Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 3 - 6 (12%)
Murray in 4 - 25 (50%)
Murray in 5 - 9 (18%)
Federer in 3 - 1 (2%)
Federer in 4 - 6 (12%)
Federer in 5 - 0 (0%)
Comedy 7th option. - 3 (6%)
Total Voters: 50

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 58 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer

(Read 11062 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « on: January 20, 2014, 11:10 AM »

When many first looked at the draw and saw Murray and Federer in the same quarter, with Tsonga being Federer's fourth round opponent, many expected Tsonga to upset Federer in a thrilling clash. Well, never count out Roger Federer. He dispatched of Tsonga with ease, 6-3 7-5 6-4 in just under 2 hours, facing only one break point the whole match and hitting 43 winners with an impressive 21 unforced errors to accompany it.

On the other side of this encounter, Andy Murray, who is still coming back after back surgery, has also been in imperious form, only losing one set in his previous match to Stephane Robert after serving for the match and squandering five match points, before taking it on the sixth in the fourth set. Andy's game has been clicking well; his groundstrokes have been piercing, and his serve deadly. Hitting winner counts well into the twenties or more, Andy looks like more of a contender than was initially predicted.

This is a rematch of last year's epic semi final and one that all tennis fans will be anticipating with overwhelming excitement, predominantly the fans of both players. Expect nothing but the best in this match.

* FEDMUR.jpg (736.74 KB, 1100x700 - viewed 58 times.)
[ Last edit by GangstaMurray January 20, 2014, 11:39 AM ] IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 11:19 AM »

If Federer plays like he did today... Fed in 4, probably.
IP Logged
Jade Fox

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 11:26 AM »

If Federer plays like he did today... Fed in 4, probably.

Really?  Roger didn't look that impressive to me.  His plan of rushing the net and being aggressive is not a new one for him to try. Just because it worked against Tsonga (an offensive minded player himself) doesn't mean it will work against someone who can defend really well. I think Andy will be ready for it and for Roger when the time comes.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 11:50 AM »

A disturbing statistic for Murray fans. Federer is 10-0 in Australian Open quarter-finals.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 11:53 AM »

I've gone bold with Murray in 3.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 11:59 AM »

Glad Fed won, much easier match for Andy and can't wait to see Andy take out the Old One yet again Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 12:05 PM »

Credit to Gangsta for the big build-up. All it needs now is some dramatic music Smile.

Tsonga was allowing Federer to dictate. Federer played well, but still.

I think there is always a level of emotion in Andy's matches with Federer, especially for Federer. If Andy can stay focused and pretty calm, or at least he can channel frustrations the right way, as he has so far, I think he can get under Federer's skin.

Andy has served well, returned very well for the most part of the tournament too. He's been really belting his forehand, and I think the backhand side has benefited from the surgery.

Andy is definitely a contender for the title. I make it that this will be his fifth quarter final in Australia alone. You also can't argue with the fact that Andy has been in the final of four of the last six majors, winning two, and that's without the Olympics.

Andy in four.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 12:12 PM »

The bookies have set Murray and Federer equal in the match and for the title now. It's gonna be a difficult run for Murray, Federer or Nadal to lift the title this year having to go through each other and also playing in the 2nd half of the draw.
[ Last edit by laundry January 20, 2014, 12:16 PM ] IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 12:12 PM »

Exciting!! First off congratulations to Andy, what a guy an excellent return following surgery and just reaching this stage is an achievement.

Fed played very well, however Jo let Fed play well he didnt offer much resistance at all, we've seen what Jo can do to Fed when he's on Whistle

I dont think any result would suprise me.  andy likes playing Fed and loves beating him even more, he'll be well up for it. Its just is his game there yet i guess only time will tell....
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 12:19 PM »

Looking forward to this match. Good luck Andy. cmon yeah

Can't wait already.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 12:23 PM »

Credit to Gangsta for the big build-up. All it needs now is some dramatic music Smile.

Tsonga was allowing Federer to dictate. Federer played well, but still.

I think there is always a level of emotion in Andy's matches with Federer, especially for Federer. If Andy can stay focused and pretty calm, or at least he can channel frustrations the right way, as he has so far, I think he can get under Federer's skin.

Andy has served well, returned very well for the most part of the tournament too. He's been really belting his forehand, and I think the backhand side has benefited from the surgery.

Andy is definitely a contender for the title. I make it that this will be his fifth quarter final in Australia alone. You also can't argue with the fact that Andy has been in the final of four of the last six majors, winning two, and that's without the Olympics.

Andy in four.

This dramatic enough?

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 12:27 PM »

This dramatic enough?

No, it needs something classical, something a bit 'in yer face' and bold.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 12:28 PM »

I find this incredibly dramatic, I dance very dramatically to it in my room.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 12:44 PM »

Exciting to be there for this! Can't wait. Very Happy
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Roger Federer « Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 12:50 PM »

I think it's a little too dramatic though, Federer isn't worthy of such a piece. Save it for when Andy faces Nadal and Djokovic I think.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 58 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »