Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: The all important result.
Andy in 3 - 14 (25.5%)
Andy in 4 - 30 (54.5%)
Andy in 5 - 6 (10.9%)
FedBox in 3 - 1 (1.8%)
FedBox in 4 - 3 (5.5%)
FedBox in 5 - 1 (1.8%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer  (Read 15346 times)
frewbuddie

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1635 on: January 26, 2013, 11:23 AM »

Congrats Andy on your first GS win against Fed, feeling a bit tender this morning out celebrating.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1636 on: January 26, 2013, 12:07 PM »

It was a really well deserved win.  It shouldn't have been surprising, as Andy had the lead in the H2H, plus the most recent big match at the Olympics, but people (Fed fans especially) placed so much on the slam H2H that the casual fan would be forgiven for thinking Andy was routinely beaten by him all of the time.

Another thing I've noticed is that when Andy does beat Fed, people say that Federer wasn't playing his best.  Some of that is the usual excuses you expect after any top player loses, but beyond that, Andy has always been able to neutralise Fed's weapons and cause him headaches.  I think it took a while for commentators, and even Federer himself to realise that the root of his "poor play" was his opponent.

They always list unforced errors in the stats, but IMO, most errors are forced to a certain extent.  Knowing you really must go for that shot, or that your opponent has the court well covered, or being put under pressure is often at the root of it.  At the Shanghai semi-final last year, Andy wasn't returning well because Federer was serving badly.  Fed seemed to serve badly because Andy was serving well, and it was that pressure on his serve that led to the triple-double-fault!
IP Logged
frewbuddie

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1637 on: January 26, 2013, 12:50 PM »

It was a really well deserved win.  It shouldn't have been surprising, as Andy had the lead in the H2H, plus the most recent big match at the Olympics, but people (Fed fans especially) placed so much on the slam H2H that the casual fan would be forgiven for thinking Andy was routinely beaten by him all of the time.

Another thing I've noticed is that when Andy does beat Fed, people say that Federer wasn't playing his best.  Some of that is the usual excuses you expect after any top player loses, but beyond that, Andy has always been able to neutralise Fed's weapons and cause him headaches.  I think it took a while for commentators, and even Federer himself to realise that the root of his "poor play" was his opponent.

They always list unforced errors in the stats, but IMO, most errors are forced to a certain extent.  Knowing you really must go for that shot, or that your opponent has the court well covered, or being put under pressure is often at the root of it.  At the Shanghai semi-final last year, Andy wasn't returning well because Federer was serving badly.  Fed seemed to serve badly because Andy was serving well, and it was that pressure on his serve that led to the triple-double-fault!

Agree Sparkle the pressure Andy put on Feds serve was immense he really got into his head, he is not used to being under that kind of pressure as was noticeable by how riled he got.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1638 on: January 26, 2013, 02:02 PM »

Just watched the match on bbc iplayer. I was at work yesterday and could not watch. Andy looked in control almost all the time. Federer had much difficulty trying to break Andy and when he did in 2nd and 4th Andy was able to break back almost at will. If Andy was not so rusty in the TBs it would have been over sooner. But give RF his due he was playing at the top of his game. When Andy was serving for the match in the 4th at 6-5, Andy did not choke, RF raised his game and played some great tennis to take the break. But Andy did not look under threat to me and for once RF knew it as well!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1639 on: January 26, 2013, 03:42 PM »

rogerfeder.com are now blaming the EASY draw that murray had and the nightmare draw federer had

i cant read any more of their posts cause it is sickly how much they exclaim their undying love for the man.

one also says that federer is past his prime, i personally think that federer has never been a better player than he is now, the only reason he is not no1 anymore is cause there are players to challenge him in this era whereas in his 'time' there was noone
Aww poor diddums ... Rolling Eyes  Maybe they also forgot that Fed played most of his matches in the evening (no surprise there) whereas Murray had to play two of his in the blistering heat of the mid-day sun.

Well at least the world has now seen what an absolute **** Federer really is, and if his adoring fans can't then I think they need a little help from a psychologist. 
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1640 on: January 26, 2013, 03:59 PM »

Some comms are saying Fed Said " You f**cking stopped"  i.e momentarily hesitated so Fed was expecting a challenge.  Makes more sense.  Interesting tactic anyhow!

It was a leading event. Andy had already challenged 3 calls where he was wrong on all accounts. The 4th time Andy was about to challenge he was told by the umpire that he was out of challenges. On that fifth notorious occasion when Andy hesitated again to play the point, Federer was beyond his temper by that time and snapped. So he either said, 'f**king stop it' as in stop challenging or 'you f**king stopped' - Andy stopped playing but then decided to play anyway quickly remembering he had no challenges left. Andy could hear him because after hitting the passing shot he was very close to Federer.

Anyway, it was the 4th set and Federer was on the verge of losing the set and the match. So tensions/emotions were running very high and they were both very much into that moment. But it still doesn't excuse Federer's behaviour given that he himself has done it in the past, when he challenged many calls eventually running out of those. I guess what pissed him off was the fact that, Andy hesitated to play the point when he wasn't supposed to and it confused Federer and he ended up losing the point. Not that he was going to win the point anyway as he left both sides open, but he probably thought it would have been fair to him had Andy either completely stopped playing the point or just played the point without stopping/hesitating.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean January 26, 2013, 04:11 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1641 on: January 26, 2013, 04:09 PM »

The reason why Federer was unable to serve a high level is not because he was having a 'off' day at work serving-wise, but the fact that, Andy is a world class returner and it puts a lot of pressure on the server. So Federer was serving with much cautious which compromised his serving ability so he was playing safe with the serves. He is just as cautious against Berdych and Nole as well. While Berdych can't capitalize the 1st serve as much, he pretty much eats Federer's 2nd serve up. Both Andy and Nole can go after both, so obviously Federer can't serve as well against them. Federer's serve is never to Sampras level so it worries him when he faces a great returner like Andy or Nole and to a lesser extent Berdych. Against Nadal, his problem lies with his somewhat weak and errorprone backhand. He typically serves well against Nadal.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean January 26, 2013, 04:30 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1642 on: January 26, 2013, 04:12 PM »

^ Thanks for the account of what happened EJ.  I did watch the match on TV but wasn't sure exactly what happened at that point, and I don't recall the BBC comms saying anything about it other than the fact that Andy had run out of challenges - which seems strange given how squeamish they usually are when Andy swears. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1643 on: January 26, 2013, 04:19 PM »

^ Thanks for the account of what happened EJ.  I did watch the match on TV but wasn't sure exactly what happened at that point, and I don't recall the BBC comms saying anything about it other than the fact that Andy had run out of challenges - which seems strange given how squeamish they usually are when Andy swears. Rolling Eyes

The comms didn't seem to know what Smugfed was getting worked up about. Usually if it is something obvious they make an issue out of it. They sort of apologised for Federer's language, but in a dismissive way.

Personally I wasn't bothered about Smugfed's swearing. I think it was quite funny, to be honest, that Andy reduced him to that. He looked like he was starting to panic. Federer that is. The only thing that got right up my nose is that if Andy swore like that he would probably get a warning, but Federer didn't. The thing is, when Andy swears it is aimed at no one but himself. Federer was swearing at his opponent.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1644 on: January 26, 2013, 04:28 PM »

Federer was at the net and Andy was at the baseline so Federer could see what Andy was up to and he saw Andy hesitating a bit. It happened within a fraction of a second, so even for the Comms, I'd say, it was a very hard read. But Andy had ran out of challenges by then and he was even told about it just prior. But Andy kept forgetting that he had no challenges remained. He was just zoning so wasn't exactly keeping track of challenges. This has happened to him before but obviously the matches were never at this high stake. It was a very important win for both. Federer still wanted to remain on top of Andy in GSs and Andy wanted to put his demon behind him once and for all. It was a very emotional match for both.

At the end of the match, at the handshake in particular, Federer seemed sorry for his behaviour but as I've mentioned already, Andy was still recovering from this incident which had taken him by surprise and he was taken aback, so he looked distant. But I think he forgave him later.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1645 on: January 26, 2013, 04:29 PM »

At the end of the match, at the handshake in particular, Federer seemed sorry for his behaviour but as I've mentioned already, Andy was still recovering from this incident which had taken him by surprise and he was taken aback, so he looked distant. But I think he forgave him later.

I agree with that, Marilyn Wink
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1646 on: January 26, 2013, 04:31 PM »

I agree with that, Marilyn Wink

Shut up. You have another thing coming. Just you wait. :p
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1647 on: January 26, 2013, 04:32 PM »

Shut up. You have another thing coming. Just you wait. :p

Who's next? Angelina Jolie? lol
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1648 on: January 26, 2013, 04:33 PM »

Who's next? Angelina Jolie? lol

You'll see. I am on to it. lol
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1649 on: January 26, 2013, 04:34 PM »

You'll see. I am on to it. lol

I'm waiting for it. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »