Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Arise Sir Andy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Arise Sir Andy

(Read 3335 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 09:40 PM »

I don't want Andy to get the knighthood yet! I think it might embarass him as well as add to the pressure. The 'Freedom of Glasgow' would be nice though.......as he was born there! [as well as Stirling that is.]
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #31 on: September 12, 2012, 10:28 PM »

I wonder if Sean Connery is always called Sir.  It just seems like such an honor.  I like the sound of Knight of the Thistle.... but being American I don't exactly know what all of it means or what baggage goes along with the honor.  But I believe if something took 76 years to achieve that that is a tremendous achievement.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 12:51 AM »

I wonder if Sean Connery is always called Sir.  It just seems like such an honor.  I like the sound of Knight of the Thistle.... but being American I don't exactly know what all of it means or what baggage goes along with the honor.  But I believe if something took 76 years to achieve that that is a tremendous achievement.
Well here's some info about the Knights of the Thistle, which is the highest honour in Scotland - http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/Honours/OrderoftheThistle.aspx

I don't think much baggage goes along with any of the British honours because they're so archaic - just a handle to a person's name really and possible inflation of their ego.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 01:02 AM »

I don't want Andy to get the knighthood yet! I think it might embarass him as well as add to the pressure.
See my post @ 06:12 pm yesterday. Smile
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 02:22 AM »

I hope the Queen doesn't do this because that is potentially a weight on his shoulders. I want Andy to enjoy the feeling of nothing to lose. Sir Andy is an Andy with expectation and pressure again.

Leave it for after his career.

I think you're absolutely right. However, there is a little part of me that would like Virginia Wade etc having to call him Sir Andy. Also, Roger Federer v Sir Andy Murray sounds nice. I do agree that he doesn't need that pressure. I would like Andy's achievement to be recognised though.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 03:33 AM »

I hope the Queen doesn't do this.
The Queen has nothing to do with deciding who gets these honours.  Parliament gets together a list of suitable nominees, having first obtained their written acceptance of the awards (nobody is obliged to accept them) and passes it to the Queen, who in turn presents them to the recipients at an investiture at Buckingham Palace.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 12:14 PM »

See my post @ 06:12 pm yesterday. Smile
Right o' Aileen!  w00t
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 12:59 PM »

To be fair, Wiggins has 3 more Olympic golds from previous games and 7 medals in total, not just the 1 from this year.

Ainslie is the one who should be knighted this year though.

I think a key point here is that brilliant as Wiggins, Ainslie et al are, they have achieved in sports that Britain has a track record of achieving in. They have had people to look up to and inspire them. They hace hsd a team of fellow competitors around them to gain strength from. Hence they knew before they got started that achieving at the highest levels as Brits was perfectly possible. Wiggins TDF was very much a team effort, (that's not to under estimate the achievement), Murray has done it alone. Who has there been to inspire him, and push him on actually in completions? Nobody, apart from the long dead Fred Perry. Tim Henman was good, but very much an also ran. I personally think that it makes the true magnitude of Murray's achievements even greater.
Nobody takes these things too seriously these days, (apart from idiot civil servants who get awarded them in leu of a clock at the end of their service),  I think anything that makes him feel that his own country trully values him and respects his achievements has to be a good thing, even though it might well be embarrassing initially.  Personally I think he damn well deserves it, particularly given the crap the press and establishment has given him over the years. He has worked so ruddy hard for the prizes, so let him have them. I can think of few fellow sportspeople who deserve it more.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 01:38 PM »

I think most of us would agree that he 'deserves' it Masaka, but just have differing opinions as to whether it would be the 'right' thing for Andy at this time!      From his comment, Invisibleman seems to be under the impression  that only one knighthood is awarded per year. Not so!
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 01:58 PM »

I think most of us would agree that he 'deserves' it Masaka, but just have differing opinions as to whether it would be the 'right' thing for Andy at this time!      From his comment, Invisibleman seems to be under the impression  that only one knighthood is awarded per year. Not so!

Fair points. If he is offered it then he always has the option of refusing it at the present time. It wouldn't mean that he would not be offered it in the future. Mind you when he does win Wimbledon I think his options might be limited to "accept the Knighthood pal, or it's a one way trip to the tower...!!!" I am aware that more than one should be available. I just think that of all the sporting achievements this year, his is the greatest for the reasons above. Equally I recognise that, that is a matter of individual opinion.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #40 on: September 13, 2012, 02:40 PM »

I think a key point here is that brilliant as Wiggins, Ainslie et al are, they have achieved in sports that Britain has a track record of achieving in. They have had people to look up to and inspire them. They hace hsd a team of fellow competitors around them to gain strength from. Hence they knew before they got started that achieving at the highest levels as Brits was perfectly possible. Wiggins TDF was very much a team effort, (that's not to under estimate the achievement), Murray has done it alone. Who has there been to inspire him, and push him on actually in completions? Nobody, apart from the long dead Fred Perry. Tim Henman was good, but very much an also ran. I personally think that it makes the true magnitude of Murray's achievements even greater.
Nobody takes these things too seriously these days, (apart from idiot civil servants who get awarded them in leu of a clock at the end of their service),  I think anything that makes him feel that his own country trully values him and respects his achievements has to be a good thing, even though it might well be embarrassing initially.  Personally I think he damn well deserves it, particularly given the crap the press and establishment has given him over the years. He has worked so ruddy hard for the prizes, so let him have them. I can think of few fellow sportspeople who deserve it more.
Good posting! but I don't think this is the right time for Andy to be receiving a knighthood - an honour which is usually awarded for:

* a pre-eminent and sustained contribution
* being recognised by peer groups as inspirational
* the impact of the contribution being felt at a national level

Perhaps at this stage an MBE would be more appropriate.  This is awarded for:

* an outstanding achievement or service
* a sustained contribution
* a real impact
* a local role model

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/UKgovernment/Honoursawardsandmedals/DG_176568

F1 racing driver Lewis Hamilton was awarded an MBE at the age of 24 after becoming the youngest winner of the World Championship, and Chris Hoy had already been awarded it before he received his knighthood at the age of 32.  As I know nothing about F1 I can't comment on Hamilton's success but I can't believe Andy's achievements this year are any less worthy.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #41 on: September 13, 2012, 02:46 PM »

I think a key point here is that brilliant as Wiggins, Ainslie et al are, they have achieved in sports that Britain has a track record of achieving in.
Uh, no previous British TDF winners in history suggests otherwise.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #42 on: September 13, 2012, 02:50 PM »

F1 racing driver Lewis Hamilton was awarded an MBE at the age of 24 after becoming the youngest winner of the World Championship, and Chris Hoy had already been awarded it before he received his knighthood at the age of 32.  As I know nothing about F1 I can't comment on Hamilton's success but I can't believe Andy's achievements this year are any less worthy.
Hamilton's achievement was amazing and it was the style he did it in (second from last corner in the very last race of the season, most dramatic finish to an F1 season ever). However Britain does have a history of F1 champions (Hamilton's was the first in 12 years) and of course he was the fastest car. Not to take anything away from his achievements, but Murray's (and Wiggins) are far more impressive due to the independant nature (yes Wiggins had a team but it was still him cycling around France) and of course doing it in a sport where Britain has had no success in over 70 years.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #43 on: September 13, 2012, 02:58 PM »

Thanks for clarification MH.  So it would seem therefore that Murray, and Wiggins, would indeed be worthy recipients of an MBE.  The virtue of this is that Andy would be under no obligation to put the initials after his name - he could simply put the medal beside his other trophies and privately enjoy it.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #44 on: September 13, 2012, 03:03 PM »

Yep agreed. I'd hate to see him knighted, for most of the reasons stated in this thread. It would be silly, whilst he's still playing. Something for after his career.

An MBE however would be a suitable and in my opinion a well deserved award.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »