Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Arise Sir Andy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Arise Sir Andy

(Read 3344 times)
andychamp21

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 12:33 PM »

I'm sure he would get some order of the realm if not a knighthood...
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 12:35 PM »

I hope the Queen doesn't do this because that is potentially a weight on his shoulders. I want Andy to enjoy the feeling of nothing to lose. Sir Andy is an Andy with expectation and pressure again.

Leave it for after his career.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 12:49 PM »

As a non-UK citizen, I'm just confused as to why Andy would be knighted in the first place. Exactly what does that do or show?
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 12:52 PM »

I hope the Queen doesn't do this because that is potentially a weight on his shoulders. I want Andy to enjoy the feeling of nothing to lose. Sir Andy is an Andy with expectation and pressure again.

Agreed or maybe in 5 years time
IP Logged
andychamp21

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 02:09 PM »

As a non-UK citizen, I'm just confused as to why Andy would be knighted in the first place. Exactly what does that do or show?

It doesn't really have a proper place in modern society anyway, it's kind of archaic. In modern terms honours recognise personal bravery or achievement. He would never get a sir this easily, but things like MBE/ OBE might be likely.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 02:25 PM »

Well said
You do know also he would have to be called Sir Andy on court, maybe outside the UK it could be ignored but for Wimbledon it would be a disaster.
15-love to Sir Andrew, so its not going to happen.
I know quite a few titled people in real life & honestly it doesn't add too much to their personalities if you catch my drift.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 03:04 PM »

why on earth should a young man of 25 want to be saddled with something as old fashioned as a knighthood? Give him awards, sponsorship and above all support for whatever he wants to do in the future. Also add a big thankyou for revitalising tennis.

So I say a big thankyou but please don't stifle him with a knighthood.
I think the word "stifle" sums it up very nicely.  Andy doesn't go looking for recognition like this and I believe it would place an uncomfortable and embarrassing burden on him right now just as he's managed to get another huge burden off his back.  I don't think it would bother the other players though, given that Britain is the only country that hands this archaic honour out, so it's meaningless to them, but I agree with tcbm that it would sound ludicrous on court when umpires are announcing the score, or worse - "code violation for audible obscenity Sir Andy" lol

It's time the honours were brought into the 21st century anyway.  The use of the words "British Empire", and their motto "God and the Empire", are no longer of any relevance given that the British Empire no longer exists, and it's questionable how significant God is these days.

Tim Henman got an OBE once his career was over, so I think it would be appropriate to wait until Andy's is before any form of recognition is made.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 04:28 PM »

Couldn't agree more Aileen - the 'British Empire' tag is so outdated that it is embarrassing and actually demeaning to the countries that used to be part of that empire.  Having said that, given the people that have actually been awarded in honours in the past, Andy more than deserves it.  I, too, hope that if it comes it comes when he has retired from the circuit.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 04:44 PM »

Andy certainly deserves an honour more than Henman did.  The question really is - which one?
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 04:54 PM »

I hope they do not bestow this onto Andy, he does deserve it but I think he would prefer it once he has hung up his rackets.  However, I do think they may give him "Freedom of the Town" or something similar in Dunblane and I think this would be great as he has and never will forget where it all began and also the Murray family are obviously a big part of the community.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 04:56 PM »

Why exactly does he "live" in Surrey again?

I put live in quotations because he's not home often at all, I assume with all the tournaments.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 05:30 PM »

I hope they do not bestow this onto Andy, he does deserve it but I think he would prefer it once he has hung up his rackets.  However, I do think they may give him "Freedom of the Town" or something similar in Dunblane and I think this would be great as he has and never will forget where it all began and also the Murray family are obviously a big part of the community.
He's reportedly going to be awarded the Freedom of Stirling [near Dunblane] following his Olympic and USO successes.  Now this "Freedom" thing truly is archaic - for one thing, if he so wished, he would have the right to drive his sheep through the town!
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 05:40 PM »

He's reportedly going to be awarded the Freedom of Stirling [near Dunblane] following his Olympic and USO successes.  Now this "Freedom" thing truly is archaic - for one thing, if he so wished, he would have the right to drive his sheep through the town!

"Freedom of ........" is archaic but at least you don't have to carry it around with you every day.    A knighthood is a different kettle of fish.   I hope they don't do this to Andy - I can't see him being comfortable with it.     My worry is he might be too polite to refuse.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 06:12 PM »

"Freedom of ........" is archaic but at least you don't have to carry it around with you every day.    A knighthood is a different kettle of fish.   I hope they don't do this to Andy - I can't see him being comfortable with it.     My worry is he might be too polite to refuse.
Maybe by the time he's awarded it, if in fact that does happen - and I can't realistically see it happening right now - then hopefully he might feel either able to accept it or to politely refuse it.  Fortunately, according to info I've googled, "nowadays potential recipients are contacted by Downing Street, well before any public announcement is made, to confirm in writing whether they wish to be put forward for an honour", so refusing it would seem to be an easy thing to do.

Also the Queen has got nothing to do with these honours (she has ones of her own she can award, like Knights of the Thistle).  She simply does what Parliament asks her to do.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #29 on: September 12, 2012, 07:08 PM »

Chris Hoy is being awarded the Freedom of Edinburgh later this month so I'm not surprised if Andy will follow for Stirling. I think he would go through with it, home means a lot to him. Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »