Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 18 Go Down Reply
Author

Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive?

(Read 4537 times)
Elena
Seed

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 09:08 PM »

I'm not a fan of the posts saying Andy's play was pathetic, disgraceful, embarrassing etc - but I've learnt to expect them from certain posters, and put up with them - or just leave the thread. They are at least during the heat of the match, whereas the endless posts complaining about negativity go on for hours/days and I'm now finding them more tiresome.

I'm not sure Andy needs people defending him all the time.
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 09:12 PM »

There's nothing wrong with stating one's opinion as long as you state it is your opinion.  But so many posts are just plain nasty when it comes to Andy.  None of us know what is going on in his mind or what he has been coached.  Not one of us could go out and play as well as Andy plays, and it's dead wrong to blast Andy because he is not playing the way you (meaning anyone) think he should.

I'm not saying this should be a vanilla forum where no one is unhappy with Andy's play, that would be sickening.  But can't we do constructive critcism?  I am sure people can do that because it seems like there are many tennis smart people in MW.  I also realize in the heat of a match it may be hard to stop and think before letting inappropriate words pop out in a post.  I know in my own case I always want to support Andy even though in my mind I am unhappy with double faults, hitting the net and before he stopped, yelling at his box. 
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 09:18 PM »

Debate is healthy arguments aren't.  Do you mean debate?

I call both a debate and an argument an exchange of views.    Enjoy them all.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 09:22 PM »

Some sports fans are negative... just saying.

And some are positive.    Is there room for us all?
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 09:22 PM »

The Aussies would be calling us whinging poms! We should all agree to disagree, tomorrow is another day ... And Andy is still in the tournie!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 09:29 PM »

And some are positive.    Is there room for us all?

Yes, as long as the ones who are positive stop moaning at the negative ones.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 09:32 PM »

And as long as the negative ones stop moaning about the positive ones.    Truce?
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 09:39 PM »

I'm not saying this should be a vanilla forum where no one is unhappy with Andy's play, that would be sickening.  But can't we do constructive critcism?  I am sure people can do that because it seems like there are many tennis smart people in MW.

Are we in a position to do constructive criticism though? Reading some of Andy's comments after today's match we get to see what he was dealing with. Millot was also dealing with the same situation obviously, though this was his 5th match here, and I'd imagine his game is probably less fine-tuned. And Andy gave him a lot more credit for some good play than some of the posters here who just seem to blame Andy for poor play. If someone of Andy's experience wasn't sure what to expect of the conditions, how can we - sitting in front of our TVs and computers?

ANDY MURRAY It changed the way the court and the balls played a lot.  It was heavier.  A lot of balls in the net today.  Slowed everything down a bit.  I just was glad to get off.  I'm still pouring with sweat just now.

Q.  Were you surprised when you went on court?  The humidity went up just before the match started.
ANDY MURRAY:  I was warming up outside just before the match.  Then, yeah, you feel it.  I mean, I knew it was going to be hot and humid out there.  I didn't realize how much it was going to change the conditions.

This post may seem to contradict my last post. I generally keep out of these arguments, but would be happy if both sides chilled a bit!

IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 09:55 PM »

Every time Andy has a match on Murraysworld, there's arguments over negativity etc. Lots of people are quick to jump on those who make negative comments like a pack of wild hounds. I think it's pretty unfair to give someone grief just because the way they are a sports fan means they are negative some times. I also find it rather sad that speaking the truth about something e.g. saying Lopez will be a test to Andy can wind someone up. I don't see the problem with a post like that? It's a fact that Lopez may well be a test for Andy, I mean just look at their last match where Andy was fully fit, it was not plain sailing. This might be a fan forum, but isn't the whole point of fan forums to discuss your opinions with other fans, opinions which might be different to other people and opinions which may be controversial? Like I've said before what fun would Murraysworld be if it was just everyone being positive and having the same opinion? Let me think?

Poster 1: "Oh Andy lost but he played a great match didn't he?"
Poster 2: "Indeed my dear, he'll be back stronger next time"
Poster 3: "I agree, Andy will be bounce back"

I don't know about you but for me it'd be pretty boring if MW was like that. Sports fan forums are for discussion and banter in my opinion. Rather than moaning at someone being negative, why not banter back with them? Isn't that what sports fans do. I really think some people are too sensitive over others comments on here. When I first joined boogers pissed me off a bit, but I've come to realise it's just his way of dealing with things as a fan, yet people continue to go on him. Is it his fault that it's in his DNA to be a pessimist rather than an optimist? I don't think so.

I just wish all this arguments in the match threads stopped  because they're being made every time and it's clear negative people are not going to stop.

Discuss...
Exactly. We have our differences of opinion and that's what makes it a discussion or a debate. Negativity must be tolerated on a forum like this. The subjective views of individuals, both positive and negative should be respected.

Having said that, I dont care much for derogatory personal abuse, but yeah - freedom of expression.
Its Murrays World, not North Korea.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 10:00 PM »

I just think most of the negative posts are absolutely clueless though, that's why a lot of them are annoying. Always making negatives posts like that also seems highly unappreciative of Andy as well, like you don't really value or understand him as a player.
[ Last edit by laundry January 16, 2014, 10:03 PM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 10:04 PM »

I just think most of the negative posts are absolutely clueless though, that's why a lot of them are annoying. Always making negatives posts like that also seems highly unappreciative of Andy as well, like you don't really value or understand him as a player.
People who don't value themselves as humans beings, can rarely value others that way. 
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 10:07 PM »

but would be happy if both sides chilled a bit!

Some chilling is desperately required.  Personally, I find the "negativity" very unattractive, and I worry that some people are too emotionally invested in how Andy plays to be objective.  It's as if it somehow reflects on them if he plays badly.   

We all want Andy to do well, but it can't always happen.  I think sometimes we've been fooled a bit by films, where all that's needed is for someone to come up with a brilliant idea, then for there to be a brief montage of them doing all the hard work to some catchy music, and before we've had a chance to get bored, they've done it!

Unfortunately, there are no montages in real life.  We've got to ride out the full duration of Andy's recovery from surgery, and none of us know how long that will be.  There will probably be a bit of two steps forward, then one back again, with no certainty of where the final destination will be.  The detours may be annoying, but they are all part of the journey.

IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 10:12 PM »

People who don't value themselves as humans beings, can rarely value others that way. 

Was that in reference to me?

I wouldn't say I'm negative, I'm probably neutral with my comments to Andy during matches etc, sometimes negative, sometimes positive.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 10:13 PM »

Its Murrays World, not North Korea.

Very Happy   Sometimes i wonder.  Perhaps we should have an emoticon for releasing the hounds?
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Are people on Murraysworld too sensitive? « Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 10:38 PM »

Was that in reference to me?

I wouldn't say I'm negative, I'm probably neutral with my comments to Andy during matches etc, sometimes negative, sometimes positive.

Actually no, Joe - it wasn't.  It was a general comment.  What makes me laugh, is here we are - a bunch of alleged adults, on a Forum, and all I can hear is people who shout the loudest, wanting to be heard.  Hurling insults back and forth, and hoping to score points - or being chummy, chummy when the mood suits.

Andy doesn't shout very loudly.  He goes about his business, quietly, and tries to be the best he can be, through sheer hard graft and determination. Sometimes his performances are not what we want?  Can you imagine how those bad performances feel to him? 

Maybe I'm missing something - maybe I'm guilty of wanting things too nice.  However, like you - I'm entitled to voice my opinion on here. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 18 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »