Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 3 - 6 (12%)
Murray in 4 - 25 (50%)
Murray in 5 - 9 (18%)
Federer in 3 - 1 (2%)
Federer in 4 - 6 (12%)
Federer in 5 - 0 (0%)
Comedy 7th option. - 3 (6%)
Total Voters: 50

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 58 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer

(Read 11652 times)
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #45 on: January 20, 2014, 04:21 PM »

Three tight sets is Andy favour got a funny feeling.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #46 on: January 20, 2014, 04:44 PM »

I would go as far as to say this is the first 50-50 match I've ever come across. They are both playing around the same level, its going to be extremely tough. Lets hope it produces on the day.
  Yes, I think thats fair. It could all be down to who blinks first.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #47 on: January 20, 2014, 04:48 PM »

Oh no! Agreeing with Boogers shocking And I can't bear Andy losing to Fed 
Neither can I BBH, it's a horrible thought, but I just don't feel he's completely back to normal  despite there being many of his usual signs of brilliance.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #48 on: January 20, 2014, 04:59 PM »

I'd feel more confident if it was Jo up next for Andy. The matches with Federer are nearly always close, and slam matches in particular have been difficult. But I'm just going to enjoy the match regardless and hope that Andy can win. If he does, great, if not, it's still been a successful tournament for him considering how few matches he's played in the last few months.

I've always liked the Fed/Andy matchup - they seem to bring out the best in each other. Should be good tennis.
IP Logged
althusser
Satellite Level

I Conquer

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #49 on: January 20, 2014, 05:05 PM »

can we send a message from MW to Andy for this match? Along the lines of 'you won Wimbledon for the British masses, please win this match for your hardcore fans'!! Smile

seriously though, I just hope he can give it everything to win this match and not think ahead. A win over smugface would bring lots of joy here regardless of whatever happens later
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #50 on: January 20, 2014, 05:16 PM »

If Federer plays like he did today... Fed in 4, probably.

When I went to bed last night, it was 3-3 in the 2nd set and my Aussie comms were saying that this is the best they had seen Fed play in the last 18 months. He had renewed his confidence. Surprised also that he was s & v.

Whatever, Andy will have to have his game face on. yes
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #51 on: January 20, 2014, 06:03 PM »

Am consoling myself with fact Jo played c***.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #52 on: January 20, 2014, 06:10 PM »

Talking of the Eurosport comms - surely we'll be spared the fawning commentary of Wilander and Bradnam.
They spent the Tsonga match trying to outdo each other with their overblown praises of Fed and Edberg. Absolutely ridiculous.

Best of luck, Andy <zen>

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #53 on: January 20, 2014, 06:19 PM »

Talking of the Eurosport comms - surely we'll be spared the fawning commentary of Wilander and Bradnam.
They spent the Tsonga match trying to outdo each other with their overblown praises of Fed and Edberg. Absolutely ridiculous.

Best of luck, Andy <zen>

I turned the match off because of the commentary. Wilander is a creep and Bradnam (Bradman??) is up himself.

I could sort of handle Reed and Brown again, if they play nicely and leave Andy alone, but I get the feeling we might get Frew and Reed with Wilander butting in from time to time. Wilander weeing himself every time Federer hits the ball. Can't wait......

My feeling is that Wilander picks on Andy because he doesn't like Lendl. I don't know why, but that's my feeling.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #54 on: January 20, 2014, 06:29 PM »

Yeah no more Reed and Brown now.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #55 on: January 20, 2014, 06:33 PM »

My feeling is that Wilander picks on Andy because he doesn't like Lendl. I don't know why, but that's my feeling.

I think you could well be right, teejay, - plus the fact that he can't accept that Andy has a positive h2h over St. Fed.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #56 on: January 20, 2014, 06:35 PM »

Indeed, it is unbearable to listen to Wilander. Asked for the biggest surprises so far, he named Serena's defeat and Fed's wonderful performance with his new racket and his display at the net which is such a joy to every tennis fan and now with Edberg in his box and so on and so forth. Will Andy have a chance?
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #57 on: January 20, 2014, 06:46 PM »

I didn't see the Fed-Tsonga match, and only glanced on Live Scores from time to time, but reading the reaction on social media etc, it does seem that Fed played well.  However, I am mindful that Fed arriving on court is met with fawning, so it's hard to gauge if he really was playing that well.

It was a routine, straight sets victory over a top player, so he was plainly playing well by any normal definition, but with the greatest respect to Jo, he can play brilliantly, but he's not got Andy's tactical ability.  Andy is much more capable than most of reading his opponents' game, and devising appropriate tactics.

Andy did say that things like shot selection is something that takes getting the hang of after a break, and with Andy still not 100% sure of which shots he can execute consistently, that does leave him a little vulnerable.   However, I still think Andy could be considerable thorn in Fed's side, especially if he is trying some flash new moves.

I also think Andy will be fired up for this match, and will be prepared to take action from the start.  He'll be far more motivated to stay in the moment than he has with previous opponents.

Then again, it is possible that Andy isn't quite ready for this level of test.  I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.  Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

I expect it will be the main night match on RLA.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #58 on: January 20, 2014, 06:51 PM »

As I did not see Fed play this morning, I cannot really judge if it was him who played so well or Tsonga who could not bring his A game. The voices on MW seem divided. What I can definitely say though is that I am already a bundle of nerves not wanting Fed to beat Andy.

I was only half watching while doing other stuff, but kept thinking Andy would have got shots that  Tsonga missed. Checking Jo's record last year, apart from a win against Nishikori in October (and a tired Simon this week) he hasn't had a win against a top 40 player since Roland Garros when he beat Fed.

I think he's had injury problems too, and also he didn't play a warm up tournament before the AO, so I'm not sure why I, for one, was expecting more of him today!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #59 on: January 20, 2014, 07:19 PM »

Tsonga played in in the Hopman Cup this year, but I've no idea how well he was playing there.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 58 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »