Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions!!
Murray in 2 - 11 (26.8%)
Murray in 3 - 23 (56.1%)
Djokovic in 2 - 2 (4.9%)
Djokovic in 3 - 5 (12.2%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic  (Read 10278 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #945 on: November 07, 2012, 07:10 PM »

Most times I've been to tennis I'm usually a few rows back. I've been that close at Wimbledon before for outside court matches, and once for the women's quarter finals on Centre Court. Naturally, the tennis I saw close up today was another level than those occasions. The *slices* they both hit were evil. Murray's power on the forehand was sometimes breathtaking. Sitting behind the ad court, I really got a sense of the player's reactions on returns too. I'm not sure how much of it was me sitting where I was, but some of Djokovic's returns were just incredible.

I think from right up courtside you get the sense of how physical the match is: how much they are putting into each shot. It was fairly relentless apart from early in set three, wasn't it? Even though Andy lost I felt privileged to watch such high level sport up close. I'm pretty convinced these two hit their topspins slightly lower over the net than less elite players too. The margins for error are tiny.

I'm hoping for the final I can do the same and swap seats. The tickets we have are not right at the top but they are on the higher level. The lower level tickets for the final were something like £200 each if I remember correctly. My mum is coming to London for the final and if we can get seats up close she will be  over the moon.

DaveH, how brilliant to be there live today. I am green with envy! Should you feel inclined to sneak me into the final with you, especially if Andy gets there, I really won't put up much of a fight lol.
IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #946 on: November 07, 2012, 07:10 PM »

What a privelege to be there Dave H - I'm green with envy.  Hopefully, you'll get another chance to watch Andy in the final.

I hope so.  :-)

There are good points about being in London but think of all that pollution I'm swallowing and you are not.
IP Logged
Geo
Futures Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #947 on: November 07, 2012, 07:13 PM »

The 2nd match in this tournament doesn't have a good ending for Murray.  Two defeats to Federer and now one to Djokovic.   Beating Simon in 2008 is the only win in the second match.  He has won all 3 in the final match of the group.   
IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #948 on: November 07, 2012, 07:16 PM »

DaveH, how brilliant to be there live today. I am green with envy! Should you feel inclined to sneak me into the final with you, especially if Andy gets there, I really won't put up much of a fight lol.

My mum has been looking forward to this since March, so I better not. However, there are still tickets for sale at viagogo.com

http://www.viagogo.co.uk/Sports-Tickets/Tennis/Barclays-ATP-World-Tour-Finals-Tickets/E-419143
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #949 on: November 07, 2012, 07:17 PM »

For tonight, we basically want a Tsonga win, or failing that, he should at least take a set off Berdych, and as many games as possible.
Indeed.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #950 on: November 07, 2012, 07:28 PM »

Great report Dave.  It's fantastic to get the perspective of someone who was actually there and seeing it all in action.  Much appreciated. Very Happy
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #951 on: November 07, 2012, 07:34 PM »

because their  games are so similar    (Andy's serve  a bit stronger)   they only major difference  really is their mentality  which  Djokovic  is obviously  stronger in,  this proved evident today.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #952 on: November 07, 2012, 08:02 PM »

I think the only thing that really separates them is mentality and consistency.

Personally I think Murray is slightly better at his best, he just struggles to keep that level up over the entire match. Hence how he often takes the first set (or two - USO) then falls away a bit.

But then of course I'm going to be a bit biased.

Consistency is why Djokovic is #1 though. Murray suffers way too many defeats to lower ranked players in the early stages and often fails to keep his level up against the top guys when outplaying them.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #953 on: November 07, 2012, 08:48 PM »

I just watched Djokovic's interview and he said he will try to win the last match as well, regardless of the score. So, I don't think we have to worry about him tanking to Berdych should he win today.

Besides, unlike Roger, Novak likes Andy. Wink
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #954 on: November 07, 2012, 08:53 PM »

I think the only thing that really separates them is mentality and consistency.

Personally I think Murray is slightly better at his best, he just struggles to keep that level up over the entire match. Hence how he often takes the first set (or two - USO) then falls away a bit.

But then of course I'm going to be a bit biased.

Consistency is why Djokovic is #1 though. Murray suffers way too many defeats to lower ranked players in the early stages and often fails to keep his level up against the top guys when outplaying them.

I dont think that sounds too biased..... I think thats a fair assessment...however....Murray has openly stated that what he needs to do is produce consistency throughout  the atp season to challenge for no1 status....and Djoko is that man to beat to reach that.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #955 on: November 07, 2012, 09:18 PM »

You guys really think Novak is just going to tank so Andy doesn't get through? If Nole tanks, it would give Berdych some strong confidence, and if they ended up facing in the final Berdych could really push Nole. I really don't think Nole is going to tank in a tournament of this standard, he's not tipsarevic.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #956 on: November 07, 2012, 09:59 PM »

Why would Djoko tank cos if Berdych wins against Tsonga, Andy wins against Tsonga and Djoko tanks, that leaves them all on two wins and then it is down to games won etc. Would that not be a bit close for comfort?
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #957 on: November 07, 2012, 10:12 PM »

Absolutely no way Novak is doing anything but trying to win his last match, he knows how it might pan out if he loses so any talk of tanking is just stupid
IP Logged
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #958 on: November 07, 2012, 10:13 PM »

Just watched this match. What the blazes was Andy doing at first break point to Joker. He charged the net like a big haddie and everyone knew he was going to lose the point. And he did!

Thereafter Andy had to save a load of break points just to stay in the match. What happened? Djokovic definetly still has the edge over Andy.

IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #959 on: November 07, 2012, 10:16 PM »

Absolutely no way Novak is doing anything but trying to win his last match, he knows how it might pan out if he loses so any talk of tanking is just stupid

Totally agree, although he would probably prefer to play someone other than Murray, he cannot risk a calculated tank because it could end up backfiring.  Just have to cross everything and pray that Andy whips Tsonga in two quick straight sets, that's all he can do, the rest is out of his hands.  No way Djoko will tank, he is too much a consummate professional plus he wants the ranking points to put distance between him and Fed.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »