Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Monday, LIVE - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: The all important result.
Andy in 3 - 14 (25.5%)
Andy in 4 - 30 (54.5%)
Andy in 5 - 6 (10.9%)
FedBox in 3 - 1 (1.8%)
FedBox in 4 - 3 (5.5%)
FedBox in 5 - 1 (1.8%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 [111] 112 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer

(Read 17951 times)
Elena
Seed

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1650 on: January 26, 2013, 04:45 PM »

^ Thanks for the account of what happened EJ.  I did watch the match on TV but wasn't sure exactly what happened at that point, and I don't recall the BBC comms saying anything about it other than the fact that Andy had run out of challenges - which seems strange given how squeamish they usually are when Andy swears. Rolling Eyes

I've watched back on IPlayer and on EuroSport Player. At 6-5 Andy is about to serve for the first point, but Fed asks him to wait - crowd to settle perhaps, comms weren't sure. Then there's a rally which Andy wins with a forehand pass. Then Fed says his thing and Andy does his look.

Andrew Castle (BBC) - I'm not sure what that exchange was about.
Matts Willander (EuroSport) Federer said something to Andy.

Didn't see any hesitating, and the comms didn't know what happened. No apologies for any swearing at that point, though there had been earlier (for Fed!).

Only comment here was on this thread page 79 "Lol what was that about?" from Becky!
[ Last edit by Elena January 26, 2013, 04:48 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1651 on: January 26, 2013, 04:49 PM »

The microphones are closer to the stands so I don't think they really picked it up. I certainly didn't hear anything anyway. It's only when they're getting their towels it's often picked up (although hardly coherently) before the comms feel the need to apologise when no-one could really make out what they said anyway.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1652 on: January 26, 2013, 05:47 PM »

I've watched back on IPlayer and on EuroSport Player. At 6-5 Andy is about to serve for the first point, but Fed asks him to wait - crowd to settle perhaps, comms weren't sure. Then there's a rally which Andy wins with a forehand pass. Then Fed says his thing and Andy does his look.

Didn't see any hesitating, and the comms didn't know what happened. No apologies for any swearing at that point, though there had been earlier (for Fed!).

Only comment here was on this thread page 79 "Lol what was that about?" from Becky!

I heard Andrew Castle say something about "showing respect to opponents" but I thought he was referring to the face that Andy pulled.    As he had said he wasn't sure what the exchange was about I was annoyed because I thought he was criticising Andy.   It all passed over so quickly I didn't know what it was all about.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1653 on: January 26, 2013, 06:34 PM »

There were a few people still on the move when Andy was about to serve and they were behind Andy, so he didn't have any way to know about it but Federer saw it and he told Andy to wait and he did. Patrick McEnroe at that point  made a comment about the crowd as to how they were still taking their time to settle down. Then came the point which caused Federer to snap. Our Comms sort of knew because the camera was focusing on that particular moment in slow motion and both went like 'hmmm'. You could tell that both knew what was said or at least the nature of the words. I first read it as 'f**k you' but when I went back to watch it again, it seemed more like either 'f**king stop it' or 'you f**king stopped'. Our Comms did not make any apologies on Federer's behalf neither did they talk about as to what caused that outburst.

If you watch that point again you will see that Andy did wait for the crowd to settle down. He waited a few seconds and was bouncing his ball. But it's entirely possible he did not wait as long as Federer had wanted him to wait but that does not explain the outburst.  
[ Last edit by Emma Jean January 26, 2013, 06:38 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1654 on: January 26, 2013, 06:51 PM »

I'm laughing at some of the comments at the end.  I've never heard of Andy being referred to as 'Fang' before, but can understand why!
IP Logged
Becky
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1655 on: January 26, 2013, 09:15 PM »

I only noticed it at the time because of Andy's facial expression that he pulled in response.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1656 on: January 26, 2013, 11:17 PM »

I only noticed it at the time because of Andy's facial expression that he pulled in response.
Same. Didn't see Federer's outburst until well after the match.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1657 on: February 03, 2013, 05:32 PM »

I was talking to someone at church today who was watching the semi. She knows I don't like Federer, and she came over to tell me how pleased she was that Andy won the semi. She said she was surprised by how petulant Federer was, said it made him look like a bad loser, and that he should have had a warning for his language. She said that she was really surprised by Federer's behaviour, that he really let the mask slip, especially in swearing at his opponent.

I resisted the temptation to say I told you so  Whistle.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1658 on: February 03, 2013, 06:29 PM »

Same. Didn't see Federer's outburst until well after the match.
I've yet to see a convincing VT of this exchange. Not that I doubt it happened, just that a lot of the hard evidence that must exist seems to have been suppressed.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1659 on: February 03, 2013, 08:00 PM »

I've yet to see a convincing VT of this exchange. Not that I doubt it happened, just that a lot of the hard evidence that must exist seems to have been suppressed.
It wouldn't surprise me if Fed's PR team have stepped in here.  After all, such behaviour is not worthy of a GOAT - and poor Mirka, when the camera focused on her briefly, looked decidedly uneasy.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1660 on: February 03, 2013, 09:52 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if Fed's PR team have stepped in here.  After all, such behaviour is not worthy of a GOAT - and poor Mirka, when the camera focused on her briefly, looked decidedly uneasy.
It would serve him a lot better if he'd just give up gracefully.  I think his record is safe - however, he didn't get to that stage without thinking he owned it.  Part of me can get where he is coming from - v hard to give it up.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1661 on: February 04, 2013, 08:43 AM »

I read on one of the tennis boards a few posters saying it was cut from the American repeat/delayed showing.  They quite probably edit various things out to make way for messages from sponsors, and because there was swearing and some folk get upset by that, but that bit was notable in its absence as everyone had been talking about it.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1662 on: February 04, 2013, 10:59 AM »

I watched it on the BBC Iplayer and they did not show the angle to see what Fed says but after viewing youtube he obviously does say something along the lines of "you f***ing stopped" but he also swore when Andy had a backhand winner "you're f***ing lucky" which Castle had to apologise for as it was quite audible, and he was also swearing and muttering to himself way more than i have ever previously seen him do, even the umpire got some stick.

Al in all a good day for Andy i feel making thread lose his cool like that, and although i usually destest frosty handshakes at the end of matches, i am glad Andy was sort of "whatever" about it.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1663 on: February 04, 2013, 11:08 AM »

I watched it on the BBC Iplayer and they did not show the angle to see what Fed says but after viewing youtube he obviously does say something along the lines of "you f***ing stopped" but he also swore when Andy had a backhand winner "you're f***ing lucky" which Castle had to apologise for as it was quite audible, and he was also swearing and muttering to himself way more than i have ever previously seen him do, even the umpire got some stick.

Al in all a good day for Andy i feel making thread lose his cool like that, and although i usually destest frosty handshakes at the end of matches, i am glad Andy was sort of "whatever" about it.

Looking back on it, it was the first time he swore that was audible. You're right, Castle did have to apologise, which made me smile, due to all the times they've apologised for Andy and made a meal out of it. It was that first one, in my book, he should have had a code violation for, because it was clear.

Oh, I think it was a good for Andy all around. He won, which is the most important thing, but he also got Federer into such a state that he showed himself up and let the mask slip. Brilliant stuff.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: AO 2013 SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1664 on: February 04, 2013, 04:36 PM »

Having watched this match again over the weekend Andy had full control over this match at all times. He should have done it in four sets, but never was he under threat from Federer. I think Federer knows that Andy now has the better of him in a slam. But Federer is still the 3rd best, at least until Nadal gets back to full strength! Roll on Wimbledon, I think Andy will be unstopable there, particularly if Federer is in Noles half!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 [111] 112 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »