Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Arise Sir Andy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Arise Sir Andy

(Read 3331 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #45 on: September 13, 2012, 03:04 PM »

Aileen, Lewis Hamilton is my 'second' favourite sportsperson in the whole world! Andy and Wiggins both definately deserve to be honoured in some way! I'm almost certain they will be!  yay
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #46 on: September 13, 2012, 03:07 PM »

Yep agreed. I'd hate to see him knighted, for most of the reasons stated in this thread. It would be silly, whilst he's still playing. Something for after his career.

An MBE however would be a suitable and in my opinion a well deserved award.
Interestingly I checked out Chris Hoy and he said himself that he thought it very strange to have been awarded a knighthood whilst he was still competing.

Aileen, Lewis Hamilton is my 'second' favourite sportsperson in the whole world! Andy and Wiggins both definately deserve to be honoured in some way! I'm almost certain they will be!  yay
I didn't know you were into F1 Caz, but from what I've seen and heard about Hamilton he seems a really decent, genuine guy, just like Andy is.
[ Last edit by Aileen September 13, 2012, 03:13 PM ] IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #47 on: September 13, 2012, 03:10 PM »

He was a bit lucky, as much as I like and admire him.  Right place, right time.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #48 on: September 13, 2012, 03:22 PM »

Hi All,

As Aileen has explained, Andy wouldn't be obliged to accept any honour offered. Basically, all that happens is that Downing Street sends a letter to the would-be recipient asking if they would be prepared to receive whatever honour it might be. It's just a case of sending a form back saying yes or no apparently - according to Sir Cliff Richard that is, who I'm a big fan of. He got his Knighthood for years of charity work.

I'd love Andy to receive an honour because what he has done is special. At the risk of reinventing the wheel, over the last couple of months or so Andy has become the first British male tennis player in 74 years to reach a Wimbledon final. He is the first in 104 years to get an Olympic gold medal, and now he is the first for 76 years to win a major tournament. That is remarkable.

Andy receiving some sort of honour would, to my mind, be an acknowledgement from our country of his immense talent and dedication to hard work over many years. Now, to be fair, I don't remember Fred Perry playing, hopefully that is obvious Whistle, but as far as I can see Andy is the most talented player Britain has ever had, certainly in the modern era, and that isn't meant to be disrespectful to Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski. I think they would be the first to agree to be honest. I think Andy's talent and his natural way of coming across makes him the ideal British player to attract youngsters in to watching tennis, which could then lead to a lot of them giving it a try.

For me Andy is the ideal candidate for something like the M.B.E or the O.B.E. I think the knighthood can wait until he is a little bit older, maybe when/if he is coaching our potential slam winners of the future.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #49 on: September 13, 2012, 03:24 PM »

He was a bit lucky, as much as I like and admire him.  Right place, right time.
I think there's an element of luck in every sport, and tennis isn't an exception - take net cord balls for example - but it still requires that extra special ingredient.  Hamilton presumably saw a great opportunity, and just went for it.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #50 on: September 13, 2012, 03:25 PM »

Interestingly I checked out Chris Hoy and he said himself that he thought it very strange to have been awarded a knighthood whilst he was still competing.

I didn't know you were into F1 Caz, but from what I've seen and heard about Hamilton he seems a really decent, genuine guy, just like Andy is.

Yes Aileen! I've followed his career from the start too, just as I have Andy's, and I never miss a Grand Prix if I can help it.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #51 on: September 13, 2012, 03:37 PM »

Uh, no previous British TDF winners in history suggests otherwise.

Meant cycling in general. Didn't they get loads of medals in Bejing? There is certainly more than one superb cyclist currently completing and at the top of the game. Wiggins also did win by vertue of being part of a team. Murray has battled on alone for so long.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #52 on: September 13, 2012, 04:24 PM »

Now that we generally agree Andy should be awarded an MBE, the only thing left is for him to actually get it! lol  This of course isn't up to us but to the Nominations Committees in Parliament.  Although you can nominate people yourself that usually applies to those who are not well-known names, and the process is a bit laborious.  Maybe though as David Cameron is a huge tennis fan, having played the sport and met Andy, he might put in a word ... ??
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #53 on: September 13, 2012, 04:39 PM »

Wiggins got a CBE after the Beijing Olympics so if they were to honour him further then I think he'd have to be knighted.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #54 on: September 13, 2012, 05:01 PM »

Wiggins got a CBE after the Beijing Olympics so if they were to honour him further then I think he'd have to be knighted.
Thanks.  I didn't know that.  Yes, a knighthood would be the next step up - and, as he's 32 and therefore probably near the end of his career, that would make sense, although whether he'd want it whilst still competing would be up to him.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #55 on: September 14, 2012, 12:57 AM »

I think most of us would agree that he 'deserves' it Masaka, but just have differing opinions as to whether it would be the 'right' thing for Andy at this time!      From his comment, Invisibleman seems to be under the impression  that only one knighthood is awarded per year. Not so!

Not at all. I just didn't really agree with the comment that Murray's achievements are equal or better than Wiggins when you consider that a knighthood would be based on lifetime not just this year, that's all. Smile I would also question what British track record and hero Wiggins had to look up in the Tour de France though.

However, I do recall reading a few weeks ago that there were limits on the number of honours for sports people and there was some debate that some medalists may have to miss out. It was also mentioned that there could be only 1 sports knighthood and if that is the case then I feel the guy who won gold for the 4th consecutive Olympics and then retired should be the 1 this year. Smile

Anyway I believe they all deserve it, but perhaps just not quite this year yet. Should be an MBE this year for sure though. Geoff Hurst didn't get knighted until 1998 FFS and what he did in 1966 had never been done before and has still not been done since.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 September 14, 2012, 01:28 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #56 on: September 14, 2012, 01:18 AM »

^ There are limits on the number of honours that can be awarded in all categories, not just sport, but I think the Nominations Committee for sporting honours is going to have a heck of a job deciding who's going to get what with so many deserving candidates to chose from, and you can bet there'll be a fuss afterwards over the ones who are left out.  It's easy to say Andy's achievements should be recognised but I'm certainly not counting any chickens here.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #57 on: September 14, 2012, 01:26 AM »

Meant cycling in general. Didn't they get loads of medals in Bejing? There is certainly more than one superb cyclist currently completing and at the top of the game. Wiggins also did win by vertue of being part of a team. Murray has battled on alone for so long.

Wiggins won the individual pusuit in Beijing, and also in Athens where Hoy was the only other British cycling gold medalist. In Sydney there was 1 (Queally) and Atlanta none. 3 of his 4 gold medals were individual events.

I'm sorry, but whatever way you possibly look at it Wiggins is the guy everyone else has had to look up to, he had very little come before him.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #58 on: September 14, 2012, 01:37 AM »

It's going to be different this year -"A special honours list is to be created with no limit to the number of awards that can be bestowed after Britain's best ever Olympics and Paralympics..."
more at http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/sep/07/camreon-separate-honours-olympians-paralympians
(Article written before US Open final!)
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Arise Sir Andy « Reply #59 on: September 14, 2012, 01:41 AM »

Well that's very encouraging Elena.  Thanks for posting.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »