Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Raonic will be a difficult opponent, so predictions please
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Raonic in 2
Raonic in 3
Undecided

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 Go Down Reply
Author

Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic

(Read 8939 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #525 on: May 01, 2012, 01:51 AM »

Thanks for answering the question Bev. I've just watched the weird interview in a VW video - where Andy is asked about playing on clay - and he says he's always enjoyed it, he finds it challenging, it's the most fun because you get more different sorts of points.

That makes sense then. Possibly his favourite, though not because it's his most successful.

Andy said during an interview in Barcelona re clay courts, he said he likes playing on them because of the challenge they offer, he finds them fun, because of the challenge, very different from what SB is going on about. I know what Andy means as he enjoys a challenge, it is unfortunate that what he says is so often misinterpreted ie the recent debacle re his relationship with Kim. I feel that the same thing is going on re his favourite surface, he has always said it takes him some time to get used to it.

yes  Favourite does not equate best.  My favourite meal is not the one I'm best at making/cooking.  That concept might be too much for those not intelligent enough to understand though Whistle
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #526 on: May 01, 2012, 02:06 AM »

I get that all this frustration is coming from the fact that Tim Henman never won a Slam. Didn't even make a major fina. Now you can actually look back at him and say, "well, he simply wasn’t good enough" and you will be dead right too.

I'd be interested at the answer to that one Eyebrow raise.

Tim was the best player we had at the time (I'm talking Britain btw) and is one of the best serve and volleyers of his generation.  He also managed to get Fedex's scalp 6 times.  He may have not been good enough but he was all we had (well there was Greg at times).  He will also go down in history as being the 1st player to be banned from Wimbledon.  doh

We (Britain) should appreciate what we have at the time, unless they (anyone that thinks they can do better) are willing to step up and take the mantle.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #527 on: May 01, 2012, 02:32 AM »

^^ Tim reached a career high ranking of No.4 and I'm convinced that he'd have got to the Wimbledon final in 2001.  He was 2-1 up against Ivanisevic, having taken the 3rd set 6-0, when rain stopped play - Referee Alan Mills having chosen not to start the match earlier despite being warned by the Met Office that heavy and persistent rain was due to arrive later that afternoon. naughty  Just very unfortunate that when play was resumed the following day he came to within two points of victory during the fourth set tiebreak before losing the rain-interrupted decider.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #528 on: May 01, 2012, 08:57 AM »

You aren't rob h in disguise are you?  That moron who claimed that Andy suffered from Asperger's Syndrome?

Brad Gilbert described Andy as a tennis genius.  Sir David Frost (not a man who's easily impressed) in his introduction to the transcript of his interview with him on Al Jazeera published by the Daily Mail, said "When friends learned that I was about to interview Andy Murray, several of them predicted that I would find him shy and uncommunicative.  Fortunately, that particular myth about Murray turned out to be nonsense. Off the court, he was friendly and approachable, not to mention engaging, humorous and thoughtful."  These certainly aren't the attributes of somebody who is lacking in intelligence.

Me too, and I'm still convinced Andy had a good chance of beating Raonic had the match gone to a decider because he was definitely getting his measure by the 2nd set. Losing that tie-break was a huge blow to him, and the grim expression on his face when he came off court said it all.
. Totally agree , had he got that 2 nd set would of been a different match, he will have him next time.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #529 on: May 01, 2012, 09:01 AM »

^^ Tim reached a career high ranking of No.4 and I'm convinced that he'd have got to the Wimbledon final in 2001.  He was 2-1 up against Ivanisevic, having taken the 3rd set 6-0, when rain stopped play - Referee Alan Mills having chosen not to start the match earlier despite being warned by the Met Office that heavy and persistent rain was due to arrive later that afternoon. naughty  Just very unfortunate that when play was resumed the following day he came to within two points of victory during the fourth set tiebreak before losing the rain-interrupted decider.
^^ Tim reached a career high ranking of No.4 and I'm convinced that he'd have got to the Wimbledon final in 2001.  He was 2-1 up against Ivanisevic, having taken the 3rd set 6-0, when rain stopped play - Referee Alan Mills having chosen not to start the match earlier despite being warned by the Met Office that heavy and persistent rain was due to arrive later that afternoon. naughty  Just very unfortunate that when play was resumed the following day he came to within two points of victory during the fourth set tiebreak before losing the rain-interrupted decider.
Yes I remember it well such a shame for Tim , but for me it does put into perspective just how good our Andy is having reached GS finals at 24 with hopefully many more chances!!
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #530 on: May 01, 2012, 09:28 AM »

Yes, but Henman had a 9-0 career H2H lead against Ivanisevic. The fact that this was his only defeat, on the biggest stage, on Henman's favourite surface, suggests it was never going to happen for our Tim.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #531 on: May 01, 2012, 09:30 AM »

Sir David Frost (not a man who's easily impressed) in his introduction to the transcript of his interview with him on Al Jazeera published by the Daily Mail, said "When friends learned that I was about to interview Andy Murray, several of them predicted that I would find him shy and uncommunicative.  Fortunately, that particular myth about Murray turned out to be nonsense. Off the court, he was friendly and approachable, not to mention engaging, humorous and thoughtful...

British public too pig-stupid to see this.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #532 on: May 01, 2012, 10:13 AM »

Yes, but Henman had a 9-0 career H2H lead against Ivanisevic. The fact that this was his only defeat, on the biggest stage, on Henman's favourite surface, suggests it was never going to happen for our Tim.
Very true G.c, did we ever truly believe Tim would do it ? but I do believe Andy will.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #533 on: May 01, 2012, 10:49 AM »

We really shouldn't read too much in H2H's at times - it's what happens on the day that counts.  Andy had a great H2H against Roddick (2010) but we know how that one went at Wimbledon.  And don't get me started on the H2H against Fedex. 
IP Logged
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #534 on: May 01, 2012, 11:08 AM »

I was there and the weirdest thing was hearing the announcement that play would not resume until the following day.  We trudged off Centre Court hugely disappointed and wondering why on earth that decision had been made as the rain had stopped and it was the most beautiful sunny Friday evening.

Unless there are factors we do not know about this has to go down as one of the dumbest decisions ever.  Tim Henman was on fire that day, his movement was extraordinary and his momentum was at fever pitch.

The rest is history, Goran seized his opportunity the next day and went on to achieve his dream.  But those of us who were there in the cauldron and fervour of the world's most famous tennis arena knew that the history books could so easily have told a different story. 

Such are the quirks and humanities of tennis, things don't always go according to plan or turn out the way they should - that's why we love the sport.  And particularly Andy Murray.  He somehow encapsulates all of the qualities I just can't resist.  So much talent, so many highs and just enough lows to make him vulnerable.  When he is serving great and moving well he is the most exciting player ever.  Even when he isn't we hold our breath and wait for him to switch to genius mode and turn things round. 
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #535 on: May 01, 2012, 12:04 PM »

Great account Clementine.  Just looking at some articles now, play stopped at 7.45 pm - still plenty of time really.  Fate had a different path for Timmy no
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #536 on: May 02, 2012, 12:30 AM »

I was there and the weirdest thing was hearing the announcement that play would not resume until the following day.  We trudged off Centre Court hugely disappointed and wondering why on earth that decision had been made as the rain had stopped and it was the most beautiful sunny Friday evening.

Unless there are factors we do not know about this has to go down as one of the dumbest decisions ever.  Tim Henman was on fire that day, his movement was extraordinary and his momentum was at fever pitch.
Thanks Clementine.  I'd forgotten about that decision not to resume play after the weather had improved, and, as Bev says, the records show play stopped at 7.45 pm.  I know it gets dark a lot earlier in London than it does up here but on a sunny evening play should be possible up to 9 pm.  Tim was playing the tennis of his life and the crowd were right behind him.  I'm convinced one more set, and probably a short one at that, would have seen him through to the final.  Also Mills & Co had been told heavy rain was forecast again for the next two days, so goodness knows what lay behind that bizarre decision.  They certainly have a lot to answer for.

IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #537 on: May 02, 2012, 05:30 PM »

We have been on about Andy getting beat by Raonic but what is happening with Tsonga this year he just got beat by Hass 6-1,6-4. Joe was seeded number 1 and Hass was a WC!!
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #538 on: May 02, 2012, 05:40 PM »

We have been on about Andy getting beat by Raonic but what is happening with Tsonga this year he just got beat by Hass 6-1,6-4. Joe was seeded number 1 and Hass was a WC!!
You beat me to it dex, I was going to s :w00t:ay that Wil-Jo was beaten today Hass, if this had been Andy he would have been written off and Lendl told to take his walking papers. These results happen it is not the end of the world or the end of the losers career.
I really do feel that Andy will do very well in the next clay courts, and given a decent draw he could come out the winner of RG. w00t
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Barcelona QF: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #539 on: May 02, 2012, 05:53 PM »

Let's all start breathing again.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »