Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions!
Murray in 3 - 39 (68.4%)
Murray in 4 - 4 (7%)
Murray in 5 - 1 (1.8%)
Simon in 3 - 1 (1.8%)
Simon in 4 - 0 (0%)
Simon in 5 - 0 (0%)
Simon loses his legs and concedes the match - 12 (21.1%)
Total Voters: 57

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 32 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14]

(Read 11748 times)
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #120 on: January 20, 2013, 07:12 PM »

I think Joker is in trouble now after that marathon match versus Stan. Can he recover in time to beat both Berdych and Ferrer to reach the final? I can definetly see Berdych giving him another strength sapping match in the QFs.

It'll be interesting to see. Remember that Novak had a similarly long match with Murray in the SF last year and still won the final after a marathon match...
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #121 on: January 20, 2013, 07:14 PM »

But after the Nadal one, he could barely stand. I hope Berdych and Ferrer take him to 5 sets each time so that if he does get to the final it will be clinical for our Andy.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #122 on: January 20, 2013, 07:20 PM »

I think Andy in 3, because I read something about Simon's elbow after the Monfils marathon, but also because Andy is just better!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #123 on: January 20, 2013, 07:28 PM »

insecure coz of comments against Fed?   lol...get a grip...its a fans forum ... its called banter....hardly nasty ...at least what ive read and written. Maybe you should relax and not take things said on an open forum so seriously.
I'm sure you intend it as banter, but some of the comments read as pretty nasty, and I'm not even particularly a fan of Federer, or Raonic etc.   I have no issue with banter,  but to qualify as banter, you have to like the person you are taking the mickey out of, and it must be done affectionately and be obviously affectionate.  Some is affectionate and I'm not denying that, but some of it crosses the line, and it makes me feel uncomfortable.   Your suggestion that I should "get a grip" won't stop it looking bad to a casual reader.  The suggestion of relaxing is more apt for those who allow themselves to get so wound up by other players that they are prone to outbursts about them.

My concerns aren't restricted to this thread or any specific poster.  I've not exactly been keeping notes, so it's not aimed at anyone in particular and if you don't think it applies to you, feel free to ignore. 

And part of my point was that it is an open forum.  It's not just that I don't like to read it.  I don't like how it reflects on the rest of us.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #124 on: January 20, 2013, 07:37 PM »

It'll be interesting to see. Remember that Novak had a similarly long match with Murray in the SF last year and still won the final after a marathon match...
That's true, but psychologically I think it's different when the marathon match is in the semi-final against a player with whom you would expect to battle, and with just one more match to go.   Today's match wasn't expected to be tough.

Obviously, there is plenty of time for Nole to recover before he can possibly meet Andy, but if it makes him a bit less sharp for the next game, that might become harder work and take longer than otherwise expected and so on. 

But it is a reminder that you cannot assume the top seed will have an easy time of it.  Nole beat Stan on their previous 10 meetings - one more time than Andy has beaten Simon!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #125 on: January 20, 2013, 07:58 PM »

I think Joker is in trouble now after that marathon match versus Stan. Can he recover in time to beat both Berdych and Ferrer to reach the final? I can definetly see Berdych giving him another strength sapping match in the QFs.

Yes, I think it will be a very interesting match. There's now a possibility looming of either Berdych or Ferrer (more so because if Berdych does go on to beat Nole, he'll be overwhelmed by it even slightly so and may not be able to concentrate as much in his next much and  his H2H vs Ferrer is not great) making the final from the top half. I think chances are siding with Ferrer more and more. This will be his first GS final if it does happen. Long shot but it seems anything is possible from this point on. I just feel AO took an interesting turn with the match tonight.

2 matches to watch in the bottom half going forward are Federer vs Raonic tonight and later, Federer vs Murray if they both make it that far.  I can't help but feel there will be a few more twists and turns of events from this point on. On both sides. 

IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #126 on: January 20, 2013, 08:13 PM »

Yes, I think it will be a very interesting match. There's now a possibility looming of either Berdych or Ferrer (more so because if Berdych does go on to beat Nole, he'll be overwhelmed by it even slightly so and may not be able to concentrate as much in his next much and  his H2H vs Ferrer is not great) making the final from the top half. I think chances are siding with Ferrer more and more. This will be his first GS final if it does happen. Long shot but it seems anything is possible from this point on. I just feel AO took an interesting turn with the match tonight.

2 matches to watch in the bottom half going forward are Federer vs Raonic tonight and later, Federer vs Murray if they both make it that far.  I can't help but feel there will be a few more twists and turns of events from this point on. On both sides. 

I think we might be underestimating Djoko and Fed ! I predict both will win their next matches in 3. They're just too good for these guys. Raonic has yet to convince he's the real deal, and Djokovic's recovery ability is well understood. I think he's more likely to be stung into action next up - wouldn't like to be in Berdych's shoes.

I'm a wee bit worried that Andy might not get the contest he needs from an under par Simon. I've watched Andy's previous matches and I feel that he needs an opponent who will give him some real problems. I'm thinking that the Lopez match at USO, although nerve wracking at the time, gave Andy that competitive sharpness which carried him on to ultimate victory.

I'm left with a feeling that, for Andy, the tournament hasn't really got into gear yet. nervous
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #127 on: January 20, 2013, 08:14 PM »

No-one watching Nole vs Wawa atm? Down a set and a break Eyebrow raise.

wave Hi everyone. Back at hotel packing for early start tomorrow. Hope to be home in time for Andy's match.

cmonandy If Wawa is gonna knock Nole out it best not be to some other player's advantage!
Good to hear from you Bev. Hope you enjoyed your mini-break?  I'll be at work when Andy starts, so cant watch it. Frown
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #128 on: January 20, 2013, 08:21 PM »

I'm pleased to see Ferrer through too, but after being dominated by Ferrer in the first two sets, Nishi put up a great fight in the 3rd, despite the fact that the knee he recently injured had started giving him a lot of pain.

I admire Simon's grit and determination.  Cramping like that must be horrible.

ALERT - By the way, it says in the match schedule that this match won't be on before 5 pm local time (6 am GMT), but that doesn't mean that it'll necessarily start then.  It could be later depending on how long the earlier matches last.  Also Chardy suffered a knee injury in his doubles match against the Bryan bros, so there's a possibility that he could withdraw - and in that case Andy's match might be brought forward. 

Thanks for your advanced warning Aileen abt the start times.... You're on the ball!
 goodjob
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #129 on: January 20, 2013, 08:25 PM »

I think we might be underestimating Djoko and Fed ! I predict both will win their next matches in 3. They're just too good for these guys. Raonic has yet to convince he's the real deal, and Djokovic's recovery ability is well understood. I think he's more likely to be stung into action next up - wouldn't like to be in Berdych's shoes.

I'm a wee bit worried that Andy might not get the contest he needs from an under par Simon. I've watched Andy's previous matches and I feel that he needs an opponent who will give him some real problems. I'm thinking that the Lopez match at USO, although nerve wracking at the time, gave Andy that competitive sharpness which carried him on to ultimate victory.

I'm left with a feeling that, for Andy, the tournament hasn't really got into gear yet. nervous

Right now, I don't want to underestimate either Berdych or Tsonga or Raonic or Ferrer that's all I can say. We already know that the likes of Federer, Nadal, Nole, Murray etc. are very good. I don't think anyone can possibly underestimate their abilities if they are in the right frame of mind. I just feel that things got a lot more interesting all of a sudden especially since Friday (the best night of AO so far) night and who is to say there's no more coming.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #130 on: January 20, 2013, 08:29 PM »

Well BBH anything on this site is possible as you well know. For me Andy is always a winner and always will be. However it begs belief that someone on MW posted such a result.
Shall we round up the usual suspects?  Question whip
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #131 on: January 20, 2013, 08:44 PM »

Why wouldn't he play...he's on a win win .....He,ll get all the sympathy going and Andy will take advantage of him not doing enough training,being unfit and become enemy no 1.
D'you remember the last time he played an injured Giles Simon in Paris, in 2011?
Simon hobbled around, couldn't run for toffee and Andy worked him from left to right, and drop shots within 2 cm of the net to make it impossible for him to reach.

The Frenchies were livid (understatment) were cussing, breathing fire and brimstone at Andy because he took advantage of his apponents disability. Sacrebleu!
Expected him to feel sorry for Simon and give him the match out of sympathy.
Hope there's not too many Frech fans there. Watch this space tomorrow!
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #132 on: January 20, 2013, 09:09 PM »

Right now, I don't want to underestimate either Berdych or Tsonga or Raonic or Ferrer that's all I can say. We already know that the likes of Federer, Nadal, Nole, Murray etc. are very good. I don't think anyone can possibly underestimate their abilities if they are in the right frame of mind. I just feel that things got a lot more interesting all of a sudden especially since Friday (the best night of AO so far) night and who is to say there's no more coming.

Fair point EJ ! thumb up
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #133 on: January 20, 2013, 09:12 PM »

But after the Nadal one, he could barely stand. I hope Berdych and Ferrer take him to 5 sets each time so that if he does get to the final it will be clinical for our Andy.
No rash assumptions, please - Andy still has to get to the final too. Anything could happen between now and then.  Also I would never, ever under-estimate Djokovic.  That guy has a will of iron.

D'you remember the last time he played an injured Giles Simon in Paris, in 2011?
Simon hobbled around, couldn't run for toffee and Andy worked him from left to right, and drop shots within 2 cm of the net to make it impossible for him to reach.

The Frenchies were livid (understatment) were cussing, breathing fire and brimstone at Andy because he took advantage of his apponents disability. Sacrebleu!
Expected him to feel sorry for Simon and give him the match out of sympathy.
Hope there's not too many Frech fans there. Watch this space tomorrow!
They're probably heading out to Oz in droves right now!  I felt a bit sorry for Simon too in that match, but this is tennis, and there's no room for sympathy in sport.   Andy would have expected an opponent to have treated him in the same way had the shoe been on the other foot.
[ Last edit by Aileen January 20, 2013, 09:26 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #134 on: January 20, 2013, 09:44 PM »

Hasn't stopped him before. How long were his matches against Seppi and Tsonga before he trounced Federer in Roland Garros last year?

He'll be fine.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 32 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »