Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions!!
Murray in 2 - 11 (26.8%)
Murray in 3 - 23 (56.1%)
Djokovic in 2 - 2 (4.9%)
Djokovic in 3 - 5 (12.2%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 Go Down Reply
Author

WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic

(Read 13257 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #930 on: November 07, 2012, 06:26 PM »

Thanks, that's clear enough, even for me lol. I knew only getting an F in GCSE Maths was a bad thing lol. I warned them I wouldn't get a decent grade lol. I understand words, but numbers, I hate them!

Should have done Foundation.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #931 on: November 07, 2012, 06:32 PM »

As a newbie on here, I often read his comments and assume it's someone trolling, then I see it's a member with thousands of posts and involved in the site and I'm left confused.    I suppose some people just enjoy being negative, and perhaps it makes them feel better about themselves or an unwelcome score to react that way. 

The way some talk, you'd think Andy was the only one who hits some shots just outside the line during a tight game, or who has the odd game where they aren't playing at absolute 100% 

In reality, Andy played some great tennis against another great player.  They both had moments  when they weren't playing their best, and others where they appeared invincible, and momentum shifted accordingly.  This time around, Novak (the current world number one) held the momentum at the very end, and so was the one celebrating a tight victory in a growing line of tight matches between them.

I wanted Andy to win, and I'm disappointed he didn't, but overall I'm happy enough with how he played.   If I were his coach, I'd be able to make some suggestions on how he could play better next time, but he's already got someone to do that for him.  I'm sure Nole's not under any illusion that he played perfect tennis during every point either.

At risk of repeating everyone else, it's the end of the year, they are all tired, and we can't be sure what physical niggles are bugging them.  It's not reasonable to expect errorless tennis from any of them.

It would have been great to have had a win today, and been much more certain of a place in the semis, but he's still a favourite to do so, and I'm perfectly happy for him to meet Federer in there.  Federer has a great reputation at the O2, but it's going to take more than an easy win over Tipsy to convince me that he's recovered his form.

A lot of us feel like you Sparkle - not all of us are so ready to put the boot in.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #932 on: November 07, 2012, 06:33 PM »

Tsonga didn't look sharp enough against Nole the other day though he fought really hard in the first set, but after losing it in TB, he simply gave up in the 2nd. That's the problem I am having with him right now as to how much does he really care.

Andy does have his win over Berdcyh so if worse comes to worse, that will come handy.

Yeah... Tsonga seems to have lost the edge he had last year. However, I feel that both players, whilst being talented players in their own right...when momentum shifts against them during matches rarely find the solution to the problem to win a match against the top players....and tend to capitulate.

Yeah..that win against Berdych by Andy may well be the deciding factor.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #933 on: November 07, 2012, 06:36 PM »

Hi Nigel. I've been around, just haven't posted...

First comes matches won.
Then, if two players are tied, head-to-head.
If three players are tied, then set percentage. If set percentage only separates one of the three players (for better or worse), but the other two have the same set percentage, it then goes to head-to-head between the two remaining players.
If the three all have the same set percentage, then it goes to games percentage. If games percentage only separates one player, it then goes to head-to-head between tie two remaining players.
If games percentage for all three are the same, it goes by world ranking.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #934 on: November 07, 2012, 06:37 PM »

I'm not keen on speculating on the best outcome of tonight's match, because we'd need to know what will happen on Friday.  It's most probable that Andy will beat Berdych and Andy will beat Tsonga, so tonight's match is just about points and glory.   Hoping for an outcome that assumes one of those things doesn't happen feels like tempting fate.  You might wish for the wrong one!

Edits: I didn't realise that the H2H came into play.  It makes sense to do that before getting involved with sets and games.
[ Last edit by *Sparkle* November 07, 2012, 06:42 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #935 on: November 07, 2012, 06:38 PM »

Hi Nigel. I've been around, just haven't posted...

First comes matches won.
Then, if two players are tied, head-to-head.
If three players are tied, then set percentage. If set percentage only separates one of the three players (for better or worse), but the other two have the same set percentage, it then goes to head-to-head between the two remaining players.
If the three all have the same set percentage, then it goes to games percentage. If games percentage only separates one player, it then goes to head-to-head between tie two remaining players.
If games percentage for all three are the same, it goes by world ranking.

This is the relevant bit to this scenario. So it would mean Murray qualifies if it comes to that.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter November 07, 2012, 07:17 PM ] IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #936 on: November 07, 2012, 06:41 PM »

For tonight, we basically want a Tsonga win, or failing that, he should at least take a set off Berdych, and as many games as possible.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #937 on: November 07, 2012, 06:42 PM »

A lot of us feel like you Sparkle - not all of us are so ready to put the boot in.
Exactly Alis,Sparkle and lots of others, I am always shocked, don't know why, happens every time .  All I care about is Andy, and hope he qualifies , he is doing his best for Gods sake.   shocking
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #938 on: November 07, 2012, 06:44 PM »

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Finale%20SF%20Qualifications.aspx
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #939 on: November 07, 2012, 06:48 PM »

Watching this match from start to finish was a privilege, it was a match of the highest quality played by the current best two players in the world.  The number three seed was narrowly edged out by the number one seed, the number three seed played some phenomenal tennis as did the number one seed, the smallest of margins decided the outcome.  There are going to be plenty more of these matches and the outcomes just like momentum during this match today will swing like a pendulum. 

Andy played amazingly today, there is no shame in this result, I can handle constructive criticism when he has not played well, but saying he choked today and he is in a slump etc etc etc is pure daft!!  Put Nole up against any of the rest of the top ten and he wins in straight sets. 

Supporting someone means through good and bad, thick and thin etc,  only supporting someone when they are successful means you are a glory hunter aka Man City fan!!! Lol

This is not over yet, still potential for Andy to qualify, one thing is for sure he will give it his all even with his end of season tiredness and niggling back injury, the least we can do is support him all the way and not turn on him.  Even if he does not qualify, he has done us all proud this year.  Come on the Muzza.....

IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #940 on: November 07, 2012, 06:49 PM »

Yes, I fully recognise that the vast majority are not like that, and that makes the misplaced outrage stick out even more.  I get that people may be disappointed, and that a worked up fan might get all maudlin and melodramatic about what could have been if only ...

But I see that as distinct from being actually annoyed or even angry that a ball went a few centimetres outside a line, changing an awe inspiring winner into a squandered opportunity.

Still, it's all part of the drama, isn't it?!
IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #941 on: November 07, 2012, 06:51 PM »

What was it like, up-close, Dave?

Most times I've been to tennis I'm usually a few rows back. I've been that close at Wimbledon before for outside court matches, and once for the women's quarter finals on Centre Court. Naturally, the tennis I saw close up today was another level than those occasions. The *slices* they both hit were evil. Murray's power on the forehand was sometimes breathtaking. Sitting behind the ad court, I really got a sense of the player's reactions on returns too. I'm not sure how much of it was me sitting where I was, but some of Djokovic's returns were just incredible.

I think from right up courtside you get the sense of how physical the match is: how much they are putting into each shot. It was fairly relentless apart from early in set three, wasn't it? Even though Andy lost I felt privileged to watch such high level sport up close. I'm pretty convinced these two hit their topspins slightly lower over the net than less elite players too. The margins for error are tiny.

I'm hoping for the final I can do the same and swap seats. The tickets we have are not right at the top but they are on the higher level. The lower level tickets for the final were something like £200 each if I remember correctly. My mum is coming to London for the final and if we can get seats up close she will be  over the moon.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #942 on: November 07, 2012, 06:59 PM »

What a privelege to be there Dave H - I'm green with envy.  Hopefully, you'll get another chance to watch Andy in the final.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #943 on: November 07, 2012, 07:04 PM »

Should have done Foundation.

Wasn't offered lol. I can do basic stuff, adding up, that sort of thing, but put lots of numbers in, or something sort of logical like the various permutations of the WTF, I have no chance. Apparently a lot of people with my disability are bad at maths. What the connection is I'm not sure, but it works as an excuse lol. I'm probably just frightened of numbers. It's a bit pathetic at my age.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #944 on: November 07, 2012, 07:08 PM »

Watching this match from start to finish was a privilege, it was a match of the highest quality played by the current best two players in the world.  The number three seed was narrowly edged out by the number one seed, the number three seed played some phenomenal tennis as did the number one seed, the smallest of margins decided the outcome.  There are going to be plenty more of these matches and the outcomes just like momentum during this match today will swing like a pendulum. 

Andy played amazingly today, there is no shame in this result, I can handle constructive criticism when he has not played well, but saying he choked today and he is in a slump etc etc etc is pure daft!!  Put Nole up against any of the rest of the top ten and he wins in straight sets. 

Supporting someone means through good and bad, thick and thin etc,  only supporting someone when they are successful means you are a glory hunter aka Man City fan!!! Lol

This is not over yet, still potential for Andy to qualify, one thing is for sure he will give it his all even with his end of season tiredness and niggling back injury, the least we can do is support him all the way and not turn on him.  Even if he does not qualify, he has done us all proud this year.  Come on the Muzza.....

Great, great post!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »