Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: The all important result.
Andy in 3 - 14 (25.5%)
Andy in 4 - 30 (54.5%)
Andy in 5 - 6 (10.9%)
FedBox in 3 - 1 (1.8%)
FedBox in 4 - 3 (5.5%)
FedBox in 5 - 1 (1.8%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 112 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer

(Read 18510 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #75 on: January 23, 2013, 09:19 PM »

Is it too early yet to start taking bets on how quickly Federer starts looking for signs of rain during the match, or when he dishes out the first insult to the umpire?

Also, do we want Carlos Ramos in the chair, like at the Olympic final, or Wayne Thingy (I can never remember his name!) as in the USO final. I'm thinking Wayne, because he did the Olympic semi too, and this is a semi, although he'll need to be on the ball.

Wasn't Jake Garner the USO umpire?

This match could go either way. I mean Federer never plays badly, he sometimes meets a superior in Andy, Novak and Rafa. He can beat anyone else on any given day.

It'll all be down to Andy, if he can play his VERY best, aggressive tennis. Fedface is almost as fresh as a daisy, like Andy. Good thing Jo-Wilfried made him sweat for 5 sets, but he'll be well recovered by Friday.

I am off on Friday, so I can watch it Very Happy Yeahhh

I disagree that never plays badly - but it is definitely very rare. He is very consistent and whilst he definitely has the ability to step it up (like at Wimbledon), a lot of it also comes down to how well Andy (or Novak or Rafa or Tsonga or Berdych) are playing on the day,
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #76 on: January 23, 2013, 09:21 PM »

Is this the first time these two have met in a Slam outside the final?

Also, how does today's 3 and a half hour match compare to Federer's Olympic semi-final?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #77 on: January 23, 2013, 09:32 PM »

Re the weather forecast - thunderbolts and lightning were forecast, but there appears to be an update now with more favourable conditions.

* Melbourn Weather.JPG (64.64 KB, 730x560 - viewed 332 times.)
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #78 on: January 23, 2013, 09:34 PM »

Wind looks encouraging at 27 km/h
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #79 on: January 23, 2013, 09:39 PM »

I am actually expecting Murray to win, in a maximum of 4 sets, i think he'll be too solid and at times spectacular for Federer.

If Fed won it wouldn't be suprising obviously seeing as he is the GOAT but right now on an Outdoor HC I think the sheer consistency of Murray will wear him down. Lets face it Murray and Djokovic are basically walls out there on HC like Nadal is on clay. Fed needs to roll back the years on this one, if he's to win here.
IP Logged
marg
Junior

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #80 on: January 23, 2013, 09:58 PM »

I have Andy to go to 5 sets but I do not care how he wins as long as he wins. Thought Fedfaceooked tired and stressed last night. Where has this cheesy interview technique come from?  Fedface looks and sounds ridiculous. Come on Andy prayers to the usual suspects and additional prayers for Ross
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #81 on: January 23, 2013, 09:58 PM »

thanks for the good weather news Bev - and looks like could still be pretty warm in the evening, which might help counteract the advantage smugfed will have, having played all those night matches
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #82 on: January 23, 2013, 10:02 PM »

Posted by The Mad Hatter: [/quote] I disagree that never plays badly - but it is definitely very rare. He is very consistent and whilst he definitely has the ability to step it up (like at Wimbledon), a lot of it also comes down to how well Andy (or Novak or Rafa or Tsonga or Berdych) are playing on the day. [/quote]

Of course, you're right. Never is too absolute, rarely is better!
Neither does RF go AWOL during matches, though he can go through a bad patch.
Andy still seems to have these dips in the middle of a match, or get off to a bad start (less so these days), but it will be a battle for sure! Andy should be able to outlast Roger in a 5 setter, but he mustnt get behind in points. nervous

We'll be treated to a match to remember, whosoever wins. yay
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #83 on: January 23, 2013, 10:05 PM »

Wind looks encouraging at 27 km/h

Jeez that pretty breezy! Jim Courier will have to glue on his hair-piece.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #84 on: January 23, 2013, 10:06 PM »

Jeez that pretty breezy! Jim Courier will have to glue on his hair-piece.
Naughty :P lol
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #85 on: January 23, 2013, 10:07 PM »

I have just sent a complaint to the AO website.You can submit comments etc on your iPad. My complaint was about Andy not having played a night match, and how everything possible is done to favor Federer. I made a point of saying that they do realise that Federer will retire eventually heaven help them. And what in the hell will they do then
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #86 on: January 23, 2013, 10:10 PM »

Re the weather forecast - thunderbolts and lightning were forecast, but there appears to be an update now with more favourable conditions.
Bev, have you only just got back from the supermarket after your big shop earlier?
Last time I saw a post was about 6 am, my time!  lol

You didnt get to do the H2H either, you have got some competition there, girl!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #87 on: January 23, 2013, 10:22 PM »

Yeah, Bev should have done the H2H and I should have done the thread. It's procedure now! Get lost Laundry.
IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #88 on: January 23, 2013, 11:20 PM »

I'm not making a prediction. Andy's first serve and movement are superb, but his second serve and backhand are severely lacking at the moment. 29% of second serve points won against Chardy is worrying. Another positive though is Andy's match play: no sets dropped despite not being at his best, and he took most of his break points in his last match. He looks so canny in this tournament.

The only scoreline that I think WONT happen is Federer in three. Aside from that, I have no idea what is going to happen.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #89 on: January 23, 2013, 11:42 PM »

I'm not making a prediction. Andy's first serve and movement are superb, but his second serve and backhand are severely lacking at the moment. 29% of second serve points won against Chardy is worrying. Another positive though is Andy's match play: no sets dropped despite not being at his best, and he took most of his break points in his last match. He looks so canny in this tournament.

The only scoreline that I think WONT happen is Federer in three. Aside from that, I have no idea what is going to happen.

Yeah the stats arent that great....i agree...and whilst i thought Andy upped his performance...i felt there was some gaping holes such as what you mentioned.
I feel that Murray ,however, has changed his mindset ....rather than focus on sustaining great tennis stats...he is intelligently selecting what are the 'big' points and increasing his intensity for those. It was very effective at the US open and his performances thus far seem parallel to those.

Prior to the QFs I felt Andy , if he reached the SF stage would struggle against Fed. Now I sense it going 1 of 2 ways.  A Fed 4 set win...or Andy reaches a level of intensity and skill that not only he hasnt shown ..but nobody else has either...and wins 3 straight.

I genuinly beleive Andy can reach a level of play that nobody has ....Fed in his prime included. It may be shown in the next few days.....but it may be at wimbledon...but its coming i reckon.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 112 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »