Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions!
Murray in 3 - 39 (68.4%)
Murray in 4 - 4 (7%)
Murray in 5 - 1 (1.8%)
Simon in 3 - 1 (1.8%)
Simon in 4 - 0 (0%)
Simon in 5 - 0 (0%)
Simon loses his legs and concedes the match - 12 (21.1%)
Total Voters: 57

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 32 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14]

(Read 10070 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #75 on: January 20, 2013, 07:37 AM »

I guess it was inevitable that Andy wouldn't get the night match as they have to assume Simon might pull out or retire early in the match and they can't risk that with the night match.  But it means Fed will have had every match at night, which gives him an advantage if the SF is played at night as he'll be so used to the night conditions (unless of course Raonic puts him out - I have no idea how Raonic is playing as seems to be completely under the radar here).  They were saying on Five Live that Simon could hardly walk into his press conference today but that he will still try to play. To be fair to him it's not just a question of fitness but also injury I think but I agree his reaction does suggest he lacks the fitness of the top players.
On the Eurosport comms: watched the rest of yesterday's match that I'd recorded yesterday evening and they were getting me increasingly irritated.  They never miss an opportunity to have a little dig at Andy, punctuated occasionally by acknowledgement of his brilliance.  I don't hear them talk about other players like that.   It's very clear they don't like Andy - not 'one of us' you feel for the old guard comms.  What really got me mad was when they had a little joke about how he'd finally served faster than Serena.  Well I seem to remember the likes of Johnnie Mac had advised Andy to go for less speed and more accuracy and it seems to be paying off as a tactic as his first serves were excellent yesterday (as they needed to be as his 2nd serves seem to have gone backwards just now).
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #76 on: January 20, 2013, 08:25 AM »

Simon said he didn't go to the hospital as rumoured, just had treatment at the arena.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2265322/Australian-Open-2013-Gilles-Simon-confirms-fit-face-Andy-Murray.html

The weather wasn't anything special yesterday, so even though it was a long, tough game, with some long rallies, there's no reason why he should be physically wrecked.  Especially as some of that game length was all of the faffing around associated with calling trainers etc.  At one point, he got the umpire to get him a chocolate bar, apparently because he'd not had dinner, which is quite bizarre.

Whatever the case, he says he plans to play tomorrow and will give it his best shot.  If you've had severe cramps, it's very tiring, but then Andy managed to play on for a few more rounds after having back spasms in the second round at the French, which would have been similarly exhausting.  A big difference would be that Andy was scheduled to meet players who he should easily beat if well, so that helped psychologically, but it would be a mistake to presume Simon can't recover to reasonable shape.

I too am slightly concerned by the lack of night matches.   I don't like to get ahead of myself, but Andy did come with the intention of winning the whole thing, which will require competitive matches at night against players who have had more night match practice.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #77 on: January 20, 2013, 09:04 AM »

I guess it was inevitable that Andy wouldn't get the night match as they have to assume Simon might pull out or retire early in the match and they can't risk that with the night match.  But it means Fed will have had every match at night, which gives him an advantage if the SF is played at night as he'll be so used to the night conditions (unless of course Raonic puts him out - I have no idea how Raonic is playing as seems to be completely under the radar here).  They were saying on Five Live that Simon could hardly walk into his press conference today but that he will still try to play. To be fair to him it's not just a question of fitness but also injury I think but I agree his reaction does suggest he lacks the fitness of the top players.
Andy v Simon are scheduled for 7 pm local time, at present. He's due a nigth match for sure. It a big pity for Simon to even start a match when he's clearly carrying an injury and utterly knackered, but I understand he want to play, even though he must dread facing Murray.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #78 on: January 20, 2013, 09:09 AM »

Sorry to bring bad tidings...but Berdych is through in 3 straight against Kevin Anderson. Rolling Eyes
 David Ferrer beat Kei Nishikori today, I like them both, so am both sad and happy for David. clap
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #79 on: January 20, 2013, 09:12 AM »

I'm glad Berych is through, need somebody to give Djokovic a little bit of a run for his money. And if not, it will fun to watch Djokovic annihilate him.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #80 on: January 20, 2013, 09:30 AM »

This match feels like a night match. A few reasons; one, Andy has yet to play a night match. Two, they probably thought Del Potro was going to make the qtr and that probably they had in mind to have it as a night match but that didn't work out. Third, Simon needs time to recover. Of course, he may as retire before then.

Almost spot on EJ. 6am UK time tomorrow, so presumably the last match of the day session. I'm sure it is to give Simon time to recover, which I think is fair enough.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #81 on: January 20, 2013, 09:37 AM »

Great time, I wake up then so I will be sure to watch two hours of the match.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #82 on: January 20, 2013, 09:37 AM »

I'm glad Berych is through, need somebody to give Djokovic a little bit of a run for his money. And if not, it will fun to watch Djokovic annihilate him.
  If anyone can knock Djoko out of it now it would be Berdych. Anyone up for an Andy/Berdych final?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #83 on: January 20, 2013, 10:45 AM »

No-one watching Nole vs Wawa atm? Down a set and a break Eyebrow raise.

wave Hi everyone. Back at hotel packing for early start tomorrow. Hope to be home in time for Andy's match.

cmonandy If Wawa is gonna knock Nole out it best not be to some other player's advantage!
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #84 on: January 20, 2013, 11:05 AM »

They have some of the worst monotonous commentary ever, could do with a master class from commentator extraordinaire-Mark Petchey!!!!
I'll second that!!!!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #85 on: January 20, 2013, 11:42 AM »

If anyone can knock Djoko out of it now it would be Berdych. Anyone up for an Andy/Berdych final?

But Berdych hasn't got a great record against Djokovic. Mind you, he has knocked him out of majors hasn't he?

I can't warm to Berdych, so the idea of Andy beating him in a major final does have some appeal lol.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #86 on: January 20, 2013, 12:50 PM »

Sorry to bring bad tidings...but Berdych is through in 3 straight against Kevin Anderson. Rolling Eyes
 David Ferrer beat Kei Nishikori today, I like them both, so am both sad and happy for David. clap
I'm pleased to see Ferrer through too, but after being dominated by Ferrer in the first two sets, Nishi put up a great fight in the 3rd, despite the fact that the knee he recently injured had started giving him a lot of pain.

Almost spot on EJ. 6am UK time tomorrow, so presumably the last match of the day session. I'm sure it is to give Simon time to recover, which I think is fair enough.
I admire Simon's grit and determination.  Cramping like that must be horrible.

ALERT - By the way, it says in the match schedule that this match won't be on before 5 pm local time (6 am GMT), but that doesn't mean that it'll necessarily start then.  It could be later depending on how long the earlier matches last.  Also Chardy suffered a knee injury in his doubles match against the Bryan bros, so there's a possibility that he could withdraw - and in that case Andy's match might be brought forward.  

[ Last edit by Aileen January 20, 2013, 01:37 PM ] IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #87 on: January 20, 2013, 12:52 PM »

I've voted for Murray to win in 3 but I would prefer Simon to withdraw. With Federer getting yet another night match,at least this other option would be something in Murrays favour.
 I also hope that Federer will get knocked out by Chardy in 5 sets which would tire Chardy out before he meets Murray.
 It is these kind of thoughts which are helping me cope with the UK's vile weather!
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #88 on: January 20, 2013, 12:58 PM »

I've voted for Murray to win in 3 but I would prefer Simon to withdraw. With Federer getting yet another night match,at least this other option would be something in Murrays favour.
 I also hope that Federer will get knocked out by Chardy in 5 sets which would tire Chardy out before he meets Murray.
 It is these kind of thoughts which are helping me cope with the UK's vile weather!
Federer can only meet Chardy if Chardy knocks out Andy first!! It is Andy that is seeded to meet Chardy or Seppi in the next round. Meanwhile Federer could meet Tsonga in the next round.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 R4: Murray [3] vs Simon [14] « Reply #89 on: January 20, 2013, 01:01 PM »

Meantime Wawa is on fire against Djokovic, having just taken the 4th set 7-5 in the TB to take the match to a 5th.  The crowd are going wild!  Could this be the upset of the tournament?  And Wawa has just broken Djoko in the first game of the 5th. shocking
[ Last edit by Aileen January 20, 2013, 01:06 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 32 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »