Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions!!
Murray in 2 - 11 (26.8%)
Murray in 3 - 23 (56.1%)
Djokovic in 2 - 2 (4.9%)
Djokovic in 3 - 5 (12.2%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 ... 67 Go Down Reply
Author

WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic

(Read 14282 times)
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #915 on: November 07, 2012, 06:14 PM »

sounds like it will goto the wire to decide will qualify from this group.... it looked a tough group on paper...and its panning out like that.

Djoko has a 7-0 h2h vs Berdych on hard court..and 10-1 overall..sooo can't see him losing that.

Tsonga has a 1-3 h2h vs Berdych ...and 0-1 on hard court.... the matches were very close tho...small margins between them ...Berdych won the last match between them
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #916 on: November 07, 2012, 06:14 PM »

Didn't Tsonga beat Berdych here last year?
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #917 on: November 07, 2012, 06:16 PM »

Didn't Tsonga beat Berdych here last year?

Yes  you are right..he did ...straight sets...just rechecked
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #918 on: November 07, 2012, 06:16 PM »

Interesting. Fingers crossed for a repeat then, although Tsonga is clearly at a lower level than last year.

Anyway Marray and Nielsen have just started their match, playing the 2nd seeds. 1-1 so far.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #919 on: November 07, 2012, 06:17 PM »

Hi All,

I've glanced at just the last few pages of this thread, and typically, I am left fuming. Andy narrowly loses to the number one in the world and he deserves name calling and abuse from fans, one fan in particular who didn't even see the entire bloody match? Please, give me a break.

Andy played a brilliant, brilliant first set. His level of play was easily right up there with anything he produced in the final of the USO. What did you people think was going to happen then, Djokovic was going to be a good little Serbian and hand over the match, deciding he didn't fancy it today? If you did you are delusional. It was patently obvious Djokovic, as the world no.1, at least in waiting if not literally yet, would do everything he could to lift his game, and he did, taking the second set.

Andy could have rolled over when Djokovic started to get a grip in the third. I must admit to being momentarily worried that Andy might not be able to stop the run, but stop it he did. He worked his backside off to level the set and then to break, but Djokovic was obviously not about to be denied. Anyone who thinks Andy choked or handed over the win was clearly watching something else. Andy fought, but this time he just narrowly lost.

All Andy did wrong was to drop his level just a bit in the second set, but credit to Djokovic as well for getting his head out of his backside and lifting his game when he needed to. Frankly, between the first and second set I swear Andy was playing two different people. I think Djokovic thought the same.

I'm not going to get into the permutations of what needs to happen now. I'm sure someone will explain it. However, what I am going to say unfortunately, is that I've only been around here since just after Wimbledon. I was looking for somewhere where I could share following Andy's career with like-minded people, and I thought I'd found it after searching for a long time. When things are positive this is a great place to be. I don't expect Andy to be praised to the skies when he plays badly, don't misunderstand me, but what I  also don't expect is Andy to be abused and insulted every time he fails to live up to some people's exacting standards. Some of you, unfortunately, are fans of Andy when, and only when, he wins, and seem unable to resist sticking the boot into the man when he loses, and please, don't patronise us by suggesting that some of the remarks around here are knee-jerk reactions. If they are then some of you need to get a bit of a grip. I am disappointed, I really believed Andy was going to win today, but he isn't finished yet. He fought today and just narrowly lost. It's nothing to get suicidal about.

God help Andy when he gets to no.1 and then loses a match. The knives will really come out then.

So nice to hear the voice of reason - thank goodness for the TJs on this site.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if Berdych was to win his two remaining matches in straight sets and Andy was to beat Tsonga in straights, I think Andy and Berdych would go through and Nole would be out.  A very unlikely scenario I know but possible.
[ Last edit by Alis November 07, 2012, 06:20 PM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #920 on: November 07, 2012, 06:18 PM »

Forget the permutations. If we're honest, the highly likely scenario is that Djokovic will paste Berdych and Berdych will win fairly comfortably vs Tsonga. That makes Andy's task pretty clear.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #921 on: November 07, 2012, 06:18 PM »

Yes ...he did ...straight sets

Did he? I didn't know that. That will teach me not to ignore Berdych's matches purely on the basis of finding him annoying.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #922 on: November 07, 2012, 06:19 PM »

I didn't realise that. Will have to recalculate then.

As far as I can see, it only affects the Berdych wins in 3 tonight, then Murray and Berdych both win in 3 on Friday.

Which would mean Berdych, Djokovic and Murray all have 2-1 match wins, whilst Djokovic has 5-3 sets won to Murray and Berdych 5-4 sets won.

So question is - does H2H come into it before sets are taken into account, or after?

It only comes down to that if it's between 2 guys. But that's not going to happen, probably. So if Djokovic and Murray both win two matches and lose one and Berdych and Tsonga both win one and lose two, it would come down to H2H on who finishes first. And since Djokovic beat Murray, he would be the group winner.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #923 on: November 07, 2012, 06:19 PM »

No, the last comment wasn't aimed at you at all, actually. Smile I was more talking about boogers... I have a hard time believing he's truly an Andy fan tbh.
As a newbie on here, I often read his comments and assume it's someone trolling, then I see it's a member with thousands of posts and involved in the site and I'm left confused.    I suppose some people just enjoy being negative, and perhaps it makes them feel better about themselves or an unwelcome score to react that way. 

The way some talk, you'd think Andy was the only one who hits some shots just outside the line during a tight game, or who has the odd game where they aren't playing at absolute 100% 

In reality, Andy played some great tennis against another great player.  They both had moments  when they weren't playing their best, and others where they appeared invincible, and momentum shifted accordingly.  This time around, Novak (the current world number one) held the momentum at the very end, and so was the one celebrating a tight victory in a growing line of tight matches between them.

I wanted Andy to win, and I'm disappointed he didn't, but overall I'm happy enough with how he played.   If I were his coach, I'd be able to make some suggestions on how he could play better next time, but he's already got someone to do that for him.  I'm sure Nole's not under any illusion that he played perfect tennis during every point either.

At risk of repeating everyone else, it's the end of the year, they are all tired, and we can't be sure what physical niggles are bugging them.  It's not reasonable to expect errorless tennis from any of them.

It would have been great to have had a win today, and been much more certain of a place in the semis, but he's still a favourite to do so, and I'm perfectly happy for him to meet Federer in there.  Federer has a great reputation at the O2, but it's going to take more than an easy win over Tipsy to convince me that he's recovered his form.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #924 on: November 07, 2012, 06:19 PM »

Forget the permutations. If we're honest, the highly likely scenario is that Djokovic will paste Berdych and Berdych will win fairly comfortably vs Tsonga. That makes Andy's task pretty clear.

If it is clear would you explain it to me? Yes, I am thick when it comes to numbers lol.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #925 on: November 07, 2012, 06:20 PM »

Interesting. Fingers crossed for a repeat then, although Tsonga is clearly at a lower level than last year.

Anyway Marray and Nielsen have just started their match, playing the 2nd seeds. 1-1 so far.

Yeah...Tsonga has lost both matches this year v Berdych
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #926 on: November 07, 2012, 06:20 PM »

If it is clear would you explain it to me? Yes, I am thick when it comes to numbers lol.

He'll need to beat Tsonga.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #927 on: November 07, 2012, 06:21 PM »

So nice to hear the voice of reason - thank goodness for the TJs on this site.

I don't know about reason. You should have seen the steam coming out of my ears lol. It's good for my typing speed mind you lol.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #928 on: November 07, 2012, 06:23 PM »

He'll need to beat Tsonga.

Thanks, that's clear enough, even for me lol. I knew only getting an F in GCSE Maths was a bad thing lol. I warned them I wouldn't get a decent grade lol. I understand words, but numbers, I hate them!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #929 on: November 07, 2012, 06:24 PM »

Yeah...Tsonga has lost both matches this year v Berdych

Tsonga didn't look sharp enough against Nole the other day though he fought really hard in the first set, but after losing it in TB, he simply gave up in the 2nd. That's the problem I am having with him right now as to how much does he really care.

Andy does have his win over Berdcyh so if worse comes to worse, that will come handy.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 ... 67 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »