Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Down Reply
Author

Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky

(Read 4396 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #180 on: April 24, 2012, 03:49 PM »

Wasn't impressed with Andy's serve in the first two points of the final game - and one a DF.  That just won't do against the big boys.  Why does he seem to have difficulty serving out matches these days?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #181 on: April 24, 2012, 03:49 PM »

Was having major computer problems, so that might be one reason why, but still ... doh

Computers - can be pain in the arse or a wonderful invention, sometimes both at the same time!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #182 on: April 24, 2012, 03:51 PM »

Computers - can be pain in the arse or a wonderful invention, sometimes both at the same time!
My new laptop of just two months packed in completely!!  Taking it back to shop today to get replacement - but not the same make!  Meanitme had to fiddle around with a friend's ancient laptop that was snail slow and had internet connection problems ... Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #183 on: April 24, 2012, 03:54 PM »

My new laptop of just two months packed in completely!!  Taking it back to shop today to get replacement/refund.  Meanitme had to fiddle around with a friend's ancient laptop that had internet connection problems ... Rolling Eyes

Oh that's bad! I did try our old computer last night and I did get a stream working on it but daughter home last night, so grabbed her laptop - faster and livestream a bit smoother.  My final fall back is itouch to watch livescores on lol  Things I'll do to watch tennis.  Hopefully Andy will make the QF's as we have tv coverage from the Very Happy
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #184 on: April 24, 2012, 04:03 PM »

Just having a little look at the ATP profiles of a few guys in this tournament I didn't recognise... didn't realise Filip Krajinovic (Wild Card, into 2nd round after beating Cervantes (another WC)) was ranked #170 when he was just 18! Reached the Semis of Belgrade in 2010, beating Djokovic en-route (who albeit retired).

Only 20 now but was out injured from October '10 to May '11 after a shoulder injury, and then again from June '11 to February this year after deciding to have an operation. Working his way back up now, and beat Mannarino (the guy who knocked out Del Potro at Queens last year before losing in that epic against Ward) a week ago.

Definitely one to look for, if he can get over his injuries. Faces David Ferrer tomorrow.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter April 24, 2012, 04:06 PM ] IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #185 on: April 24, 2012, 04:13 PM »

Match report is up Smile
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #186 on: April 24, 2012, 04:31 PM »

Well OSS trousers appear to be safe today Very Happy

Andy does indeed take it in 2.

Thanks, Andy you saved me. Bev, I was starting to be concerned and wondering how I could walk around the offices without my trousers.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #187 on: April 24, 2012, 05:41 PM »

Thanks, Andy you saved me. Bev, I was starting to be concerned and wondering how I could walk around the offices without my trousers.

Andy saved you? I think not. Why not make a bold prediction before a match against Nole or Rafa? Why play so safe where Andy is almost destined to win, eh? :p
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #188 on: April 24, 2012, 06:09 PM »

Andy won Very Happy I Just got in  lol  How did he play  ?  looks like a relativity comfortable win Smile
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #189 on: April 24, 2012, 06:28 PM »

Andy won Very Happy I Just got in  lol  How did he play  ?  looks like a relativity comfortable win Smile
Played well enough. Nothing spectacular but got the job done. Groundstrokes were solid, serving was average (50%) but something like 85% won behind it. Stakhovsky dominated at the net for the most part. Broke early in the first set, fended off a couple of break points across two games but held out for the first set. Then at 1-1 in the 2nd set Stakhovsky just lost it really, made four successive errors to give Andy the break and there was just one player in it after that.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #190 on: April 24, 2012, 06:29 PM »

Played well enough. Nothing spectacular but got the job done. Groundstrokes were solid, serving was average (50%) but something like 85% won behind it. Stakhovsky dominated at the net for the most part. Broke early in the first set, fended off a couple of break points across two games but held out for the first set. Then at 1-1 in the 2nd set Stakhovsky just lost it really, made four successive errors to give Andy the break and there was just one player in it after that.
thanks MH Smile   
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #191 on: April 24, 2012, 08:57 PM »

Andy can get away with this sort of win against a player like Stakhovsky and still come on top with a serving percentage of 50. But against baseliners like Nole and Nadal, who have superior control on baseline rallies, it’s not going to cut it all the time. One would think that Andy is most likely to raise it when he needs to or as he goes along during a tournament, but that happens only once in a blue moon. So he better serve a higher percentage and consistently so against everyone. He should absolutely thrive on it and make sure that he’s getting a high percentage on both serve but especially the first one. It’s such a huge key for his ultimate success.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #192 on: April 24, 2012, 09:48 PM »

Andy can get away with this sort of win against a player like Stakhovsky and still come on top with a serving percentage of 50. But against baseliners like Nole and Nadal, who have superior control on baseline rallies, it’s not going to cut it all the time. One would think that Andy is most likely to raise it when he needs to or as he goes along during a tournament, but that happens only once in a blue moon. So he better serve a higher percentage and consistently so against everyone. He should absolutely thrive on it and make sure that he’s getting a high percentage on both serve but especially the first one. It’s such a huge key for his ultimate success.
Tbf it was his first match of the tournament, his first since Friday and only his 4th match on clay this season. The last 6 games he played very well and going on previous tournaments and years he will no doubt improve as this tournament, and this clay season goes on.

Whether that is enough to go one step further than last year and actually beat Djokovic or Nadal is anyone's guess.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #193 on: April 24, 2012, 09:58 PM »

When I listen to Andy's interviews, he always comes across as a well-informed, well-intentioned, and well-prepared and hard-working player.
So how come when I watch him it's like he becomes someone else?
A bit like my son saying he swears he's done everything he can and is prepared for his exams... and then fails miserably without knowing why..
I still continue to believe in them both.. pray
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #194 on: April 24, 2012, 10:17 PM »

When I listen to Andy's interviews, he always comes across as a well-informed, well-intentioned, and well-prepared and hard-working player.
So how come when I watch him it's like he becomes someone else?

During the Benneteau match you could tell Peter Fleming, who was co-commentating, was getting fed up with Andy's behaviour. He made an interesting point. Can't remember the exact words but he feels that by constantly berating himself Andy is kind of showing himself to be superior. Like its only great players that get annoyed when they miss shots. Im not sure if its true but I do wish Andy would get a grip more on the court. Its a sign of weakness and I think his opponents can feed off it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »