sharing these nice words about Andy.  I thought Andy played so great last night, at least the sets I saw.  I am still furious that Tennis Channel stopped broadcasting the Open and it switched to ESPN2 where there was a basketball game and by the time tennis came on I had missed the end of Andy's match and any interview.  I wrote to tennis channel about their lousey coverage.

I will look on youtube to see if the match is on there.  I feel I was robbed of the most exciting part, the end where Andy wins and is interviewed.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 R2: Murray (3) v Sousa « Reply #487 on: January 17, 2013, 06:22 PM »

Im finding it bizarre the lack of media coverage of Andy's matches. The current US open champion seeded 3 in this major.... Oz Tv would rather focus on players with virtually no chance of winning the tourno.... Duckworth rather than Murray???? really? ..is it coz of his fame from Coronation St?...lol...mind you at least he's actually from Australia...rather than Tomic the German lad who thinks he is the next world no1 based on a diddy tourno win in Sydney...a win vs Djoko whilst he was practising and 2 wins v low ranked virtually unknown players in the open.

IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: AO 2013 R2: Murray (3) v Sousa « Reply #488 on: January 17, 2013, 06:31 PM »

Excellent comments by an (objective) person who had no reason to speak anything other than the truth.

How refreshing to hear a comment that has some real value.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: AO 2013 R2: Murray (3) v Sousa « Reply #489 on: January 17, 2013, 06:49 PM »

thanks for that dex - I wish all Andy's detractors could read it too.
re lack of media coverage in Oz - well I guess it's just the mirror image of what happens here.  And I suspect that most of the media coverage in UK will be for Laura now, which is deserved as she put out a top 10 player today.   And much as I love reading about Andy I'm perfectly happy for him to progress more or less under the media radar (though he'll never be completely beneath it now and I understand that crocodile dunblane has gone viral).
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 R2: Murray (3) v Sousa « Reply #490 on: January 17, 2013, 07:09 PM »

thanks for that dex - I wish all Andy's detractors could read it too.
re lack of media coverage in Oz - well I guess it's just the mirror image of what happens here.  And I suspect that most of the media coverage in UK will be for Laura now, which is deserved as she put out a top 10 player today.   And much as I love reading about Andy I'm perfectly happy for him to progress more or less under the media radar (though he'll never be completely beneath it now and I understand that crocodile dunblane has gone viral).

have lived in both countries....wouldnt say its a mirror image. Oz is by far the most biased sport coverage ive ever encountered...live in the US now...would say they have the fairest spread of coverage over anywhere.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: AO 2013 R2: Murray (3) v Sousa « Reply #491 on: January 17, 2013, 11:15 PM »

Just a thought, but did anyone else think Sousa looked like Tommy Haas?
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: AO 2013 R2: Murray (3) v Sousa « Reply #492 on: January 17, 2013, 11:16 PM »

No
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: AO 2013 R2: Murray (3) v Sousa « Reply #493 on: January 17, 2013, 11:26 PM »

Just a thought, but did anyone else think Sousa looked like Tommy Haas?

lolwut?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 R2: Murray (3) v Sousa « Reply #494 on: January 18, 2013, 01:13 AM »

Thanks for posting Dex. Smile  It's always nice to hear from somebody with first-hand knowledge.  Disappointing about Djokovic though, since I thought he might have been a bit more considerate.  Oh well ...

You know, I really think Andy is looking splendid. Is it me or is he just playing quietly and calmly within himself at the moment? I know you could argue that he has played people so far he should get through fairly easily, but he hasn't mucked about at all really, hasn't got down on himself when he has missed the odd shot and looks utterly focused on the task in hand. Add in to that equation that he still looks like a tonne weight has been lifted off him and he looks almost like he is enjoying some of the interviews and such, I think everything is going as well as we could expect so far. I think the days of Andy taking detours around beating early opponents have been vanquished, and thank God for that lol.
There was a little bit of Murray muttering at the start of the 3rd set, when he did lose focus briefly and Sousa upped his game, but I think he was anxious to get out of that hot sun as quickly as possible.

I'd hope so on that one, but I'm not counting on it. Smile

Andy's second serve was much better today. His first serve is in good nick too, very good. His FSP was a tiny bit low, but hey-ho, no one is perfect. Whistle The thing I enjoyed about today was that he seemed to get the balance right between being aggressive and giving Sousa the run-around. Mind you, given some experience I wonder how good Sousa could be. He didn't threaten Andy, but he didn't seem intimidated either, although I think he did get frustrated when he realised that Andy is just better in every department.
14 aces isn't bad, I agree, and it would be good if we could see this repeated more often.

As for Sousa, I'm not too happy about the way the media have dismissed him like he was of no consequence.  He played a lot of very good shots, most of which would have been winners against other lower-ranked players, so I hope he hasn't gone away from this match feeling disheartened but instead can take the positives out of it.  I thought the scoreline was quite respectable in the circumstances, and at 23 he has plenty of time to improve if his aim is to get into the top 50.  Also it's interesting that his record in Challengers and Futures is good, both on clay as well as on hard, and his win record as at September 2012 was 10-5 in singles and 11-2 in doubles.  He only really started playing ATP 250s and 500s last year, so if he can get just one ATP title under his belt, that should improve his confidence.
[ Last edit by Aileen January 18, 2013, 01:59 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »