Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Your predictions -
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Berankis in 3
Berankis in 4
Berankis in 5

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 [57] Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis

(Read 12945 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #840 on: January 20, 2013, 03:39 PM »

It's a bit hard to say since we have no idea who exactly Andy points his figures to but I guess it's something between the two and it happens when Andy's emotions are still very raw. He does then slightly become a different person. But I can't be the judge because I don't know the whole scenario. Every one has their personal dilemma and every one has their own way of dealing with it. Having said that, I'd love it if Andy cut down the swearing in public. Just not a big fan of it. Hard to even imagine that he swears to begin with.  
[ Last edit by Emma Jean January 20, 2013, 03:55 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #841 on: January 20, 2013, 09:41 PM »

I guess we'll never truly know - and in a way, is it really any of our business? but interesting to speculate on.

So I'll just throw this into the mix. It could be 'roscoe' - but to me it does sound more like he was saying "see, a***hole, see" - which could have come from the stress and relief of the moment, and was a declaration of his acheivement to someone he wanted to prove himself to. So maybe a***hole is his pet nick name for Lendl.....
well if that is what he said perhaps he was talking to himself given he is his own biggest critic?  I could imagine him calling himself that after a match when he felt he didn't play nearly as well as he is able to.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #842 on: January 20, 2013, 10:03 PM »

Sorry Apollo.. this is the polar opposite of what I was suggesting.

I'm more thinking Andy is angry at 'upstairs,' hence his swearing in Spanish. Why would he swear in Spanish, I hear you ask? Well.. he has said several times in the past that lots of other players also swear but they get away with it because it is in their own language.
I think he's angry about Ross and wanted to make a personal statement, but it would be too raw to say it in English. He's fluent enough in Spanish and probably knows it wont be picked up by the media.
I'm personally very happy about it.
Like I said earlier, I may be off base, but that's what I believe.

Cancer brings out all manner of emotions in people, especially when it hits close to home.

Well I guess we all have a right to our own opinions, unfortunately, we will probably never know the answer unless Andy writes another book....maybe.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #843 on: January 20, 2013, 10:04 PM »

Only Andy knows the answer.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #844 on: January 20, 2013, 10:06 PM »

well if that is what he said perhaps he was talking to himself given he is his own biggest critic?  I could imagine him calling himself that after a match when he felt he didn't play nearly as well as he is able to.

That's a good possibility too but I think so far Scot's scenario makes the most sense to me.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #845 on: January 21, 2013, 01:51 AM »

well if that is what he said perhaps he was talking to himself given he is his own biggest critic?  I could imagine him calling himself that after a match when he felt he didn't play nearly as well as he is able to.
Well the video's gone now so I guess we can stop the speculation.  It'll be interesting though if he shouts something after the Simon match - although he usually does his pointy thing in the middle of the court, so if he does it's unlikely any mikes will pick it up.  He was fairly close to the umpires chair here, which is why it was (almost) audible.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #846 on: January 21, 2013, 02:36 AM »

To be fair, Andy never did say he was trying to watch his language. That idea came from the press, who took something he said out of context, but there is nothing new in that.

I remember watching a video not that long ago and Andy did say that he was trying not to swear. As I said I think it would be odd to say that and then make a
decision to swear in Spanish.  I think that would be worse than swearing in English. To be honest the swearing doesn't really bother me that much. However, it does give commentators an excuse to have a go at him.
[ Last edit by IonaRed January 21, 2013, 02:39 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #847 on: January 21, 2013, 03:22 AM »

I remember watching a video not that long ago and Andy did say that he was trying not to swear. As I said I think it would be odd to say that and then make a
decision to swear in Spanish.  I think that would be worse than swearing in English. To be honest the swearing doesn't really bother me that much. However, it does give commentators an excuse to have a go at him.
But, as I think has already been said, was he actually saying anything in Spanish?  Given that the first word he used wasn't very clear, but was claimed by some to be a Spanish swear word, Andy could well have been saying 'See' and not 'Si'.  I'm not sure why he'd want to speak in Spanish anyway, given how widely it's spoken and also the fact that a lot of people in the UK have some understanding of the language, if only the basics and the sweary bits!  But I guess some people are going to hear what they want to hear.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #848 on: January 21, 2013, 03:47 AM »

But, as I think has already been said, was he actually saying anything in Spanish?  Given that the first word he used wasn't very clear, but was claimed by some to be a Spanish swear word, Andy could well have been saying 'See' and not 'Si'.  I'm not sure why he'd want to speak in Spanish anyway, given how widely it's spoken and also the fact that a lot of people in the UK have some understanding of the language, if only the basics and the sweary bits!  But I guess some people are going to hear what they want to hear.

I'm the first to admit that I have no idea what he said. It did sound like he said a few words in Spanish. There has been discussions on quite a few tennis forums and twitter with regard to what he said.  I'm only responding to suggestions that he could be swearing in Spanish. That would make no sense to me. No big deal.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #849 on: January 21, 2013, 04:24 AM »

I'm the first to admit that I have no idea what he said. It did sound like he said a few words in Spanish. There has been discussions on quite a few tennis forums and twitter with regard to what he said.  I'm only responding to suggestions that he could be swearing in Spanish. That would make no sense to me. No big deal.
I listened several times to what he said and I swear (no pun intended) that that first word ended in 'ol' or 'all', and so did a friend of mine who listened to it without being aware of the suggestion that it was the Spanish word 'cabron', so it could be anything really.

Anyway I feel sorry for Andy.  Every little thing he says or does has to get dissected over and over - and it's possible he never intended what he said to be heard, although he did seem to say it quite loudly - but then, these court-side mikes are extremely sensitive.

I don't care if he occasionally swears in English when he's playing if it helps him get rid of frustration.  At least he isn't in the habit of regularly smashing rackets up, because that's something I don't like to see - bad workmen blaming their tools springs to mind.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2013 R3: Murray [3] vs Berankis « Reply #850 on: January 21, 2013, 03:58 PM »

I don't think Andy personally cares who says what about him because despite all criticism he remains true to himself on court. It does bother us though when he gets crucified for it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 [57] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »