Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday night, Est. time - 1:30am BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: The all important result.
Andy in 3 - 14 (25.5%)
Andy in 4 - 30 (54.5%)
Andy in 5 - 6 (10.9%)
FedBox in 3 - 1 (1.8%)
FedBox in 4 - 3 (5.5%)
FedBox in 5 - 1 (1.8%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 112 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer

(Read 18085 times)
madabouttheboy
Junior

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #120 on: January 24, 2013, 12:31 PM »

I didn't see the match today but really expected Ferrer to do better than the score suggested. Didn't he play well or was Djokovic just too good?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #121 on: January 24, 2013, 12:33 PM »

^ Both.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #122 on: January 24, 2013, 12:58 PM »

blimey fedlover Wade tips Andy to win as does Greg R who is v positive about Andy these days.

Really? Wow, I didn't hear her say that. I turned off after the match. Blimey, that's actually quite remarkable!

I have to hand it to Greg R, he has seemed to back Andy all through the tournament. He even seemed to play down the suggestions that Andy's form has been off at times, saying he was playing well. The interesting thing is that he picked Andy to win the AO at the beginning of the tournament, and doesn't appear to have wavered. Fingers crossed he is right. For once I would love it.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #123 on: January 24, 2013, 01:31 PM »

I notice that Fed is already getting his excuse for losing to Andy ready, lower back pain, seemingly he was late coming for his Press Interview because of a long ice bath and massage,as he was suffering from lower back pain. So Prince Puff Ball has his niggle all lined up! Whistle
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #124 on: January 24, 2013, 01:42 PM »

I notice that Fed is already getting his excuse for losing to Andy ready, lower back pain, seemingly he was late coming for his Press Interview because of a long ice bath and massage,as he was suffering from lower back pain. So Prince Puff Ball has his niggle all lined up! Whistle

Part of me thinks that Federer should pull out if his back is that bad (well, he is an old man, 'bless' him) but I'd much rather see Andy beat him.

Just read an article, admittedly in the Mail online, where he is playing head games too. Some things never change.
IP Logged
Jade Fox

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #125 on: January 24, 2013, 01:48 PM »

He is getting older and time catches up to everyone.  Of course given his history of antagonism to Andy I wouldn't be surprised if this is all just a ruse.

I actually feel confident for Andy's chances in this match as long as he manages his nerves well.  I'm American so I follow the NFL closely and there's a saying in it that goes, "Act like you've been there before."  He should take this statement to heart.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #126 on: January 24, 2013, 02:47 PM »

lol  Home in time to see first set then shopping and back into to watch end, then rewind to watch from 2nd set again Very Happy
I said on the match thread that I thought you'd probably be shoving old ladies out of the way at the checkout to get back in time. Very Happy
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #127 on: January 24, 2013, 02:50 PM »

But Andy still gets 48 hrs rest before the final on Sunday night should he get passed Federer. Which is plenty recovery time for these young bucks!
Yeah.. no worries on the fitness/recovery time for Andy.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #128 on: January 24, 2013, 02:54 PM »

My gut feeling is that Andy will win decisively.  Whether that means 3 sets or 4 I can't say. And I still have that odd hunch that Djokovic won't make the final. But who knows, I may just be fantasising.

Nole is in the final so obviously that gut feeling was wrong but I feel we are getting totally lost with this gut feeling stuff. A gut feeling is when a person with least information available can go beyond time, where he/she can perceive things that had already happened and fetches that information from there and tell us. That’s your typical original gut feeling and the initial gut feeling is always accurate. It doesn’t happen in successions and it doesn’t change its mind, because the feeling is already based on an event that had already happened. It’s like when you know totally out of the blue that something is about to go wrong even when everything seems right and perfect. There are many instances of gut feelings.

To say that Andy’s going to win decisively at this point is really not a gut feeling when we have so much information available and when most are predicting a Murray win over Federer. This is all based on how these two have fared so far and who’s fresher of the two etc. Your brain have already calculated all this for you and sent you the final outcome, so this is more like a reasonable deduction based on the information available by the brain.

Similarly, when the draws came out, your brain already started doing all sorts of calculations without you even knowing it, but you already had these information available, so it could do those calculations and you don’t even need to be aware of it. Give this same draw to someone who has no idea about tennis and its players, he/she will have no clue because they have no information available; however, they may just get a gut feeling just by looking at the names. If you were to say before the tournament, before the draws that you know without a shadow of a doubt (since it’s an event that had already happened) who’s going to win the tournament based on some mere ‘feeling’, then I’d call it a gut feeling. But people often mix it up with reasonable deductions.

In short, if your gut feeling is wrong then it probably wasn't a gut feeling to begin with.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean January 24, 2013, 03:04 PM ] IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #129 on: January 24, 2013, 03:08 PM »

It feels like it's definitely time for Andy to get a win over Federer in a slam. And the conditions in Melbourne suit his game so much more in this matchup than they suit Fed. If you look at their head-to-head, nearly all the wins Fed has over Andy are in quicker conditions (with the exception of course being here three years ago...)

I'd never count Fed out though - he's more than capable of having a day where everything works for him and is able to hit winners from all over the court. If that happens so be it but I just want Andy to perform to the best of his ability, like he did in the Wimbledon final. I think he will - the nerves from not having won a slam are gone now so he should be able to relax on court and play freely.

I always enjoy their matches - nice contrast of styles. I think Andy having won a slam has had an effect on my nerves as I'm very calm about this match - hopefully a good omen!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #130 on: January 24, 2013, 03:17 PM »

I've always enjoyed their matches too, although I must admit since Andy's won his Slam I appreciate watching so much more because my nerves have abated substantially, and now I can really enjoy him rather than be terrified of yet another devastating Slam disappointment for him.
I was so worried he would lose heart and pack it in, which he's since admitted he had thought of.

So, no matter what, I trust Andy to bring his 'A' game and I will enjoy the match.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #131 on: January 24, 2013, 03:27 PM »

Murray vs Federer is undoubtedly one of the best match-ups out there. In fact, I’ll go as far as the best. You just have that perfect combination of style, contrast, point constructions, proper defense and offence (nothing over the top or excessive), the perfect match length etc. Never too long or too short. Of course you need to discount all those one sided Slam H2Hs because they don’t tell the whole story.

I hope it’s a good one and Andy comes on top with a convincing victory. It’s definitely the time for Andy to finally put Federer behind and get a Slam win over him. He needs to do it anyway. As I said, this is more important for me to the point that I am willing to compromise a final win. The reason being and I hope I am wrong, once Andy seals that victory over Federer after all these years, he’ll be a bit of it and may not find himself in the final as focused. Of course his pressure to win a Slam was far bigger than this but this has a 2nd place to it, so it’s very important. Tsonga, Berdych, Soderling, Del Potro have all done it and it just doesn’t feel right that our Andy, a far superior player, has yet to do it. So yes, it’s definitely time.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #132 on: January 24, 2013, 03:52 PM »

It would be a nice piece of tennis history if Andy won the Aus open....becoming 1st player to follow their 1st major win with back to back major titles. So it wouldnt be a case of only ' 1st man in british history' ...it would be ' 1st in world history'.

Anyway thats a long way off right now.....Fed will be a major obstacle....Andy needs to beat Fed in a slam to remove that doubt. I hope he does it...i just wouldnt bet on it.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #133 on: January 24, 2013, 03:59 PM »

Nole is in the final so obviously that gut feeling was wrong but I feel we are getting totally lost with this gut feeling stuff. A gut feeling is when a person with least information available can go beyond time, where he/she can perceive things that had already happened and fetches that information from there and tell us. That’s your typical original gut feeling and the initial gut feeling is always accurate. It doesn’t happen in successions and it doesn’t change its mind, because the feeling is already based on an event that had already happened. It’s like when you know totally out of the blue that something is about to go wrong even when everything seems right and perfect. There are many instances of gut feelings.

To say that Andy’s going to win decisively at this point is really not a gut feeling when we have so much information available and when most are predicting a Murray win over Federer. This is all based on how these two have fared so far and who’s fresher of the two etc. Your brain have already calculated all this for you and sent you the final outcome, so this is more like a reasonable deduction based on the information available by the brain.

Similarly, when the draws came out, your brain already started doing all sorts of calculations without you even knowing it, but you already had these information available, so it could do those calculations and you don’t even need to be aware of it. Give this same draw to someone who has no idea about tennis and its players, he/she will have no clue because they have no information available; however, they may just get a gut feeling just by looking at the names. If you were to say before the tournament, before the draws that you know without a shadow of a doubt (since it’s an event that had already happened) who’s going to win the tournament based on some mere ‘feeling’, then I’d call it a gut feeling. But people often mix it up with reasonable deductions.

In short, if your gut feeling is wrong then it probably wasn't a gut feeling to begin with.

I enjoy these semantic debates, Imogen!  I do associate gut feelings with conscious and sub-conscious deduction, they can't be anything other in my opinion, or they become mere wishful thinking and hopeful expectation; certainly not time-travel.  After all no-one can definitely predict a chance event before it happens, particularly when the odds are fairly tight. And I didn't say I had a gut feeling about Nole, it was just a sense of the real possibility of an upset I guess, probably derived initially from the  Wawrinka match, and a general perception of the levels of Djokovics focus.  I sense this is the wrong thread for this sort of discussion though, interesting as it is.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #134 on: January 24, 2013, 04:01 PM »

I've always enjoyed their matches too, although I must admit since Andy's won his Slam I appreciate watching so much more because my nerves have abated substantially, and now I can really enjoy him rather than be terrified of yet another devastating Slam disappointment for him.
I was so worried he would lose heart and pack it in, which he's since admitted he had thought of.

So, no matter what, I trust Andy to bring his 'A' game and I will enjoy the match.

Good posting!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 112 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »