Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at Australian Open 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 31 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy at Australian Open 2012

(Read 11142 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at Australian Open 2012 « Reply #30 on: January 11, 2012, 07:24 PM »

This was the post I was talking about earlier on:
_________________________________________________ ________________________________

Re: Murray's Future - Andy
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 12:59:37 PM »

On the tactical side, Murray is solid. Nothing needs to change – improve, yes but that goes for everyone. There’s always room for improvement in anything. Murray needs some mental adjustments. He’s only 1 match away from winning the precious Major. He’s won 6 Masters and made 3 finals of GSs beating the likes of Federer, Nadal, Nole, Delpo etc., so it’s never the tactical adjustment or the adjustment of the forehand. Tennis is 70% mental and 30% all others. If there’s one aspect of the game that can truly save you an otherwise devastating day, it is the Serve – not the forehand or the backhand or the volleys etc.

You never want to underestimate the mental aspect of anything. It can build you and help you overcome your worst fear or it can take you down like nothing else. When people panic under crucial circumstances, they tend to make a ton of mistakes and lose their objectivity completely. They are not themselves anymore. That’s why brain is such an amazing tool and perhaps the greatest thing we have ever witnessed. Physical abilities only follow. For example, a mentally crippled person will never be able to play regular level tennis let alone pro level. And Murray has good/valid reasons to panic in Slam finals (the Dunblane Massacre which was never taken care of much less discussed, the 75 year old burden of a nation and finally, sheer bad luck of having to play the likes of Federer and Novak in the finals, whose first Slams came at the expense of the likes of Mark Philippoussis (never won a Slam and that was his only final), Tsonga (has yet to make another final let alone win one) and Mariano Puerta, a guy who bombed out of every Slam he played mostly in the 1st rounds and that RG final was his only final.

It’s easy to criticize Murray I am sure now that he’s down and out (this is the same guy who made the 2011 AO final mind you – not Federer, the favourite or Nadal, the overwhelming favourite at that time and don’t forget the way the odds were swinging heavily in their favour) but it’s not easy to be in his shoes. Name one player who has something similar going on. Even the Almighty Federer crumbled under pressure like a 3 year old, when he failed to break the record and went on to lose 3 Slams finals in a row on his favourite surfaces to the same player, who eventually left him crying at the tennis altar. He was only able to win and break Samrpras’ record when Nadal took a year long slump by bombing out early at RG and not showing up at Wimbledon at all for reasons unknown (I may add that perhaps he too wasn’t feeling all that confident to compete at the top level and took about a year to come back to be in the top form). Could Federer have done it otherwise? I guess we will never find out. But just goes to show that it doesn’t matter how flawless your game is, it can happen to you and you will crumble under pressure. What matters is how you handle it but more importantly, how you overcome it.

That can be a discussion itself in fact. Murray indeed needs a coach who can teach him how to overcome this last hurdle of his; someone who has gone through the same; someone who has the ability to influence/impact others. Because Murray is mentally quite independent and very unlikely to listen to anyone, unless it’s someone he truly respects in every possible way - not just any coach who mostly tends to bulls**t/control the relationship and is more eager to establish his superiority over all others. I do like the idea of Lendl taking over as he did with Pete for a certain period of time - he wasn’t his coach exactly, but it was more so that Pete needed proper guidance and direction. In any case, Murray is in a no-win situation at the moment (and for a while) and so anything and everything he does will only create more controversies and there will be some more mindless bashings. Nothing will interest him until and unless he wins a Slam and his mind is only there, so these losses don’t matter to him at all. He’s in his own unique league right now and being consistent is hardly the motivation factor here and unlikely to take him anywhere.
_________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ ___

^^^ that was in response to the post below (especially the bolded part) by another poster. I admit I got a bit emotional there but the points were clear. All these posts were after his losses to Donald Young, Bogo Jr. etc.

_________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ ___

Re: Murray's Future - Andy
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:29:50 AM »

i have a feeling that his mental fragility is interrelated with his forehand.........tell me who was the last baseliner to have won a slam with such a crappy forehand.........look, forehand is the biggest shot for a baseliner.........

murray knows that his puny forehand does not allow him to get any ascendancy in the rallies and he has to run down a lot of balls which he does quite successfully against lesser players in pressure free rounds........

however, playing the best players in slam semis or finals is a different thing.........slam finals put added pressure and murray is out of gas very soon due to the excessive chasing coupled with intense pressure.........

what could make things way more easy and way more comfortable in such situations is a real forehand........

just watch his slam finals........his forehand keeps getting worse and worse and he has to run more and more due to that........there is absolutely no confidence in getting the ball over the net with his forehand as the match progresses........

where i am getting at is, his mental fragility is somewhat overrated and viewed as his major obstacle to get over that final hurdle, but improving his forehand might solve this ongoing misery.........i don't even think he will need any mental help if he betters that forehand.........
[ Last edit by -Emma- January 11, 2012, 07:33 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at Australian Open 2012 « Reply #31 on: January 11, 2012, 07:33 PM »

Well, Mr Lendl had a cannonball forehand, so here's hoping....
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at Australian Open 2012 « Reply #32 on: January 11, 2012, 07:35 PM »

Well, Mr Lendl had a cannonball forehand, so here's hoping....

Well, Andy's forehand is quite good if not devastating. So let's see what Lendl can do to it to make it a true weapon - though I still stand by my serve comment.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy at Australian Open 2012 « Reply #33 on: January 11, 2012, 07:37 PM »

I agree, Andy's forehand really ain't that bad. It's that second serve that puts so much pressure on Andy's game.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Andy at Australian Open 2012 « Reply #34 on: January 11, 2012, 07:42 PM »

Thanks for the info Craig.. I'll look into that.  Good luck with the youtube.. you going to be famous?... shades
cmon yeah
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Andy at Australian Open 2012 « Reply #35 on: January 11, 2012, 07:43 PM »

Oh joy of joys!... I found a short video of him practicing (and being coached!!)  He's hitting with Ricardas (Richard) Berankis of Lithuania.
(Maybe I should have put it under 'videos?') Shrug
http://media.theage.com.au/sport/sports-hq/raw-vision-andy-murrays-warm-up-2883729.html
thanks for sharing that!! He's working hard...
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Andy at Australian Open 2012 « Reply #36 on: January 11, 2012, 08:16 PM »

Emma, who wrote these articles?
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Andy at Australian Open 2012 « Reply #37 on: January 11, 2012, 08:20 PM »

I agree, Andy's forehand really ain't that bad. It's that second serve that puts so much pressure on Andy's game.
I second that.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy at Australian Open 2012 « Reply #38 on: January 11, 2012, 08:28 PM »

Looking at the latest photos and videos of Andy practicing under Lendl's watchful eyes it seems that he is doing a lot of serving as well as forehands and backhands. I'm sure he is working on those areas he feels will give Andy the edge, and give him confidence. Watching the latter matches at Brisbane, Andy's second serve was faster and better placed. Mr lendl is giving me confidence and it seems that Andy is relishing the hard work and listening to what is being said by the maestro.Hurray.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at Australian Open 2012 « Reply #39 on: January 11, 2012, 08:51 PM »

But we are still missing the point. If Andy didn't have a good/great forehand then he wouldn't have made those finals. He has dismissed all those top players in Masters and Nadal twice in two different Grand Slams. In the 2008 USO, he beat him in the semi - a much bigger match so that guy can't just say that, it's partly because of his forehand, he is not able to come up with the goods in a major final. It's a wrong assessment. I get that a solid forehand is essential instead of those unnecessary running and will save a lot more energy going forward, but a big serve is far more important and that should be the main weapon. You don't even have to go as far as the forehand. The point will end in an instance. Forehand is secondary but it is a big weapon too but not certainly not as big as the serve.

The point I was making is that, if Andy can keep things mentally together, then he can blow anyone off the court with the game he has because his forehand is good enough but it’s the mental aspect of things that doesn’t allow him to keep things together as he gets agitated. That guy thinks it’s the forehand that’s keeping him form winning a major or implying that Andy has a technical flaw in his game. And that’s from a Nadal fan. Quite ironic if you think about it.

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy at Australian Open 2012 « Reply #40 on: January 11, 2012, 08:56 PM »

Emma, who wrote these articles?

Those aren't articles, Apollo but posts. The first one was by me and the 2nd one was by this Nadal fan but the 2nd one should really come first. I don't know if I am making things complicated here. lol. Just ignore it, please!
IP Logged
AussieAndyFan

Re: Andy at Australian Open 2012 « Reply #41 on: January 12, 2012, 06:44 AM »

Ready to go!!

http://p.twimg.com/Ai7jQzLCIAA7gqQ.jpg:large

I'm hoping that link works. Smile
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Andy at Australian Open 2012 « Reply #42 on: January 12, 2012, 08:27 AM »

Ready to go!!

http://p.twimg.com/Ai7jQzLCIAA7gqQ.jpg:large
I'm hoping that link works. Smile
Love the outfits. You're ready for the catwalk with those!
Have you got the chants/song at the ready?
 yay Thanks for supporting Andy so well!
IP Logged
bhill_mfc
Satellite Level

Re: Andy at Australian Open 2012 « Reply #43 on: January 12, 2012, 12:46 PM »

what time is the draw at tonight? Is it being streamed?
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andy at Australian Open 2012 « Reply #44 on: January 12, 2012, 12:50 PM »

Baggy beat Del Potro comforatably last night 7-6(7), 6-4 in the quarters of APIA INTERNATIONAL SYDNEY. This surprised me a little. Either Del Potro is not fully back to his best or  Baghdatis played a blinder! Either way it looks good for Andy who just last week wipped the floor with his friend Baggy!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 31 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »