Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Today, 12:00 Midnight BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Australian Open 2014 R1: Andy Murray vs Go Soeda 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 3 - 26 (74.3%)
Murray in 4 - 6 (17.1%)
Murray in 5 - 0 (0%)
Soeda in 3 - 0 (0%)
Soeda in 4 - 0 (0%)
Soeda in 5 - 1 (2.9%)
Comedy 7th option. - 2 (5.7%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 15 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2014 R1: Andy Murray vs Go Soeda

(Read 5029 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Australian Open 2014 R1: Andy Murray vs Go Soeda « on: January 10, 2014, 12:21 AM »

After last year's final run, Andy is back in Melbourne Park looking to lift the trophy at the end of the tournament. To start his campaign, he faces Japanese player Go Soeda. This will be their first meeting and Soeda is a good player, but I expect no troubles here for Andy.
[ Last edit by GangstaMurray January 14, 2014, 08:55 PM ] IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Autralian Open 2014 R1: Andy Murray vs Go Soeda « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 08:14 AM »

I get confused, because it looks like all of the pundits are urging Soeda to get on with it! lol
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Autralian Open 2014 R1: Andy Murray vs Go Soeda « Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 01:49 PM »

Soeda is solid with good flat groundstrokes and not too many UE's.  Could take Andy a while to break him down - maybe a tight 1st Set.  Watched Soeda against Baggy at USO (only because Laura was on afterwards) and took Baggy a while to get on top but he still won in 3.

Could be a good match for Andy to find some rhythm
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Autralian Open 2014 R1: Andy Murray vs Go Soeda « Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 06:47 PM »

That's good insight, thanks. Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Autralian Open 2014 R1: Andy Murray vs Go Soeda « Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 06:50 PM »

do we know yet which day this match will be?  And if not, when the schedule will be published?
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Autralian Open 2014 R1: Andy Murray vs Go Soeda « Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 06:52 PM »

do we know yet which day this match will be?  And if not, when the schedule will be published?

Don't know when order of play is released, and not sure what day this will be played on.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Autralian Open 2014 R1: Andy Murray vs Go Soeda « Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 09:25 PM »

ok thanks anyway for the reply gangsta.  I guess it could be some time tomorrow  as the main tournament starts around midnight Sunday GMT I think
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Autralian Open 2014 R1: Andy Murray vs Go Soeda « Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 03:32 AM »

Soeda is solid with good flat groundstrokes and not too many UE's.  Could take Andy a while to break him down - maybe a tight 1st Set.  Watched Soeda against Baggy at USO (only because Laura was on afterwards) and took Baggy a while to get on top but he still won in 3.

Could be a good match for Andy to find some rhythm
Thanks for that, Mackem. Smile  I can only cite what's in Soeda's Wiki -

"Soeda is an offensive counterpuncher. Due to his relatively small size (5'10), Soeda lacks the power and stature to effectively dictate points. Instead, he relies on quickness of feet to retrieve opponent's shots, as well as a relatively flat, penetrating two-handed backhand.  Soeda plays a conventional style of tennis, approaching and finishing points at the net when possible."

Well if likes going up to the net hopefully that will encourage Andy to do the same, but as the weather looks set to be extremely hot and humid next week with sunshine all day Monday and Tuesday (34C on Mon rising to 41C on Tues (surely they'll close the roof?)), I'd expect Andy to be looking to keep the points as short as possible.  With any luck though he might get a night match.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Autralian Open 2014 R1: Andy Murray vs Go Soeda « Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 12:18 PM »

I'd say Rafa - Tomic will be the night match
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Autralian Open 2014 R1: Andy Murray vs Go Soeda « Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 02:17 PM »

Don't know when order of play is released, and not sure what day this will be played on.

Monday's OOP out.    Andy plays Tuesday.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Autralian Open 2014 R1: Andy Murray vs Go Soeda « Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 03:26 PM »

I just hope that, if he doesn't get a night match, and I think Westie is right, then they close the roof.  I thought they were obliged to do so when the temp reached 36C, but according to their Extreme Heat Policy the decision to do so is taken by the referee, and that at a point where he considers it undesirable that play continue on the outside courts.  The levels of heat stress are determined by what is called the Wet Bulb Globe Temperature Index - and if anyone wants to try to work that out, feel free to so! - http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/heatstress/measuring/wetbulb.htm
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Autralian Open 2014 R1: Andy Murray vs Go Soeda « Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 03:26 PM »

Monday's OOP out.    Andy plays Tuesday.
thanks iluvandy not that I'll be able to watch but I'll know when to record the highlights.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Autralian Open 2014 R1: Andy Murray vs Go Soeda « Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 06:49 AM »

I wonder which court Andy will be on Think Nadal (prob night match) and Federer also playing that day.

Anyhow cmonandy

And just to get things off on the right footing, a H2H Whistle even though they've never played one another (too good a shirt opportunity not to take advantage of) cmon yeah

* Murray vs Soeda.jpg (127.99 KB, 732x596 - viewed 343 times.)
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Autralian Open 2014 R1: Andy Murray vs Go Soeda « Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 06:55 AM »

Regarding the extreme heat, when we arrived last year on the Thursday, it was 40 degrees and matches were carrying on regardless.  I believe Andy played that day, either on RLA or in Hisense.  I don't remember the roof of either being closed.

They did say in the draw on Friday that if any match is stopped for extreme heat, then its at the end of a set, so if a match has just started, it's a bit tough on the competitors.  fainting stretcher cheers
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Autralian Open 2014 R1: Andy Murray vs Go Soeda « Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 09:52 AM »

Andy plays hisense at 5pm melbourne time which I think is 7am uk time?

Thanks Bev Wink
[ Last edit by angiebabez January 12, 2014, 10:19 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 15 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »