Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 3 - 6 (12%)
Murray in 4 - 25 (50%)
Murray in 5 - 9 (18%)
Federer in 3 - 1 (2%)
Federer in 4 - 6 (12%)
Federer in 5 - 0 (0%)
Comedy 7th option. - 3 (6%)
Total Voters: 50

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 58 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer

(Read 11052 times)
Elena
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #60 on: January 20, 2014, 07:25 PM »

Tsonga played in in the Hopman Cup this year, but I've no idea how well he was playing there.
That's true - had forgotten that - and France won apparently. It all seemed rather chaotic with players pulling out injured, but Tsonga must have got a few matches in

Edit: I see Tsonga beat Stepanek and Isner (who then pulled out) in straight sets. Needed three sets though to beat Munoz de la Nava (WR200), and Panfil (WR 284) in the final!
[ Last edit by Elena January 20, 2014, 07:52 PM ] IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #61 on: January 20, 2014, 07:31 PM »

Tsonga played in in the Hopman Cup this year, but I've no idea how well he was playing there.

Well France won the HC
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #62 on: January 20, 2014, 07:36 PM »

Berdych can have this theme:

lol  Enjoyed that.  Last time I heard that song was when it made the Top Ten of the UK charts in 1958. Whistle   Anyway I thought for a moment I'd wandered into a video contest by mistake. Rolling Eyes

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #63 on: January 20, 2014, 07:40 PM »

Tsonga was not at his best today, sure credit where its due Federer was hitting his groundstrokes really well and lookws a lot better than the end of last year.  We all know that Andy isn't as match tight and sharp due to the long lay off but he is getting there.  This morning he should have served it out but the first two and half sets he played really well that forehand is booming. 
Also he is one of the best defenders in the world but now can turn defence into offence and we all know how deep his determination is and he will be determined not to be beaten by the old one.
But whatver the outcome he has made a brilliant return to the court - much better than a lot of people were expecting - QF of the first major of the year is not a bad outcme after 4 months lay off.  It's hard to exercise caution but hopefully he does it on Wednesday but if not it's all good going forward as he is already hitting shots we have not seen for a while due to the back injury. 

Will be watching and keeping everything crossed and probably shouting several expletives at the TV but all things considered Andy Murray has done amazingly well to come back like he has.  I for one am just pleased he is back on a tennis court and pleased that he is playing some brilliant tennis - it could all have been so much worse.  But Come on Andy give it everything you've got come Wednesday.

Good posting!  You've said it all much better than I could, MM. Smile
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #64 on: January 20, 2014, 07:42 PM »

Fed has looked good thus far ... but still hard to gauge his level of play...due to the quality of opponent. I felt Tsonga did not do himself justice in the match with Fed...he can and has played far far better. He was very static v. fed.

That said, Andy will have to play better than he has thus far ...and be consistent throughout the match.
For much of the match v Robert he looked in different class entirely ..but then completely lost his focus and gave the opponent hope he should never have had. That 3rd set may be a blessing in disguise for Andy as he attempts to reach full match fitness.

Tough one to call.... ll go for Andy in 4 sets tho... but it could go either way.

IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #65 on: January 20, 2014, 07:43 PM »

PseudoFed's take on how the match will play out,for anyone interested lol

http://pseudofedblog.com/2014/01/20/why-i-dont-like-playing-the-murrays-qf-preview/
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #66 on: January 20, 2014, 07:47 PM »

I would love for Olympic Mode Andy to show up.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #67 on: January 20, 2014, 08:02 PM »

http://pseudofedblog.com/2014/01/20/why-i-dont-like-playing-the-murrays-qf-preview/

That was a gem, was just about to post it.

Anyway, I recall at start of tournie saying it was great to have Andy back, every match/win a bonus and I wouln't stress about the draw as if Andy got to the stage that  he was playing Fed and co then it meant he'd made at least the quarters and  at this stage in his ccomeback that woul be a great achievement. Anything after that woul be a lovely bonus. In my head, in my more rational moments I do believe this.

However ... nervous cmon yeah cmonandy nervous cmon yeah cmonandy nervous cmon yeah cmonandy

The highly competitive, emotional, ever hopeful Andy fan in me is still hoping against hope that it's not too soon in his comeback and he can keep it going - I've enjoyed my 'Breakfasts with Andy' and wouldn't mind another one on Sunday  nervous Fingers crossed nervous Fingers crossed nervous Fingers crossed
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #68 on: January 20, 2014, 08:03 PM »

Judy of the Murrays holding a racquet and pushing a cake trolley.    Priceless.     American spelling of favor.     I've noticed that before.   
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #69 on: January 20, 2014, 08:06 PM »

yeah that's what will be rquired I reckon. That smart agressive style of play. IfAndy is passive he will lose.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #70 on: January 20, 2014, 08:21 PM »

This match will tell us if Andy is back to his best. Or will he be outplayed as he was against Wawrinka at the USO? I'll go for Andy in 4.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #71 on: January 20, 2014, 08:26 PM »

Apparently the betting co TAB here in NZ have Fed as the favourite Eyebrow raise.

I suspect night match - advantage Fed straight away as Andy has commented that his back still stiffens when the temperature cools down.

Deep Heat at the ready! stretcher doctor

I will do H2H at lunch time Very Happy
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #72 on: January 20, 2014, 08:42 PM »

Skybet have the Fed as favourite.

Fed 4/5
Andy 1/1
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #73 on: January 20, 2014, 08:43 PM »

But they have Andy as more likely to win the tournament

Andy 9-1
Fed 12-1

I guess because they reckon Fed will have little chance physically to beat Andy. Rafa and Joker in consecutive matches.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #74 on: January 20, 2014, 08:44 PM »

Apparently the betting co TAB here in NZ have Fed as the favourite Eyebrow raise.

I suspect night match - advantage Fed straight away as Andy has commented that his back still stiffens when the temperature cools down.

Deep Heat at the ready! stretcher doctor

I will do H2H at lunch time Very Happy
A stiff back must be nothing compared to what he went through for 18 months.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 58 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »