Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 3 - 19 (57.6%)
Murray in 4 - 11 (33.3%)
Murray in 5 - 1 (3%)
Lopez in 3 - 0 (0%)
Lopez in 4 - 1 (3%)
Lopez in 5 - 1 (3%)
Comedy 7th option. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez

(Read 7136 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #660 on: January 19, 2014, 08:28 AM »

I've thought of doing that Masaka but then one can't hear the ball and I find it weird not being able to do so.  I'd put R5 live commentary on instead but it's not in sync with the tv.  I really enjoyed putting the R5 commentary on for Wimbledon via the red button as that was in sync and it was still possible to hear the ball.

Talking about R5 on the red button, I almost wish I'd done that for the Wimbledon final. JO's commentary was great.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #661 on: January 19, 2014, 08:44 AM »

yes it certainly added to the enjoyment tj.  I miss JO as he used to get so excited when Andy did well.  I still love to hear his reaction to Andy beating smugfed at the Olympics.  As 5 live commentators have to convey what is actually happening to someone not watching they tend not to waste time speculating about back, facial expression etc
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #662 on: January 19, 2014, 08:56 AM »

yes it certainly added to the enjoyment tj.  I miss JO as he used to get so excited when Andy did well.  I still love to hear his reaction to Andy beating smugfed at the Olympics.  As 5 live commentators have to convey what is actually happening to someone not watching they tend not to waste time speculating about back, facial expression etc

I remember the USO one especially, I've heard clips of that and the Olympics. I thought JO was going to burst, which adds to the whole feel of it.

The radio commentary with TV pics would be good for me. I find matches harder to follow on the radio alone, especially with Andy. I get more edgy when I can't see it Smile.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #663 on: January 19, 2014, 09:01 AM »

Could be wishful thinking, but I've a feeling Tsonga will beat Fed too.

Yes, I think so too. Tsonga is playing well just now.

I wonder who Andy would prefer to play. He's obviously got a winning record over both.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #664 on: January 19, 2014, 01:37 PM »

I remember the USO one especially, I've heard clips of that and the Olympics. I thought JO was going to burst, which adds to the whole feel of it.

The radio commentary with TV pics would be good for me. I find matches harder to follow on the radio alone, especially with Andy. I get more edgy when I can't see it Smile.
I agree tj.  I don't like listening on the radio really unless eg in a car and it's the only option.  But I do think the running commentary is first class as can't be easy to keep up especially when the courts are playing faster.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #665 on: January 19, 2014, 01:44 PM »

I think Federer is the weaker opponent right now, would be worse for Andy to play Tsonga.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #666 on: January 19, 2014, 03:24 PM »

Haven't seen Fed play? How's he looking? Saw a bit of Jo thumping Simon, but as he was by then a spent force, not much of a clue.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #667 on: January 19, 2014, 03:46 PM »

abf: good point about most comms being retired mediocre [and here the use of the word is appropriate!] players who are not in a good position to say how Andy should play - not that that stops them much of the time!
The other thing that drove me mad is how they kept going on about Andy not smiling during the match.  Could they tell me how often Rafa smiles during a match however well he's doing?  He has a look of grim determination on his face.   They're not there to please the crowd with smiles but with their tennis and more importantly to win.

I've said this before, Rafa at times can look like someone who won the lottery but lost the ticket, same with Federer, i don't know why Andy gets singled out in this regard, he's a tennis player not a clown.

I actually like Andy's on court persona, he looks liek he means business and i chuckle when he berates himself
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #668 on: January 19, 2014, 03:53 PM »

Haven't seen Fed play? How's he looking? Saw a bit of Jo thumping Simon, but as he was by then a spent force, not much of a clue.

It's hard to gauge Federer's form considering he's played his first 3 matches against Johnny nobodies.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #669 on: January 19, 2014, 04:07 PM »

I've just been reading a piece in the Telegraph online, which I think was by Simon Briggs. The article is mostly about Andy's 4th round match, and about the third round against Lopez, but it gave out some info I thought was good to know. Apparently Andy's returning stats have been the best in the tournament. The article doesn't give the actual stats, but I just thought it was a good to know because Andy is known as one of the best returners in the game. Nice to know that in spite of his time out, he is still on the ball, so to speak.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #670 on: January 19, 2014, 04:25 PM »

Andy berating himself makes me laugh too - it's very down to earth and he doesn't hold back on what he thinks of himself. No airs and graces!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #671 on: January 19, 2014, 04:35 PM »

not seen him play a match as such but heard the studio comms talking about him and they seem impressed by the impact of his new racquet and coach [and does anyone else think that Edberg looks like Tony Blair these days??].  Seems he's playing with renewed confidence and also seems to be attributing his loss of form last year to his back, which is now ok it seems.  So it will be interesting to see how he does against real opposition.  Go Jo go.   yay
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #672 on: January 19, 2014, 04:37 PM »

Andy berating himself makes me laugh too - it's very down to earth and he doesn't hold back on what he thinks of himself. No airs and graces!

I think it's a good sign, shows he's keen. I've loved the way he's berated himself at times, but then got straight back to work. In the past the berating could turn to real frustration and distract him, but it doesn't now.

The highlight of this AO for me so far was watching Andy get annoyed when Millot got cocky and then put him in his place by winning 23 consecutive points. Now that made me laugh!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #673 on: January 19, 2014, 04:38 PM »

[and does anyone else think that Edberg looks like Tony Blair these days??]. 

Yes! Tragic, but true!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs Feliciano Lopez « Reply #674 on: January 19, 2014, 04:39 PM »

I think there's a big difference between Andy berating himself, which serves to motivate himself, and yelling at his box, which thank goodness he rarely does these days.  Always remember Agassi writing in his autobiography that the reason tennis players talk to themselves on court [and Andy is hardly alone in this] is that it's damn lonely out there.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »