Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Raonic will be a difficult opponent, so predictions please
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Raonic in 2
Raonic in 3
Undecided

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 ... 37 Go Down Reply
Author

Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic

(Read 10349 times)
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #450 on: April 28, 2012, 03:33 PM »

Watching the Match at the moment between Ferrer and Milos bears out what I was saying that here we have a player meeting Milos for the 4th time and you can see how Ferrer is able to return Milos serve and able to put pressure on him.
Re Lendl I have never read so much twaddle, Andy is happy with having Ivan there, he has said on a number of occasions how having him there makes him feel calm. Also I've seen a lot of communication between Lendl and the team from their sitting area. Lendl will always put on a straight face when the cameras are on him. What matters is what he says before and after a match and what they are working between them. They are already talking about next year and Andy has said his team are working on another contract. He also said we wouldn't see the Lendl effect straight away would take about a year. He's not looking for a magic switch so why should we.

Exactly Michelle!   Good posting!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #451 on: April 28, 2012, 03:48 PM »

^Exactly but the previous posts re Andy winning at RG, maybe Andy should just go away for a holiday if he's not going to win a particular tournament................and before anyone posts saying that's daft- exactly!!!!! Rolling Eyes
I am really not bothered whether Andy wins a Slam this year or next, because the fact is that I think he will win at least one before the end of his career.  He did say in a recent interview that he wasn't even contemplating ending his career without winning one, so the desire is obviously there - and that's half the battle.  The rest will surely come.
IP Logged
Jayel
Junior

IT JUST GETS BETTER

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #452 on: April 28, 2012, 03:54 PM »

Raonic's level especially on serve was way down today as against yesterday. Against Andy 1st serve percentage was 65% with 1st serve points at 84%  ... today 59 and 70% ... but he was still tough to beat. Conclusions .... make of it what you will, but I feel that today Andy would have got his measure before it was too late.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #453 on: April 28, 2012, 05:25 PM »

Raonic's level especially on serve was way down today as against yesterday. Against Andy 1st serve percentage was 65% with 1st serve points at 84%  ... today 59 and 70% ... but he was still tough to beat. Conclusions .... make of it what you will, but I feel that today Andy would have got his measure before it was too late.
I tend towards the same view.  The first set was always going to be difficult, and it won't be the first time Andy's lost that but has come back to take the match.  That 2nd set TB was most unfortunate, especially as Raonic wasn't always winning points on his 1st serve.  Had Andy's serve been firing the outcome would, I'm sure, have been different.
IP Logged
RositaK
Junior

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #454 on: April 28, 2012, 07:08 PM »

Milos is improving all the time. I totally expected him to lose to Almagro. Then was completely stunned to see him beat Andy. In straights. Then he takes Ferru to the limit. For a Canadian like me he is very impressive indeed. We haven't had a decent player in singles for a very long time. I'm really proud of him, his calm attitude and courteous behaviour. I hope he continues to improve.

Re: Lendl. If Andy's results don't improve by the USO I expect Lendl and Andy will part ways.
IP Logged
steve bywaters
Junior

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #455 on: April 28, 2012, 08:28 PM »

I am really not bothered whether Andy wins a Slam this year or next, because the fact is that I think he will win at least one before the end of his career.  He did say in a recent interview that he wasn't even contemplating ending his career without winning one, so the desire is obviously there - and that's half the battle.  The rest will surely come.

Yeah its been coming for years. What a lot of tosh
It's not even funny anymore watching him on clay he's so bad. Yet to reach a final, never beaten a top 8 player and all on his "favourite surface". How can anyone think he's hope in hell at the French .Well at least he's got someone to blame now

IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #456 on: April 28, 2012, 09:06 PM »

It's not even funny anymore watching him on clay he's so bad. Yet to reach a final, never beaten a top 8 player and all on his "favourite surface". How can anyone think he's hope in hell at the French .Well at least he's got someone to blame now

Steve, could you just clarify where this "favourite surface" quote comes from?
Thanks.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #457 on: April 29, 2012, 12:56 AM »

Milos is improving all the time. I totally expected him to lose to Almagro. Then was completely stunned to see him beat Andy. In straights. Then he takes Ferru to the limit. For a Canadian like me he is very impressive indeed. We haven't had a decent player in singles for a very long time. I'm really proud of him, his calm attitude and courteous behaviour. I hope he continues to improve.
I must admit I'm a big fan of Milos.  His mental strength and determination to succeed is quite astonishing and I think he did entirely the right thing by having hip surgery when he did even although he was told it was something that could be delayed.  But as he said it made sense for him to have the procedure carried out while he was still young and therefore likely to heal quickly.  Also better to get it out of the way early in his career rather than have it interrupted at a later and possibly more crucial stage.  His game has certainly improved even since the beginning of the year, presumably thanks to his Spanish coach.  If he can keep going like this I can see him in the top 10 by the end of the year.

Re: Lendl. If Andy's results don't improve by the USO I expect Lendl and Andy will part ways.
That wouldn't surprise me - and neither would it surprise me if, as usual, it's Andy who does the dumping.

It's not even funny anymore watching him on clay he's so bad. Yet to reach a final, never beaten a top 8 player and all on his "favourite surface". How can anyone think he's hope in hell at the French Well at least he's got someone to blame now
If you think Andy's so bad on clay, then why bother watching him, or do you do it simply in order to gloat when he loses?
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #458 on: April 29, 2012, 01:56 AM »

I recently re-watched  Andy versus Joker in semis of Rome Masters last year. Andy was great. He was aggressive, he hit through the ball, had great length etc. Joker was on the ropes. Remember Andy was serving for that match. And Joker easily beat Nadal in the final the next day. Makes it more of a mystery how Andy can be so easily beaten by both Berdych and Raonic. These matches haven't even been close to be honest. Its like Andy has forgotten all that he achieved last year. I guess its better he's losing these matches now rather than at Rolland Garros. But he needs to get his finger out sharpish and stop messing about.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #459 on: April 29, 2012, 02:26 AM »

Yes, but is Andy really messing about - or is it Lendl who's messing him about?  Lendl won't be in Madrid and Rome, so it'll be interesting to see how Andy does on his own.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #460 on: April 29, 2012, 06:37 AM »

Steve, could you just clarify where this "favourite surface" quote comes from?
Thanks.

On Andy Murray’s profile page on the website for the men’s tour, it suggests that his favourite surface is clay, and if that’s a joke rather than a mistake, it’s in poor taste, after the draw he has got for Roland Garros.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/7753640/French-Open-2010-clay-still-not-Andy-Murrays-strongest-surface-says-Boris-Becker.html

Andy Murray has reiterated that clay remains his favourite surface, ahead of his last 16 clash against Tomas Berdych at the French Open.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12110_6179478,00.html

He may have changed his mind since then as both these articles are from 2010.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #461 on: April 29, 2012, 08:20 AM »

Aileen I really don't think Andy will be as you say be dumping Lendl any time soon, they have already signed a new contract for next year. He has said it takes time to work on things and get them in place in his game. Rome wasn't built in a day.
He and Lendl are now already back hard at work before Madrid, then Ivan will be back for RG. I for one think we will see the results as the Andy settles on the clay. It is good to build up and not come all gung ho at the start. I would rather Andy lulls his opponents into a false sense of security and then for him to come out and blow them away. So lets just leave it to the two experts Andy and Ivan. They are both very canny.
[ Last edit by michelle April 29, 2012, 10:16 AM ] IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #462 on: April 29, 2012, 09:45 AM »

ok  I thought about it long and hard  and I feel I've been too harsh on Andy.  I need to give him and Lendl more time   CMONNNNNNNNNN ANDY!!! Smile  The clay season is not over just yet  yay
[ Last edit by johnkiernan35 April 29, 2012, 10:47 AM ] IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #463 on: April 29, 2012, 10:18 AM »

ok  I though about it long and hard  and I feel I've been too harsh on Andy.  I need to give him and Lendl more time   CMONNNNNNNNNN ANDY!!! Smile
Thank God I couldn't believe that you would write such things..........just keep believing he will win his first GS very soon.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #464 on: April 29, 2012, 10:30 AM »

Can't believe Andy is any way near "dumping" Lendl. I also thought they'd said it would take a year for Lendl effect to work?
However, I do think Andy was playing better on clay last year and his movement is still poor. If you look at Rafa's movement on clay it is a thing of beauty.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 ... 37 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »