Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Raonic will be a difficult opponent, so predictions please
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Raonic in 2
Raonic in 3
Undecided

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 37 Go Down Reply
Author

Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic

(Read 8604 times)
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #465 on: April 29, 2012, 10:43 AM »

Can't believe Andy is any way near "dumping" Lendl. I also thought they'd said it would take a year for Lendl effect to work?
However, I do think Andy was playing better on clay last year and his movement is still poor. If you look at Rafa's movement on clay it is a thing of beauty.
I agree BBH, I think Andy tries to hard when Lendl is watching sometimes, and if they are trying new things it will take time, and yes Raffas movement is something else, but it's what he has played on mostly since he picked up a racket makes a difference, you only had to watch the match with Ferrer it comes so much easier for the dirt rats!!
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #466 on: April 29, 2012, 11:02 AM »

Yes I love watching both Rafa and Ferrer move on clay - their footwork is amazing. It's so difficult to get them off balance. And Rafa especially is able to get so many shots back from really awkward positions - great to watch.

Andy is unlikely to ever be able to achieve that kind of movement but he should be moving better on clay within the next few weeks, it just takes him a bit of time to get used to the surface. Last year there was a greater urgency for him to do well straight away on clay as he hadn't won a single match from the AO until Monte Carlo. As he lost his first match in Miami he had more time to practise on clay too.

Madrid should be better for him as it's a quicker surface - the most like a hard court out of all the clay events. Will be interesting to see the blue clay too!
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #467 on: April 29, 2012, 11:05 AM »

I would rather Andy lulls his opponents into a false sense of security and then for him to come out and blow them away.

Ah OK now it makes sense. LOL! Thats one of the better excuses Ive heard. Right up there with "he needs to see a sports psychologist" or "he needs more experience on clay".

Ho hum. Roll on Madrd.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #468 on: April 29, 2012, 11:48 AM »

Changing the subject I watched in a league of thier own last night, made me laugh when they said Andy's guiltily pleasure is a Milky bar yogurt !!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #469 on: April 29, 2012, 01:29 PM »

Are we all forgetting how well Andy played on clay last year. I cannot believe some of the comments that have been made on MW. Yes hes has not played very well in the last 2 clay court tournaments. He lost to Raonic but not by a mile lets keep things in perspective he dropped his serve in the first set and regained one in the second set. He then lost the tie break I don't see this as a disaster. Clay is not his best surface and he needs to improve playing on it. Ferrer beat Raonic he has played him 4 times and by now must be able to read his serve and he won. So it is not impossible to beat Raonic his first serve percentage dropped when playing Ferrer.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #470 on: April 29, 2012, 02:03 PM »

Ah OK now it makes sense. LOL! Thats one of the better excuses Ive heard. Right up there with "he needs to see a sports psychologist" or "he needs more experience on clay".

Ho hum. Roll on Madrd.
Perhaps I will have the last laugh!
]
IP Logged
reef
Junior

coral reef

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #471 on: April 29, 2012, 02:11 PM »

I am about to make certain comments, with which 90% of MW members wiil disagree.

In a previous subject, I think it was after his defeat by Berdych, I posed the question as to how long the relationship between Andy and Ivan Lendl would last. I suggested not too long.

After both versus Berdych, but more remarkably during his defeat by Raonic, I was watching Lendl's attitude and his body-language on the occasions when the cameras turned towards Andy's support team. I noticed two matters:-

1. When Andy won one of his remarkable winners, his team apart from Ivan applauded enthusiastically. Lendl never moved.2. Lendl was always seated in a way that his frame was turned away from the rest of Andy's team.

One of the reasons that Andy dispensed with Miles MacLagan's services was Miles' lack of enthusiasm on courtside towards Andy's winners. Further, when Andy in his mind decided to dispense with Miles, his tennis for a while suffered until the die was cast.

I have a feeling that Andy is having the same mental situation in his disappointment with Lendl's assistance. Perhaps that is a reason for Andy's poor results against both Berdych and Raonic. Having said that there is no doubt that Raonic was the better player and deserved to win.

It is well known that Andy is very loyal to all his team and respects and keeps in touch on amicable bases with his past coaches. In Lendl's case it is a futher difficulty as Ivan is one of the all-time greats.

We must wait and see if my feelings are correct or wide of the mark.

Andy is an enormous talent who deserves to be a Slam winner to himself be talked about with the historical greats.

Perhaps this post makes me one of the 10 percent then as I agree with many of the above points.  It's well-known that Andy likes his camp to show support (Judy can testify to that) - most coaches do, so is this just Lendl's way that has to be accepted or has he not yet sussed out aspects of Andy's personality that might benefit from a change in demeanour courtside.........or as others have said, is it simply too early to judge.  Those of us who feel ever-so-slightly uneasy are probably thinking we've been here before analysing Andy's coaching relationships.

Far from writing him off (Andy I mean - I could NEVER do that or I wouldn't be here) I still feel he might just have a better chance of achieving his goals on his own terms.  He knows his strengths and weaknesses well enough by now and if not then I'm sure his nearest and dearest have pointed them out.

And I do believe he has a great chance of achieving that elusive slam but he's complicated and I think it will take him longer than we (and he) would wish.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #472 on: April 29, 2012, 02:19 PM »

On Andy Murray’s profile page on the website for the men’s tour, it suggests that his favourite surface is clay, and if that’s a joke rather than a mistake, it’s in poor taste, after the draw he has got for Roland Garros......

He may have changed his mind since then as both these articles are from 2010.

Thanks for answering the question Bev. I've just watched the weird interview in a VW video - where Andy is asked about playing on clay - and he says he's always enjoyed it, he finds it challenging, it's the most fun because you get more different sorts of points.

That makes sense then. Possibly his favourite, though not because it's his most successful.
IP Logged
steve bywaters
Junior

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #473 on: April 29, 2012, 02:22 PM »

Steve, could you just clarify where this "favourite surface" quote comes from?
Thanks.

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/frenchopen2010/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=tennis/10/05/29/TENNIS_French_Murray_Nightle.html

Not so long ago Murray declared  "..I'm going to export my hardcourt game onto clay".
If nothing else doesn't that show his staggering level of ignorance about his "favourite surface". It's no  wonder we get these awful performances.
If he's that ignorant about his own game on clay what hope has Lendl got, short of rebuilding his game from scratch.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #474 on: April 29, 2012, 02:32 PM »

Andy said during an interview in Barcelona re clay courts, he said he likes playing on them because of the challenge they offer, he finds them fun, because of the challenge, very different from what SB is going on about. I know what Andy means as he enjoys a challenge, it is unfortunate that what he says is so often misinterpreted ie the recent debacle re his relationship with Kim. I feel that the same thing is going on re his favourite surface, he has always said it takes him some time to get used to it.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #475 on: April 29, 2012, 02:48 PM »

What Andy says....
Full article here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2135693/Andy-Murray-Why-I-gone-playing-best-tennis-life-worst.html
----------------------------------------
DF One report said that you played Novak Djokovic for the first time when you were 11.
AM Yes, and then we played all the way through juniors. The first time we played each other was in France.
DF Who won?
AM I did. Six love, six one   (He remembers lol)
-----------------------------------------
DF You have a new coach, Ivan Lendl. What is most important for you about a coach?
AM..Lendl has been very, very good at asking me questions, trying to find out how I’m feeling, what’s going on in my head, so he can find out exactly why I’ve made a certain decision.
-----------------------------------------
DF What do you actually have to do differently for clay as opposed to a hard court?
AM The main difference for me is the movement.....I don’t play on it for ten-and-a-half months of the year. So it always takes me a good few weeks before I start to feel comfortable on it, feel natural on it...
--------------------------------------------
DF If you don’t play well in the first set, what do you do to make yourself play better in the second set?
AM Sometimes it depends on who you’re playing against. You have to change things but in between the sets we have a two-, three-minute break and in that time you’re trying to sit down and analyse a 45-minute set, trying to analyse what happened, what went wrong and then what to do to change. It’s not that much time, and because you don’t have a coach on court with you, you have to do all this yourself
---------------------------------------------
DF One last question. What’s the difference between a great tennis player and a very good tennis player? 
AM I don’t think there is necessarily one thing. The mental side makes a big difference, but also a lot of players nowadays are judged on how many Grand Slams they’ve won. I think in the past the guys could have won more Grand Slams but they used to miss the Australian Open. Lendl even missed the French Open a few times to prepare for Wimbledon, but that doesn’t really happen at all nowadays. Grand Slams are such a huge focus for all of the players. Your performances in the Grand Slams are how guys are judged now.

IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #476 on: April 29, 2012, 02:55 PM »

It is far too soon to be writing off the Andy/Ivan partnership, there is no way that Lendl would have taken on the challenge of working with Andy if he did not think he could help, this is the first time he has done anything in professional tennis since he stopped playing the game himself, so he has his own reputation to think of,  also.  He has not come into Andy's team to be a "whoop whoop" guy, he is there to support and advise, even when he himself played he was renowned for his ice cold exterior.  At the AO you quite clearly saw him giving an approving nod at some shots that Andy made.  Instant improvements will not be visible, it takes time for them boh to adjust to working with each other, this is a period of transition that Andy is going through which will have stops and starts, he is obviously focusing on the grand slams so would not expect to see him going out early then.  If the QF was over 5 sets, Andy would have been through, he was beginning to get to grips with Ranonic and work him out.  So at the end of the day we have so much to look forward to and remember that sheer talent, of which Andy has bucket loads, will always prevail, especially when it is coupled with the hard work and determination that Andy puts in.  Let's re-evaluate after the USO.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #477 on: April 29, 2012, 04:02 PM »

It is far too soon to be writing off the Andy/Ivan partnership, there is no way that Lendl would have taken on the challenge of working with Andy if he did not think he could help, this is the first time he has done anything in professional tennis since he stopped playing the game himself, so he has his own reputation to think of,  also.  He has not come into Andy's team to be a "whoop whoop" guy, he is there to support and advise, even when he himself played he was renowned for his ice cold exterior.  At the AO you quite clearly saw him giving an approving nod at some shots that Andy made.  Instant improvements will not be visible, it takes time for them boh to adjust to working with each other, this is a period of transition that Andy is going through which will have stops and starts, he is obviously focusing on the grand slams so would not expect to see him going out early then.  If the QF was over 5 sets, Andy would have been through, he was beginning to get to grips with Ranonic and work him out.  So at the end of the day we have so much to look forward to and remember that sheer talent, of which Andy has bucket loads, will always prevail, especially when it is coupled with the hard work and determination that Andy puts in.  Let's re-evaluate after the USO.
'Exactly M.M, and SB, I haven't seen awful performances from Andy  Ranonic  didn't exactly trash him!! Dosnt seem to me your much of a fan!!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #478 on: April 29, 2012, 05:27 PM »

So many conclusions over just one match. Once Andy wins his first Slam, I bet these very people will come back and say, "Ah, but we knew it all along".
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #479 on: April 29, 2012, 05:54 PM »

So many conclusions over just one match. Once Andy wins his first Slam, I bet these very people will come back and say, "Ah, but we knew it all along".
. Yes I bet they do   E,J.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 37 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »