Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Your predictions -
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Berankis in 3
Berankis in 4
Berankis in 5

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis

(Read 11279 times)
Apollo
World No 1

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #825 on: January 19, 2013, 11:36 PM »

I have this feeling that Scotnadian is right, Andy is very concerned about Ross or at least that seems to be the case.  The fingers in the air are pointing to something or someone...higher power or whatever he believes in, and if that higher power can help him win matches, maybe they can also help his friend.  I believe that is more likely than that he was swearing in Spanish.  Swearing doesn't even make sense, he just won his match.  Plus, he had to know he was on camera and they were recording.

Does anyone know what is wrong with Ross?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #826 on: January 19, 2013, 11:38 PM »

I have this feeling that Scotnadian is right, Andy is very concerned about Ross or at least that seems to be the case.  The fingers in the air are pointing to something or someone...higher power or whatever he believes in, and if that higher power can help him win matches, maybe they can also help his friend.  I believe that is more likely than that he was swearing in Spanish.  Swearing doesn't even make sense, he just won his match.  Plus, he had to know he was on camera and they were recording.

He has Hodgkins Lymphoma, a form of cancer.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #827 on: January 19, 2013, 11:59 PM »

He announced some weeks ago he's trying his best to stop swearing on court. However the large number of microphones around the court, especially at the AO pick up every single word. Andy said most players swear now and again but the non-English speakers dont get criticised and get away with it! - Hence he swore in Spanish.

Simple!

I think he'd be criticised more if he decided to start swearing in Spanish. He obviously lets the odd swear word out when he is frustrated.  He could hardly say he was trying to watch his language and then make a choice to start swearing in a foreign language.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #828 on: January 20, 2013, 12:21 AM »

He has Hodgkins Lymphoma, a form of cancer.
I'm so sorry to hear that, I am sure it is very hard on Andy.  One doesn't think that a young person should get that disease, it makes one Andy's age feel so mortal.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #829 on: January 20, 2013, 12:57 AM »

Sorry Apollo.. this is the polar opposite of what I was suggesting.

I'm more thinking Andy is angry at 'upstairs,' hence his swearing in Spanish. Why would he swear in Spanish, I hear you ask? Well.. he has said several times in the past that lots of other players also swear but they get away with it because it is in their own language.
I think he's angry about Ross and wanted to make a personal statement, but it would be too raw to say it in English. He's fluent enough in Spanish and probably knows it wont be picked up by the media.
I'm personally very happy about it.
Like I said earlier, I may be off base, but that's what I believe.

Cancer brings out all manner of emotions in people, especially when it hits close to home.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #830 on: January 20, 2013, 01:58 AM »

FF to his victory at the end. Sounds like "Si cabrón, Si Roscoe, Si!"

You be the judge.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/video/index.html#ooid=E1MmVqODrEGLEIRB_1bWI6ScqKpwitvc
I've listened carefully a few times.  Whatever that first word is it definitely isn't 'cabron' - which I understand means 'a**hole', so I'm not sure why he'd be using that here anyway unless, of course, he was venting his anger at the situation.  However it sounds to me like the word ends in 'ol' - but maybe there's another swear word that ends with that? 
[ Last edit by Aileen January 20, 2013, 02:13 AM ] IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #831 on: January 20, 2013, 02:03 AM »

Andy to continue to be superb on his first serve. Hopefully his second serve should pick up. Berankis was entertaining but I expect Andy's game to improve from here on. I've gone for AM in 3.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #832 on: January 20, 2013, 02:05 AM »

I've listened carefully a few times.  Whatever that first word is it definitely isn't 'cabron' - which I understand means 'a**hole', so I'm not sure why he'd be using that here anyway unless, of course, he was venting his anger at the situation.  However it sounds to me like the word ends in 'ol' - but maybe there's another swear word that ends with that?
Si cabrón Si Rosco, Si!
 google

Check this out:

I Love Andy Murray‏@Iloveandymurray

@miyaneu llegas a entender todo lo que dice???

@Iloveandymurray algo asi: SI CABRON SI ROSCO SI!

@miyaneu no pronuncia muy bien la R por eso no se si dice Rosco, asi le dice a su amigo enfermo Ross... Puede ser!

@Iloveandymurray siii eso lei.q a su amigo le dice asi de cariño...entonces si dice eso Very Happy

@miyaneu eso esta clarisimo xD! Dice algo como "si cabron, si osco, si" tiene acento español lol

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #833 on: January 20, 2013, 02:23 AM »

"SI CABRON SI ROSCO SI"

What is the exact English translation of this sentence?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #834 on: January 20, 2013, 02:32 AM »

Si cabrón Si Rosco, Si!
 google

Check this out:

I Love Andy Murray‏@Iloveandymurray

@Iloveandymurray algo asi: SI CABRON SI ROSCO SI!

@miyaneu no pronuncia muy bien la R por eso no se si dice Rosco, asi le dice a su amigo enfermo Ross... Puede ser!

@Iloveandymurray siii eso lei.q a su amigo le dice asi de cariño...entonces si dice eso Very Happy

@miyaneu eso esta clarisimo xD! Dice algo como "si cabron, si osco, si" tiene acento español lol

OK so I've checked it out on Google Translate, but having listened to the video three times more - and how often did this tweeter hear Andy say it (and she does use the words 'something like') - I still don't think the word is 'cabron' but is a word ending in 'ol', but still agree it's something offensive, otherwise why the Spanish?

"SI CABRON SI ROSCO SI"

What is the exact English translation of this sentence?
Literally, according to Google Translate, 'If a**hole if Rosco if', although the tweeter uses the word 'motherfucker'.  I guess you could translate it better into English though by substituting the word 'why' for 'if', because that would make more sense, i.e. Why have you [whoever] let this happen?  Why Rosco?  Why?

P.S. - The ** aren't mine but MW's.  I'm not that squeamish!
[ Last edit by Aileen January 20, 2013, 03:12 AM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #835 on: January 20, 2013, 08:05 AM »

It seems to me unlikely that Andy would swear in any language at that point.  He usually swears at times of frustration and there will be many Spanish speakers watching so doing it in Spanish at that point serves no real end.   Linda's theory that it was some kind of reference to Ross Hutchins seems plausible.   Was he asked about it in his press conference?
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #836 on: January 20, 2013, 10:32 AM »

I guess we'll never truly know - and in a way, is it really any of our business? but interesting to speculate on.

So I'll just throw this into the mix. It could be 'roscoe' - but to me it does sound more like he was saying "see, a***hole, see" - which could have come from the stress and relief of the moment, and was a declaration of his acheivement to someone he wanted to prove himself to. So maybe a***hole is his pet nick name for Lendl.....
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #837 on: January 20, 2013, 11:12 AM »

I think he'd be criticised more if he decided to start swearing in Spanish. He obviously lets the odd swear word out when he is frustrated.  He could hardly say he was trying to watch his language and then make a choice to start swearing in a foreign language.
Totally agree.  Although I'm not convinced that Andy is trying to stop swearing anyway (in any language).   He's got better things to worry about when he's on court and in those moments when swear words slip out.  He'll know some people don't like it, and won't want to upset anyone, but I imagine like most of us, he doesn't see anything fundamentally wrong in it.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #838 on: January 20, 2013, 12:09 PM »

To be fair, Andy never did say he was trying to watch his language. That idea came from the press, who took something he said out of context, but there is nothing new in that.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #839 on: January 20, 2013, 12:16 PM »

I guess we'll never truly know - and in a way, is it really any of our business? but interesting to speculate on.

So I'll just throw this into the mix. It could be 'roscoe' - but to me it does sound more like he was saying "see, a***hole, see" - which could have come from the stress and relief of the moment, and was a declaration of his acheivement to someone he wanted to prove himself to. So maybe a***hole is his pet nick name for Lendl.....
[/quote

Ha ha I like it Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »