Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Andrey Kuznetsov, Saturday, Estimated time - 5:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 18 Go Down Reply
Author

Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive?

(Read 4768 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « on: January 16, 2014, 07:38 PM »

Every time Andy has a match on Murraysworld, there's arguments over negativity etc. Lots of people are quick to jump on those who make negative comments like a pack of wild hounds. I think it's pretty unfair to give someone grief just because the way they are a sports fan means they are negative some times. I also find it rather sad that speaking the truth about something e.g. saying Lopez will be a test to Andy can wind someone up. I don't see the problem with a post like that? It's a fact that Lopez may well be a test for Andy, I mean just look at their last match where Andy was fully fit, it was not plain sailing. This might be a fan forum, but isn't the whole point of fan forums to discuss your opinions with other fans, opinions which might be different to other people and opinions which may be controversial? Like I've said before what fun would Murraysworld be if it was just everyone being positive and having the same opinion? Let me think?

Poster 1: "Oh Andy lost but he played a great match didn't he?"
Poster 2: "Indeed my dear, he'll be back stronger next time"
Poster 3: "I agree, Andy will be bounce back"

I don't know about you but for me it'd be pretty boring if MW was like that. Sports fan forums are for discussion and banter in my opinion. Rather than moaning at someone being negative, why not banter back with them? Isn't that what sports fans do. I really think some people are too sensitive over others comments on here. When I first joined boogers pissed me off a bit, but I've come to realise it's just his way of dealing with things as a fan, yet people continue to go on him. Is it his fault that it's in his DNA to be a pessimist rather than an optimist? I don't think so.

I just wish all this arguments in the match threads stopped  because they're being made every time and it's clear negative people are not going to stop.

Discuss...
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 07:42 PM »

I don't need to read all of this to agree with every word.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 07:55 PM »

Well you should read every word before you agree or disagree.   I have never seen a post reading   "Oh Andy lost but he played a great match didn't he".   "Indeed my dear" has never appeared either although "he'll be back stronger" could and, indeed, should.   Prod's argument would be stronger if he stuck to the facts but he's spinning.   Also if boogers and others are excused because their DNA predisposes their pessimism, the optimists can be similarly excused, thereby negating the whole premise of the argument.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:57 PM »

Well you should read every word before you agree or disagree.   I have never seen a post reading   "Oh Andy lost but he played a great match didn't he".   "Indeed my dear" has never appeared either although "he'll be back stronger" could and, indeed, should.   Prod's argument would be stronger if he stuck to the facts but he's spinning.   Also if boogers and others are excused because their DNA predisposes their pessimism, the optimists can be similarly excused, thereby negating the whole premise of the argument.

When did I say THAT ever happened.

My post implies that that is what some on MW want to happen.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 07:58 PM »

No problem with any of above, but gratuitous personal abuse is a sign of a juvenile mindset. We all lose the place at times, but writing on a public forum is a lot different from a personal blowout. Think before you post - that's my motto.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 07:59 PM »

No problem with any of above, but gratuitous personal abuse is a sign of a juvenile mindset. We all lose the place at times, but writing on a public forum is a lot different from a personal blowout. Think before you post - that's my motto.

Yes I agree Gangsta needs to cut that out.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 08:01 PM »

Yes I agree Gangsta needs to cut that out.

And as I said earlier this week, I am trying to become ponies and rainbows, but it is not easy when you are confronted for saying a match is mediocre when that is my opinion. But personal abuse from me is rare now, I say it how it is, thats how I am. I don't have a problem with people having a go at me about it, that is there right, but I don't appreciate being called negative etc. I bet 99% of this forum have their blood boil like mine at various comments, I'm not alone in this.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 08:08 PM »

I don't think it is about negativity per say. I have finally learnt to accept that things said in the heat of a match thread are best ignored.

What hacks me off however is when people are hypercritical, and don't consider the context.

"Lopez is likely to be a tougher test for Murray, and if he plays like he did in the first part of the third set today, he might well lose". I can't see anything wrong with that sort of statement.

I just find some of the language used offensive, and over the top.  Murray beating a player 6:2, 6:2, 7:5 is not a mediocre performance, (this is not specifically singling out Gangsta), His performance today might well have been about conserving energy. He potentially has a long way to go. He did what he needed to do, and he did it in straight sets.

Some people seem unable to consider the context of some of his loses. At the present time he is feeling his way back into playing a sport at the highest levels after surgery. He is a highly complex character, and today for example his "offness" might well have been linked to being worried about Jamie. It rarely seems to take much to throw him off kilter. That's the nature of Murray. Some of us feel that given his history and what he has achieved in spite of that history, he deserves a hell of a lot of slack.  Things are not always black and white.

This is meant to be a fan site, and as such some of the comments that are made are simply a bit over the top sometimes. I just think sometimes people need to remember that Mr M is a man, not a machine, and as such he is going to louse things up sometimes. He doesn't do it deliberately just to annoy us.

Critise by all means, but try to temper it with a dollop of tolerance and understanding as well.

My thoughts
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 08:10 PM »

When did I say THAT ever happened.

My post implies that that is what some on MW want to happen.

Then stop implying.    How do you know what people on MW want to happen?
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 08:15 PM »

I don't think it is about negativity per say. I have finally learnt to accept that things said in the heat of a match thread are best ignored.

What hacks me off however is when people are hypercritical, and don't consider the context.

"Lopez is likely to be a tougher test for Murray, and if he plays like he did in the first part of the third set today, he might well lose". I can't see anything wrong with that sort of statement.

I just find some of the language used offensive, and over the top.  Murray beating a player 6:2, 6:2, 7:5 is not a mediocre performance, (this is not specifically singling out Gangsta), His performance today might well have been about conserving energy. He potentially has a long way to go. He did what he needed to do, and he did it in straight sets.

Some people seem unable to consider the context of some of his loses. At the present time he is feeling his way back into playing a sport at the highest levels after surgery. He is a highly complex character, and today for example his "offness" might well have been linked to being worried about Jamie. It rarely seems to take much to throw him off kilter. That's the nature of Murray. Some of us feel that given his history and what he has achieved in spite of that history, he deserves a hell of a lot of slack.  Things are not always black and white.

This is meant to be a fan site, and as such some of the comments that are made are simply a bit over the top sometimes. I just think sometimes people need to remember that Mr M is a man, not a machine, and as such he is going to louse things up sometimes. He doesn't do it deliberately just to annoy us.

Critise by all means, but try to temper it with a dollop of tolerance and understanding as well.

My thoughts

I agree, and as you requested I changed mediocre to up and down. Personally I think every single one of us has played a part in what this site has become. It seems astronomically unlikely that I or whoever else is being singled out here by individuals is to blame for the substantial collapse in friendliness.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 08:18 PM »

I agree, and as you requested I changed mediocre to up and down. Personally I think every single one of us has played a part in what this site has become. It seems astronomically unlikely that I or whoever else is being singled out here by individuals is to blame for the substantial collapse in friendliness.

I appreciated you changing the word, and wasn't singling you out specifically I was just too lazy to look up another example.

Perhaps we all need to try to be a bit more tolerant of each other as well as Mr M, and I include myself in that.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 08:35 PM »

Then stop implying.    How do you know what people on MW want to happen?

That fact they lots of people post that they are annoyed about negativity suggests it.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 08:44 PM »

No it doesn't.    It means they are fed up with so much negativity.    I can only speak for myself but I like a good argument but I don't like a lot of negativity.

IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 08:46 PM »

Some sports fans are negative... just saying.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 08:57 PM »

No it doesn't.    It means they are fed up with so much negativity.    I can only speak for myself but I like a good argument but I don't like a lot of negativity.

Debate is healthy arguments aren't.  Do you mean debate?
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 18 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »