Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Reply
Author

Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky

(Read 5048 times)
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #195 on: April 24, 2012, 10:31 PM »

When I listen to Andy's interviews, he always comes across as a well-informed, well-intentioned, and well-prepared and hard-working player.
So how come when I watch him it's like he becomes someone else?
A bit like my son saying he swears he's done everything he can and is prepared for his exams... and then fails miserably without knowing why..
I still continue to believe in them both.. pray
So your son flunked his exams eh!......hope he does,nt log onto M.W.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #196 on: April 24, 2012, 10:40 PM »

He's still in the middle of them, and currently studying.
I just showed him MW and he said to stop talking **** about him.
He shares the same sense of humour as me.. so we're ok. Wink
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #197 on: April 24, 2012, 10:50 PM »

During the Benneteau match you could tell Peter Fleming, who was co-commentating, was getting fed up with Andy's behaviour. He made an interesting point. Can't remember the exact words but he feels that by constantly berating himself Andy is kind of showing himself to be superior. Like its only great players that get annoyed when they miss shots. Im not sure if its true but I do wish Andy would get a grip more on the court. Its a sign of weakness and I think his opponents can feed off it.
Didn't hear the Peter Fleming comment.. but don't agree that it's Andy showing himself to be 'superior.'
I just don't get it that he talks about it all the time, says he knows he needs to keep it in check and is working on it, and yet he still continues to display this imho childish behaviour.
He talks about 'maturity' all the time.
Maybe Andy is like a fine wine... takes time to mature, but worth the wait.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #198 on: April 25, 2012, 06:50 AM »

Was it craighateslife ( sorry if another) who pointed out that the swearing and the grumbling are a result of Andy not playing well, not a cause? That's so true. In those circumstances Andy knows he can play better, gets hugely frustrated, and lets his frustrations out.
I think we're stuck with it tbh. Also, would like to remind everyone that in the final against Rafa, and also semi against Bird, Nole was certainly behaving in a similar way. At one time he smashed his racquet into the court too.
Darling Gilles swears all the time, as does Ferrer. Unfortunately for him and us, Andy swears in English.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #199 on: April 25, 2012, 08:41 AM »

I have no trouble with Andy talking to himself or swearing, I think too much is made of it and we are continually being drawn to him, and as already been pointed out by bbh other players do it  but the cameras are not immediately on them or those blasted comms keep going on about Andy. It's easy to be calm and pan faced when everything is going easily. usually Andy is pointing out to himself he should have used a different shot, eg in MC should have used and inside out forehand and not a cross court. It's fine for him to have a little rant at himself, but then let it go and get on with the next point which as far as I can see is what he is now doing. I'm so pleased that Andy has got Ivan as his coach and mentor and not Murrayworld coaches who as far as I can see would cause Andy to give up playing straight away as he is hopeless both technically, mentally etc and he won't beat other top players in a GS. Once you have won a GS as they have you have confidence and this gives you an edge....once Andy has done it he will have gained that extra % and it will then be a level playing field.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #200 on: April 25, 2012, 08:52 AM »

I have no trouble with Andy talking to himself or swearing, I think too much is made of it and we are continually being drawn to him, and as already been pointed out by bbh other players do it  but the cameras are not immediately on them or those blasted comms keep going on about Andy. It's easy to be calm and pan faced when everything is going easily. usually Andy is pointing out to himself he should have used a different shot, eg in MC should have used and inside out forehand and not a cross court. It's fine for him to have a little rant at himself, but then let it go and get on with the next point which as far as I can see is what he is now doing. I'm so pleased that Andy has got Ivan as his coach and mentor and not Murrayworld coaches who as far as I can see would cause Andy to give up playing straight away as he is hopeless both technically, mentally etc and he won't beat other top players in a GS. Once you have won a GS as they have you have confidence and this gives you an edge....once Andy has done it he will have gained that extra % and it will then be a level playing field.

I 100% agree with you. Andy's oncourt attitude has changed hugely since Lendl came on board. In fact his positive mannerisms began prior to Lendl. Ivan helped to exacerbate the change.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #201 on: April 25, 2012, 11:35 AM »

Who?

Who has been saying that?

Seriously if you're going to criticise anyone for being critical of Andy you need to start quoting so we have an idea who you're going on about.

I've seen a couple of particularly negative post (born of pessimism I imagine) and I've seen some posters being honest with their criticism when he has played poor. But I've never seen anyone saying he's crap technically or mentally or that he should give up.

So either stop exaggerating/making stuff up or start quoting the posts you're referring to so we know who has been saying that.

Sorry Michelle, this wasn't a pop at you, just everyone who keeps on going about these mystery posts that are saying Andy isn't/will never be good enough.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #202 on: April 25, 2012, 12:23 PM »

Michelle:- I have no problem with Andy swearing I do get annoyed when the commentators on sky frequently keep telling us about it and quote "Please excuse the bad language" he is not the only one who swears and I would rather he did that than smash his racket. In fact because the sound is so low you would have to strai to hear it. As you say Simon and Ferrer swear but not understood becase it is not in English.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #203 on: April 25, 2012, 12:42 PM »

Michelle:- I have no problem with Andy swearing I do get annoyed when the commentators on sky frequently keep telling us about it and quote "Please excuse the bad language" he is not the only one who swears and I would rather he did that than smash his racket. In fact because the sound is so low you would have to strai to hear it. As you say Simon and Ferrer swear but not understood becase it is not in English.
Agree with this, I never even notice it most of the time but the commentators (normally Cowan or Castle) always draw attention to it.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #204 on: April 25, 2012, 12:55 PM »

It was Barry Milns not sure of the spelling sorry. He went out of his way to mention it. I know Andy is not perfect but I do get angry when all his little faults are constantly mentioned. I can see how he gets so fustrated with the media and newspapers. For gods sake leave the laddie alone to get on with his life weather he wins or loses that's life.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #205 on: April 25, 2012, 01:07 PM »

I'm not talking about one person if you look back on various posts you will see that he is accused of this and that...he will not beat Rafa, etc until he does this and that, he needs to change this or that and pick on little things instead of looking to what he has done,. I think it was very telling that after Andy's loss in Australia Lendl said what do we need to do to win the French. He set Andy something to work for, rather looking back. He made him look at the things he did well and then what he needed to work on. That was really what I was pointing out. Ivan is an excellent teacher because he starts with the positives rather than the negative, which I feel we some people's posts are very negative.
I am not making anything up, only pointing out that if Andy read some of the posts he would give up as he would deem that he wouldn't make it to the very top.
[ Last edit by michelle April 25, 2012, 01:11 PM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #206 on: April 25, 2012, 01:49 PM »

... didn't realise Filip Krajinovic
...(Definitely one to look for, if he can get over his injuries. Faces David Ferrer tomorrow.

Sorry MH.. Wee Daveed has just brushed him off the court 6-0 6-3.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #207 on: April 25, 2012, 03:12 PM »

Sorry MH.. Wee Daveed has just brushed him off the court 6-0 6-3.
Just seen that.

Still, he's only been back a couple of months and is ranked all the way down in the 700's! Although will rise about 200 places after this week.

Will take him a while to get back to where he was before (inside the top 200) but when he does he will definitely be worth keeping an eye on.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #208 on: April 25, 2012, 05:37 PM »

Tbf it was his first match of the tournament, his first since Friday and only his 4th match on clay this season. The last 6 games he played very well and going on previous tournaments and years he will no doubt improve as this tournament, and this clay season goes on.

Whether that is enough to go one step further than last year and actually beat Djokovic or Nadal is anyone's guess.

How do you explain then his 80% serve in the very first match against Troicki after two weeks of break in MC?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Barcelona R2: Murray v Stakhovsky « Reply #209 on: April 25, 2012, 06:09 PM »

It's a must have for Andy to have at least 60% of serve going into any match. When all else fails, this will hold up and it will help to ensure success in time of need. I think it was Bill who said somewhere a few days ago that the reason why Andy's serves fluctuates is mainly because he doesn't have the same approach against everyone (either he doesn’t like playing that particlar player or it’s too early for him etc., and some days he probably doesn’t even feel like playing) and I agree. He can afford that only after his first Slam. Things are extremely crucial right now especially time wise that, he must adjust his attitude and transform himself to that extremely professional mode and make sure that at least he’s getting high percentage of serve win or loss.

I’ve watched Federer and Nadal for so long and not always did they get these special favours (schedules, good draws etc.) as everyone has to start from 0, but they always seemed ready from the get go – no nonsense in attitude. It’s very important for a player to have that kind of attitude; that is, if one wants to see steady success and not just stay in one place for too long and get too comfortable. In all honesty, I don’t’ really care if his hair is fluffy or if he wears colorful outfits or gets a haircut where he looks lean and mean, the changes will have to come from within.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean April 25, 2012, 06:22 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »