Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 3 - 19 (57.6%)
Murray in 4 - 11 (33.3%)
Murray in 5 - 1 (3%)
Lopez in 3 - 0 (0%)
Lopez in 4 - 1 (3%)
Lopez in 5 - 1 (3%)
Comedy 7th option. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 46 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez

(Read 6956 times)
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #30 on: January 16, 2014, 04:01 PM »

Gangsta it takes at least two people to make an argument,
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 04:01 PM »

If gangsta hadn't introduced his negative take on the last match, we wouldn't be discussing his view of that match in this thread now would we? 
How about accepting Masaka's olive branch?
It's a fine day when Virginia Wade shows more understanding of and empathy with Andy's situation than the perpetrator of this thread.  Whistle
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 04:03 PM »

If gangsta hadn't introduced his negative take on the last match, we wouldn't be discussing his view of that match in this thread now would we? 
How about accepting Masaka's olive branch?
It's a fine day when Virginia Wade shows more understanding of and empathy with Andy's situation than the perpetrator of this thread.  Whistle

I promised a ponies and rainbows 2014 where I would not let my disgust for particular posts get the better of me. But perhaps you should shut up and accept peoples views for what they are. It was honest, not negative.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 04:06 PM »

If Andy were to read this thread..

IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 04:07 PM »

That's me at the moment.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 04:07 PM »

Somehow I don't think Andy is as worried about comments people make about him on the internet.

Personally I think he'd laugh reading this thread.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 04:07 PM »

No I won't 'shut up' as you so elegantly put it.  I'm not disputing your view was honest - the point people are making is that it was inappropriate to colour the start of a new match thread with it.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 04:09 PM »

No I won't 'shut up' as you so elegantly put it.  I'm not disputing your view was honest - the point people are making is that it was inappropriate to colour the start of a new match thread with it.

I have always started threads in such ways, whether good or bad. It seems rather desperate that individuals bring it up now when they have a distinct lack of evidence playing into their hands.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 04:13 PM »

If you've followed Murray long enough then you should be aware that matches like last night's are pretty commonplace, none of us should be surprised by it, if your mindset before the match started was that it would be a cake walk because the guy is ranked outside the top 200 then you should slap yourself and wake up.

This has already been pointed out by Grabcopy i believe, but these guys are more than capable of hitting a ball over a net on a regular basis, the only thing that seperates the truly great players from the journeymen is mentality. These guys are more than capable of upping their game, just as much as the top players are more than capable of drifting out of a match they looked like winning easily.

If i was a top player, i'd probably drop my intensity if i was winning a match without really trying, these type of matches can be quite tricky so i would suggest (speaking as a murray fan) that he did rather well in the end to win it in 3 sets from set point down, at the end of the day, that is what Andy, Lendl and the rest of his team will focus on more than anything else that went on in the match.

Andy himself said he didn't play great, and any observer would agree, i think Gangsta is only calling it like he saw it, it was a pretty dire encounter, but the last set was why we all support the guy, well for me anyway.
[ Last edit by The Gnome January 16, 2014, 04:17 PM ] IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 04:21 PM »

If you've followed Murray long enough then you should be aware that matches like last night's are pretty commonplace, none of us should be surprised by it, if your mindset before the match started was that it would be a cake walk because the guy is ranked outside the top 200 then you should slap yourself and wake up.

This has already been pointed out by Grabcopy i believe, but these guys are more than capable of hitting a ball over a net on a regular basis, the only thing that seperates the truly great players from the journeymen is mentality. These guys are more than capable of upping their game, just as much as the top players are more than capable of drifting out of a match they looked like winning easily.

If i was a top player, i'd probably drop my intensity if i was winning a match without really trying, these type of matches can be quite tricky so i would suggest (speaking as a murray fan) that he did rather well in the end to win it in 3 sets from set point down, at the end of the day, that is what Andy, Lendl and the rest of his team will focus on more than anything else that went on in the match.

Andy himself said he didn't play great, and any observer would agree, i think Gangsta is only calling it like he saw it, it was a pretty dire encounter, but the last set was why we all support the guy, well for me anyway.

Correct, and mediocre doesn't always mean it was just bad. I've often used it to refer to a variation of quality in a match, while still remaining quite average.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #40 on: January 16, 2014, 04:26 PM »

It's me too, reading this thread.

When I joined MW in Jan 2012  Bev started most of the match threads with a proper H2H with fun pictures, and a bit of background info. Now it just seems a mad dash to get a thread started before anyone else does.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, 04:28 PM »

It's me too, reading this thread.

When I joined MW in Jan 2012  Bev started most of the match threads with a proper H2H with fun pictures, and a bit of background info. Now it just seems a mad dash to get a thread started before anyone else does.

Is background information really needed? We know everything about Andy and quite a lot about Lopez. Plus Bev does the H2H and I won't be taking that away from her.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 04:30 PM »

Is background information really needed? We know everything about Andy and quite a lot about Lopez. Plus Bev does the H2H and I won't be taking that away from her.

But the H2H now gets lost several pages into the thread.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 04:35 PM »

Gangsta, I like background information about the other player or at least something interesting about them. Would be appreciated from my side. Smile
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #44 on: January 16, 2014, 04:38 PM »

How I would have started this thread

After an easy first round match against Go Soeda Murray tackled the French qualifier Vincent Millot in R2. The first two sets followed the expected path, with a few wobbles, and Murray seemingly a bit out of sorts, but still managing to prevail 6:2, 6:2. The 3rd set was extremely odd, with Murray opting to treat his opponent to an exercise in complete cruelty. He allowed Millot to reach the tantalising point of believing he could actually take a set off the Wimbledon champion, and possibly cause a complete upset. At set point however Murray decided that he was bored with toying with his opponent and didn't want to play a 4th set after all. He then proceeded to take the next 6 games, not dropping a point to win the match.

Feliciano Lopez awaits in R3. The H2H is 7:0 in Murray's favour, but their last encounter at the US Open in 2012 went to four tight sets. The recovering Murray is unlikely to take him lightly.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 46 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »