Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Raonic will be a difficult opponent, so predictions please
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Raonic in 2
Raonic in 3
Undecided

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 Go Down Reply
Author

Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic

(Read 9136 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #495 on: April 29, 2012, 11:25 PM »

Aileen I really don't think Andy will be as you say be dumping Lendl any time soon, they have already signed a new contract for next year. He has said it takes time to work on things and get them in place in his game. Rome wasn't built in a day.
He and Lendl are now already back hard at work before Madrid, then Ivan will be back for RG. I for one think we will see the results as the Andy settles on the clay. It is good to build up and not come all gung ho at the start. I would rather Andy lulls his opponents into a false sense of security and then for him to come out and blow them away. So lets just leave it to the two experts Andy and Ivan. They are both very canny.
Think I must have been feeling negative when I made that comment about Andy dumping Lendl, because I've effectively contradicted what I said in a previous post! doh  I'm just a bit surprised though that a contract for next year has been finalised as early as April.  And, yes, I know it takes time to work things out - in fact I've been saying that as well on here - but from what we've seen recently I've sometimes felt that Andy has gone into reverse.  Perhaps it's a bit unfortunate that, as a result of going out so early in IW and getting two w/os in Miami, he's been a little short of match practice, especially if he wants to try out new things.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #496 on: April 30, 2012, 12:58 AM »

Patrick Rafter, for example, was a late bloomer. He turned pro in 1991 but won his first Slam in 1997 at age 25. He won his 2nd Slam the following year at age 26. Even so, it works differently for different players simply because not all the players face the same adversities or the same upbringings and that makes a huge difference in each one’s career. Personally I feel Andy would have won a Slam by now but the country he represents is a very difficult one and sometimes, it makes things even impossible. Federer, Nadal, Djokovic they always get undivided attention/love from their country. One can't say the same about Andy's country. You can’t say for sure these don’t affect Andy’s mind, therefore, his game at all.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #497 on: April 30, 2012, 01:11 AM »

Andy has always said that he would play his best tennis between the ages of 24 and 27 - although, unfortunately, 24 has only two more weeks to go!  However, Darren Cahill backed that up a year ago when he predicted Andy would peak in his mid-20s.  We can only wait and see now if Lendl can manage to nurture that late blooming to its final flowering.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #498 on: April 30, 2012, 01:40 AM »

And Rafter didn't even make any finals before that USO in 1997 whereas Andy has already made three finals and made his mark as a true contender. There's a reason why people expect him to win majors and it's only given that he's goiing to lose a few finals before finally winning one. And if some people don't see it then that's fine but history will tell you otherwise.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #499 on: April 30, 2012, 02:22 AM »

And Rafter didn't even make any finals before that USO in 1997 whereas Andy has already made three finals and made his mark as a true contender. There's a reason why people expect him to win majors and it's only given that he's goiing to lose a few finals before finally winning one. And if some people don't see it then that's fine but history will tell you otherwise.
Lendl reached four GS finals - the FO in 1981, the USO in 1982, and in 1983 at both the AO and the USO - before finally winning the French Open 3 months after his 24th birthday.  OK, so Andy will be 25 in May - but I really don't see what difference that makes.  So what's your argument?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #500 on: April 30, 2012, 02:41 AM »

It was just a general post to those who dont think Andy would ever win a Slam. Just happened to follow yours.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #501 on: April 30, 2012, 02:57 AM »

OK sorry for misunderstanding, but I'll leave my post as it is, just to remind the doubters.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #502 on: April 30, 2012, 12:10 PM »

Rubbish.

If he doesn't win one it won't be because of his ability, rather his inconsistency.

Yeah thats what I said. He's not good enough. Consistency is one part of being "good enough" to win a Slam. I'd absolutely love him to win one though but after watching him for 6 years and watching Novak and Rafa move up several levels he has next to no chance.
IP Logged
steve bywaters
Junior

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #503 on: April 30, 2012, 12:39 PM »

Yeah thats what I said. He's not good enough. Consistency is one part of being "good enough" to win a Slam. I'd absolutely love him to win one though but after watching him for 6 years and watching Novak and Rafa move up several levels he has next to no chance.

I think deep down we all know he'll never win a slam he just hasn't got the mental strength, sadly something he has got consistency in. No 2nd serve,no power and a very weak topspin - which eliminates him from the business end of all the clay tournaments. Not that he hasn't the skill of course as Djokovic says he's the most talented out there, but what good is that if you haven't got the smarts to go with it.
It could be Murray simply isn't very intelligent
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #504 on: April 30, 2012, 01:05 PM »

I think deep down we all know he'll never win a slam he just hasn't got the mental strength, sadly something he has got consistency in. No 2nd serve,no power and a very weak topspin - which eliminates him from the business end of all the clay tournaments. Not that he hasn't the skill of course as Djokovic says he's the most talented out there, but what good is that if you haven't got the smarts to go with it.
Fine say that at the end of his career , but not now!! and who are you to say he simply isnt very intelligent, I have been lucky enough to meet Andy several times and he came across as a very leval headed intelligent man. As Emma jean said we will see!!!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #505 on: April 30, 2012, 01:05 PM »

Oh come on thats a bit harsh. Who are you to judge anyone about his intelligence. He has a great tennis brain and he would not have got as far as he has if he did not. If you do not believe in him why are you on MW site, I am sure you would be welcome elsewhere.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #506 on: April 30, 2012, 01:06 PM »

Oh come on thats a bit harsh. Who are you to judge anyone about his intelligence. He has a great tennis brain and he would not have got as far as he has if he did not. If you do not believe in him why are you on MW site, I am sure you would be welcome elsewhere.
  clap clap
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #507 on: April 30, 2012, 01:12 PM »

If anything.. I think Andy is too intelligent about the game because he tends to overthink rather than just go for it at times.
We all have our own opinions and may disagree on some things... but I sincerely hope we are all Andy supporters and want the best for him.
I know I do... in fact, sometimes I wish I didn't care so much.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #508 on: April 30, 2012, 01:29 PM »

Murray's one of the most intelligent on the tour.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #509 on: April 30, 2012, 01:37 PM »

Murray's one of the most intelligent on the tour.

True and is much applauded for his tactical nous.
And yet he does strange things like play a mile behind the baseline against Roger Federer in an AO final
A dumb move.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »