Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Australian Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Stephane Robert 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 3 - 28 (90.3%)
Murray in 4 - 3 (9.7%)
Murray in 5 - 0 (0%)
Robert in 3 - 0 (0%)
Robert in 4 - 0 (0%)
Robert in 5 - 0 (0%)
Comedy 7th option. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 31

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Stephane Robert

(Read 3986 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Australian Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Stephane Robert « Reply #45 on: January 19, 2014, 05:55 PM »

Take the point about Andy not having sufficient match play on RLA but I'm sure he'll manage to practise on it and he's familiar with it so I don't see it as a mega problem really.
Andy was practising on RLA before the tournament started.  Don't know why some folk are fussing about which court he plays on anyway.  The very fact that he's actually playing, and got to R4 as well, is more important to me.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Stephane Robert « Reply #46 on: January 19, 2014, 06:07 PM »

It's more important to me too, and I'm definitely not fussing.  However, I do think that there is an advantage, albeit a small one, to the player with the most match practice on that court, especially at the business end of things. 

If there were no benefit, Andy wouldn't bother practising there in the first place.  I don't see what's wrong with saying so.  I certainly understand and accept the scheduling, but it doesn't mean we can't make observations!   Fair enough if you think there is no difference between the courts, or that it's so small no-one notices.  I don't think the difference is huge, but by the business end of things, it's all about the margins, and that's one of many.

I know Andy gets the benefit of this when he's facing lower ranked opposition, so it would be hypocritical to be outraged because he's on the wrong end of it. 
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Australian Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Stephane Robert « Reply #47 on: January 19, 2014, 06:10 PM »

Andy was practising on RLA before the tournament started.  Don't know why some folk are fussing about which court he plays on anyway.  The very fact that he's actually playing, and got to R4 as well, is more important to me.
   Couldn't agree more Aileen. As ever the voice of common sense. Andy has little to complain of in his run at the AO this year, and he wouldn't waste his time and energy on that anyway.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Stephane Robert « Reply #48 on: January 19, 2014, 06:23 PM »

The only difference in courts at the AO may be speed. But I doubt one of the other show courts is going to have a speed difference espescially when top seeds are often on one of the other show courts at the AO.

It's most likely the outer show courts from court 3 onwards that are faster because the main show courts are slower to protect the seeds as much as possible.

Also I don't think there's anything else Andy could have an issue with about the courts because they are identical in dimensions apparently. He doesn't like Armstrong at the USO because the run back on the baseline is significantly smaller than Ashe, no issues like that at AO
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Australian Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Stephane Robert « Reply #49 on: January 19, 2014, 06:23 PM »

It's more important to me too, and I'm definitely not fussing.  However, I do think that there is an advantage, albeit a small one, to the player with the most match practice on that court, especially at the business end of things.  

If there were no benefit, Andy wouldn't bother practising there in the first place.  I don't see what's wrong with saying so.  I certainly understand and accept the scheduling, but it doesn't mean we can't make observations!   Fair enough if you think there is no difference between the courts, or that it's so small no-one notices.  I don't think the difference is huge, but by the business end of things, it's all about the margins, and that's one of many.

I know Andy gets the benefit of this when he's facing lower ranked opposition, so it would be hypocritical to be outraged because he's on the wrong end of it.  
I was only making an observation too, but I do accept that what may not be apparent to us is apparent to the players for whom the slightest difference in court conditions could determine whether they win or lose a vital match.

He doesn't like Armstrong at the USO because the run back on the baseline is significantly smaller than Ashe, no issues like that at AO
Thanks.  I didn't know that was the reason he disliked Armstrong.
[ Last edit by Aileen January 19, 2014, 06:43 PM ] IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Stephane Robert « Reply #50 on: January 19, 2014, 06:41 PM »

We all fuss about different things.    I am amazed at the number of Mwers who are almost apoplectic about the comms.  I hardly know one from the other and barely listen to them anyway, especially if they keep repeating themselves.    I just shut it out.   I did hear one of them at the Lopez match remark, after Andy hit a backhand,
"He didn't touch his back that time" which I thought was very funny.    When he remarked on what Andy didn't do it must mean he had gone on ad nauseam about his back but it hadn't registered with me.   
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Stephane Robert « Reply #51 on: January 19, 2014, 07:37 PM »

Play it in the local park as long as Andy wins that's all that matters.  Let the others preen themselves while he sneaks in under the radar and let's his tennis do the talking.  Its only my opinion but isn't it the tennis that matters. 
IP Logged
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: Australian Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Stephane Robert « Reply #52 on: January 19, 2014, 07:59 PM »

think i will have to try find radio that has the tennis on i will be leaving for work at 5 30ish
good luck andy just do your best thats all we ask
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Australian Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Stephane Robert « Reply #53 on: January 19, 2014, 08:05 PM »

think i will have to try find radio that has the tennis on i will be leaving for work at 5 30ish
good luck andy just do your best thats all we ask
   5Live will have it. It's on the local FM frequency through the night till about 0600 probably.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Stephane Robert « Reply #54 on: January 19, 2014, 08:15 PM »

5Live will have it. It's on the local FM frequency through the night till about 0600 probably.

5live is now on FM?

I thought it was still MW
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Australian Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Stephane Robert « Reply #55 on: January 19, 2014, 08:29 PM »

LETS GO ANDY  Very Happy
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Australian Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Stephane Robert « Reply #56 on: January 19, 2014, 08:34 PM »

Having had a look again at the schedule, now that doubles matches have been put up (they weren't earlier) I'll be a bit surprised if this match does start at 5:30am.  The only guarantee is that it won't start before then.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Stephane Robert « Reply #57 on: January 19, 2014, 08:35 PM »

Aileen the doubles matches are best of 3.
IP Logged
eeyorebob
Futures Level

"I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar"

Re: Australian Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Stephane Robert « Reply #58 on: January 19, 2014, 08:36 PM »

I wondered why that was, but then realised its only at Wimbledon that the doubles (men) are best of 5 - I still dont actually know why though
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Australian Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Stephane Robert « Reply #59 on: January 19, 2014, 08:39 PM »

I wondered why that was, but then realised its only at Wimbledon that the doubles (men) are best of 5 - I still dont actually know why though
Cause,them are the  rulez
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »