Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 3 - 19 (57.6%)
Murray in 4 - 11 (33.3%)
Murray in 5 - 1 (3%)
Lopez in 3 - 0 (0%)
Lopez in 4 - 1 (3%)
Lopez in 5 - 1 (3%)
Comedy 7th option. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez

(Read 7661 times)
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #645 on: January 18, 2014, 08:34 PM »

Well played Andy , just catching up , as away at mo just got wifi . Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #646 on: January 18, 2014, 08:44 PM »

Yes I expect that's right but what gets me is that ALL the players wince and complain as they play - it is a hard physical game - but every twitch of Andy is endlessly picked over.

I do think Wade and co have generally been positive, very positive at times. Even Simon Reed, commentating on Andy a lot this week, has almost been beside himself at times when Andy has played. Still can't stand Reed though!

That said, sometimes it does feel like they wait to pounce on Andy in the way they don't with certain others. It's as if Nadal has never double faulted in his life, Djokovic has never made a mess when serving a match out, and Federer uttering a dirty word is unheard of. None of the above have ever pulled a face at a twinge, God forbid! Meanwhile, Andy, apparently, tics and stresses all over the place.

The way I see it is that they sometimes need something to talk about. They can't have the 'when will Andy win/why hasn't Andy won a slam debate anymore, so they need something.

Credit where it's due though. I nearly died when Wade was nice. She's obviously been practising Wink.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #647 on: January 18, 2014, 10:19 PM »

even worse
Thanks Prod, fun to see these things happening. In fact Andy did a dodgy serve to me last year, so I got a second chance - not everyone can say that....

I've only seen brief highlights of Andy's match, but it looks like it ended with a Lopez shank
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #648 on: January 18, 2014, 10:43 PM »

I do think Wade and co have generally been positive, very positive at times. Even Simon Reed, commentating on Andy a lot this week, has almost been beside himself at times when Andy has played. Still can't stand Reed though!

That said, sometimes it does feel like they wait to pounce on Andy in the way they don't with certain others. It's as if Nadal has never double faulted in his life, Djokovic has never made a mess when serving a match out, and Federer uttering a dirty word is unheard of. None of the above have ever pulled a face at a twinge, God forbid! Meanwhile, Andy, apparently, tics and stresses all over the place.

The way I see it is that they sometimes need something to talk about. They can't have the 'when will Andy win/why hasn't Andy won a slam debate anymore, so they need something.

Credit where it's due though. I nearly died when Wade was nice. She's obviously been practising Wink.

What I don't understand is why we get Reed and this Nick Brown guy who I'd never even heard of before the AO, even though Eurosport International were covering the match with English commentary already. It seems like an extreme waste of resources to have two sets of comms on the same match!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #649 on: January 18, 2014, 10:50 PM »

What I don't understand is why we get Reed and this Nick Brown guy who I'd never even heard of before the AO, even though Eurosport International were covering the match with English commentary already. It seems like an extreme waste of resources to have two sets of comms on the same match!

I only know Nick Brown from commentary on Eurosport, this year and other years. As to your other point, I agree. It does seem like a waste. You'd think in this day and age they could use the same comms for both, if they are English speaking.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #650 on: January 19, 2014, 12:35 AM »

I think the comms etc are being a bit silly about Andy's back. Andy was playing in pain for two years. He's just back from surgery, so he will be aware of anything he feels in the back. I don't believe him touching the back is a tic, it seems to me more like he is very aware. The fact that he can then move on and play brilliantly strikes me as the point.
For once I was very grateful to have no option other than to watch livestreams for most tournaments because I had a wonderful commentary-free stream for both the Soeda and this match.  I seriously dislike the Eurosport comms at the best of times, and I wasn't so lucky with the Millot match, so ended up turning the sound off because Reed and Brown were doing my head in going on and on about Andy's back, and it turned out later that this was the least of his worries that day anyway.

Andy said after this match that some soreness and stiffness were only to be expected as his back, and his body in general, get used to the stresses and strains of playing competitively again, but that his recovery time had been good, so if Andy says he's happy with the way his back is holding up then that's good enough for me.  Also just watching him play I get a sense of complete freedom, something which has been missing for a very long time.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #651 on: January 19, 2014, 01:56 AM »

Decent performance by Andy in winning this match. It began with neither player playing well...then the quality improved from later in the 1st set. Ended with one of the most comfortable wins Vs Lopez for Andy.

I think the most important thing is Andy's match fitness ...which I think is steadily improving. The comms seemed to be as distracted by Andy touching his lower back as they claim Andy was. Wish the comms would stop going on about that and focus on the tennis. Problem with most of the comms is that they are ex players who achieved Ltd success compared to Andy...so they are not in best position to be telling Andy what he should or shouldnt do. If it was the likes of Bjorg commenting I might actually pay attention to what is being said.

Also dunno why so many people are assuming Andy will meet Fed in the Qtrs. Tsonga is playing well I think...and Fed's form is very hard to gauge coz of the level of player he has beaten. I have a feeling Tsonga will beat Fed.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #652 on: January 19, 2014, 02:02 AM »

Could be wishful thinking, but I've a feeling Tsonga will beat Fed too.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #653 on: January 19, 2014, 02:37 AM »

He probably will.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #654 on: January 19, 2014, 07:07 AM »

Hopefully a 5 setter.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #655 on: January 19, 2014, 07:16 AM »

Go Jo! Deffo a 4 hour 5 set killer Whistle
Brown and Reed are simply yuk
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #656 on: January 19, 2014, 07:39 AM »

abf: good point about most comms being retired mediocre [and here the use of the word is appropriate!] players who are not in a good position to say how Andy should play - not that that stops them much of the time!
The other thing that drove me mad is how they kept going on about Andy not smiling during the match.  Could they tell me how often Rafa smiles during a match however well he's doing?  He has a look of grim determination on his face.   They're not there to please the crowd with smiles but with their tennis and more importantly to win.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #657 on: January 19, 2014, 07:49 AM »

abf: good point about most comms being retired mediocre [and here the use of the word is appropriate!] players who are not in a good position to say how Andy should play - not that that stops them much of the time!

Annabel Croft is one of the worst offenders for that in my eyes. I can cope with Tim H, don't mind Andrew Castle, like Mark Petchey or Greg Rusedski, by and large I find them supportive of Mr M, but Croft was completely useless as a player.

I am enjoying Eurosport matches much more now I mute the commentary.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #658 on: January 19, 2014, 07:54 AM »

I've thought of doing that Masaka but then one can't hear the ball and I find it weird not being able to do so.  I'd put R5 live commentary on instead but it's not in sync with the tv.  I really enjoyed putting the R5 commentary on for Wimbledon via the red button as that was in sync and it was still possible to hear the ball.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #659 on: January 19, 2014, 07:57 AM »

I've thought of doing that Masaka but then one can't hear the ball and I find it weird not being able to do so.  I'd put R5 live commentary on instead but it's not in sync with the tv.  I really enjoyed putting the R5 commentary on for Wimbledon via the red button as that was in sync and it was still possible to hear the ball.

Hadn't thought of that. Being quite deaf I can't always distinguish sounds so the ball doesn't always register with me anyway.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »