Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 27 Go Down Reply
Author

BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013

(Read 11854 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 05:15 PM »

I have no expectation from Andy this year. I will just observe and see what unfolds. All these years I'd expected him to win a Slam. And now that he has done it, I intend to keep things open for all possibilities. I am definitely nervous but more so, very excited and I guess the nervousness is part of that.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 05:27 PM »

I have no expectation from Andy this year. I will just observe and see what unfolds. All these years I'd expected him to win a Slam. And now that he has done it, I intend to keep things open for all possibilities. I am definitely nervous but more so, very excited and I guess the nervousness is part of that.

Indeed. I just want to be able to enjoy it now, rather than getting irate when he struggles/loses in matches it feels like he should win/have won.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 05:32 PM »

Expectation is such a hidden emotion though. We think we don't have it but then, when things begin to unfold, it may just pop its head. Hopefully we will at least be aware of it.

[ Last edit by Emma Jean February 26, 2013, 06:00 PM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #33 on: February 26, 2013, 05:46 PM »

Seems the colour grey is to be the colour for 2013. Nole was wearing a silver and black outfit with silver shoes. Troiski was wearing dark grey with black inserts with a dash of yellow stripes and silver shoes.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #34 on: February 26, 2013, 05:48 PM »

Seems the colour grey is to be the colour for 2013. Nole was wearing a silver and black outfit with silver shoes. Troiski was wearing dark grey with black inserts with a dash of yellow stripes and silver shoes.

Baghdatis going a bit grey too..
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #35 on: February 26, 2013, 05:52 PM »

The way I look at it is that Andy had a great 2012 winning a gold medal and the US Open. I am just thinking of good things for him and hope he stays healthy. The thing I really enjoyed the most was Andy beating Smugfed  in the semi final of the Australian Open. I think that gave him the most satisfaction. Smugfed has always thrown in his face that Andy could not beat him in a slam. Well he did it and managed to upset Smugfed in the process. He has got stronger and stronger and I think he will have a good year that is what we should all want for him.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #36 on: February 26, 2013, 05:56 PM »

I think Andy deserves to win more slams with the amount of effort he puts into achieving success, i hope Novak does not hog everything and Andy keeps fighting.

Although he had a great 2012, i don't want him to rest on his laurels he is better than he thinks, he just needs to believe in himself as good as Novak which he is, i really don't want him to be viewed as a one slam wonder, he never will be to us but i want history to remember him for much more, maybe i'm just be selfish in wanting that.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 06:03 PM »

Nole was stable last year. This year he's grabbed the 1st Slam already. Still, I feel he will have a mediocre year this year. He has Nadal to face at RG, Andy, Federer, Berdych, Tsogna etc. at Wimbledon and then again, Andy, Federer, Del Potro etc. at the US Open. We’ve already seen 4 different winners just last year.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #38 on: February 26, 2013, 08:29 PM »

Andy will be my favorite for Wimbledon but imagine he gets to the French Open final he would be a finalist in all four concurrently.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 12:58 AM »

Nole was stable last year. This year he's grabbed the 1st Slam already. Still, I feel he will have a mediocre year this year. He has Nadal to face at RG, Andy, Federer, Berdych, Tsogna etc. at Wimbledon and then again, Andy, Federer, Del Potro etc. at the US Open. We’ve already seen 4 different winners just last year.
See I'm the opposite, I can genuinely see him running away from the competition this year. It would be a tough ask for Andy to stick with him (Djokovic is just so much mentally stronger and more consistent), no-one knows how Nadal is going to fare and let's be honest, Federer can't stay with Nole anymore, certainly not over five sets (exception: Wimbledon).

Nadal's the only player who can compete with him on clay - if he's not at his best Djokovic can sweep the clay tournaments. He's the best hard court player in the world (won 4 of the last 5 HC Slams). Whether Andy can step it up and beat him in a few of the big tournaments remains to be seen (Novak has won their last three meetings now). The only place he might struggle is Wimbledon, where Andy and Federer tend to bring their best stuff. But he has won there before, so who knows.

Nadal could play a big factor this year but I'm inclined to think that after so long out (and let's be honest, until Novak's grandfather died Novak had him in his pocket) and how things were going beforehand anyway, that he won't be able to compete with Nole anywhere but clay, and even then I think Nole will take him.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter February 27, 2013, 01:03 AM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #40 on: February 27, 2013, 01:14 AM »

See I'm the opposite, I can genuinely see him running away from the competition this year. It would be a tough ask for Andy to stick with him (Djokovic is just so much mentally stronger and more consistent)..

He's also currently the best all-court player in the pack.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #41 on: February 27, 2013, 02:19 AM »

See I'm the opposite, I can genuinely see him running away from the competition this year. It would be a tough ask for Andy to stick with him (Djokovic is just so much mentally stronger and more consistent), no-one knows how Nadal is going to fare and let's be honest, Federer can't stay with Nole anymore, certainly not over five sets (exception: Wimbledon).

Nadal's the only player who can compete with him on clay - if he's not at his best Djokovic can sweep the clay tournaments. He's the best hard court player in the world (won 4 of the last 5 HC Slams). Whether Andy can step it up and beat him in a few of the big tournaments remains to be seen (Novak has won their last three meetings now). The only place he might struggle is Wimbledon, where Andy and Federer tend to bring their best stuff. But he has won there before, so who knows.

Nadal could play a big factor this year but I'm inclined to think that after so long out (and let's be honest, until Novak's grandfather died Novak had him in his pocket) and how things were going beforehand anyway, that he won't be able to compete with Nole anywhere but clay, and even then I think Nole will take him.

I agree with your post in general; however, there's a reason why I think Nole won't see as stable a year as last year. He has already seen his highest peak in 2011. He, I don't think, will be able to match that in the coming years or ever. And I take the rule in and as well as the motivation factor - what goes up  must come down. Nole should have won 2 Slams IMO last year but he wasn't able to. Also, there are a couple of unknown factors here. First, we don't know yet what Andy is capable of this year. We are still deducing everything based on his past years' results but that can all change in a matter of moment. Federer, I don't think is a big factor unless it's Wimbledon but Nole has other threats there. I get that Nadal is still on shaky grounds and there's a big question mark lurking around  him. But it will be still a very tough deal to beat him at RG if he gets a good amount of practice before then. Nole was supposed to take him out last year but he wasn't able to. He was also beaten by Federer in 2011. Nole can sweep the floor with all the clay titles however, that's a big if. So I say it's up for grab and not a sure shot for Nole. That leaves USO. Again, the field is strong. The thing that will really favour him is the draws.

So I guess we'll see.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #42 on: February 27, 2013, 03:01 AM »

I'm still convinced Murray and Nole are neck and neck tennis wise, Nole is stronger mentally but Andy is getting there, i think his mental game is the most improved on the tour since last years AO and it is the final piece of the jigsaw for me.

And furthermore, a frazzled Andy Murray suffering with a slight hamstring problem and eventually blisters managed to take an in his prime Nole to 2 TB's and even had chances to go up a break early in the 2nd.

No no no, Novak doesn't fool me, you can tell in his demeanour when he plays Andy he is very wary of his threat, and in my opinion the only reason he eventually ran away with the final was because he saw his opponent struggling.

I challenge you to call a match between the 2 of them if they are both fresh as daisies and injury free, maybe on clay yes but not on grass and certainly not on a hardcourt.

There is also the issue with the pressure of staying number one, Federer is a huge egomaniac and it fit him like a glove, he loved the attention and his own self importance lessened the burden for him, plus he did not have any acceptable challenges to his throne until Nadal et all entered the scene and then even he struggled.

I wonder how long he can keep this up, how long he can maintain his position as number one not just mentally but physically, when i look at him i don't see the arrogance and cockiness required that Fed or Nadal had, he is still prone to mental lapses and getting down on himself.

I've already noticed Novak has tried to change his attitude towards playing Murray and looks now to try and finish him earlier, i think their matches will be shorter from now on with both of them not wanting 4-5 hour matches anymore, we see that with Nole coming to the net more, Andy just needs to ammend his game slightly and look to me more ruthless.
[ Last edit by The Gnome February 27, 2013, 03:22 AM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #43 on: February 27, 2013, 01:45 PM »

I very much agree with your post, Gnome.

Let's take a look. In 2012 we see:

Djokovic vs Federer: 3-2 (1 all in GS)
Djokovic vs Murray: 4-3 (1 all in GS)
Djokovic vs Nadal: 1-3 (1 all in GS)

It’s pretty even as far as the big ones are concerned.

Anyway, which one is more difficult? Winning more Slams than the previous record (14) or staying at No. 1 for a number of years? Let's say 6 years in a row since that was the last record. Even Federer wasn't able to break that record given the easy fields back then. Nole is definitely steadier than Nadal but can he hold on to it 4 more years? 
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #44 on: February 27, 2013, 01:52 PM »

I agree, Gnome.

Look at the Shanghai final last October. Djokovic was all over the place, shanking balls left, right and centre. He looked petrified. He knows Murray has his number. The Djoker only got back into that match because of a daft trickshot that he played for a laugh when he'd all but given the match up.

http://www.murraysworld.com/news/article/23411/
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 27 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »