Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 27 Go Down Reply
Author

BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013

(Read 10941 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #45 on: February 27, 2013, 02:09 PM »

One more week to go.  cmon yeah
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #46 on: February 27, 2013, 02:20 PM »

One more week to go.  cmon yeah

Yay  yay can't come quick enough, prob be about  thurs or fri though before Andy plays?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #47 on: February 27, 2013, 03:08 PM »

I don't think there is much between Andy and Novak. To my mind it all comes down to tiny margins here and there. I'd like to see Andy at the net more against Novak, because it would take Novak by surprise, could finish points off quicker, and I think Andy has the better hands. I still really feel that give it a year, 18 months, Andy will be the better player of the two. He might not overtake Novak's number of slams, but I do think he will be the better player. To my mind Andy has more to his game than Novak now, although, as I said, there isn't much between them.

I think the head to head with Novak is a bit of a funny one because it makes it look like a gulf has suddenly opened. However, Andy had match points in Shanghai. I think at any other moment he would have won that. It was pretty close at the World Tour Finals, and Andy fought him all the way at the AO. So, to my mind there is no gulf. All it is, in my view, is that a bit of luck has gone Novak's way lately. It happens.

Mentally I think Andy is stronger than he has ever been, and that will grow. There are no questions hanging over him now, no one questioning his place in the elite of the game, at least no one with any sense. He can still get annoyed, but that's all right. I think he needs a bit of that. What he does after he gets annoyed is the key for me. Whereas in the past he would get frustrated and go off for a point or two, even a game or two at times, he doesn't any more. Now when he gets frustrated he regroups and gets his mind back where it should be, on the court.

I still think Andy and Novak could share the majors this year. Federer is beginning to look vulnerable at times. He seems to go to pieces when he plays Andy especially, and definitely seems to take longer to recover from long(ish) matches. I don't think he can outlast either Novak or Andy now, and almost certainly wouldn't get through two of them. I think Nadal's best chance has to be the FO, but I'd question if he can win 7 best of five set matches this year, although a lot will depend on his draw.

I don't see Djokovic running away with everything this year. He is strong mentally and physically, without a doubt, but no one plays their best all the time, and everyone has let-downs. I also don't believe anyone is unbeatable. I think he is well aware of the threat Andy poses. Look at the USO final for example. Djokovic had already won a handful of majors, and Andy was yet to win one, but it was clearly Djokovic who looked the most nervous.

I can't wait for Indian Wells next week. I still think that if Andy gets through his first match he could go very well. It will be interesting to see if not playing for a while has any bearing on him.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #48 on: February 27, 2013, 03:34 PM »

My point wasn't just in regards to straight Andy/Novak match-ups though, so much as general consistency and match-ups with other players.

Novak always seems to have the easiest draw - but that's only because there's so few players that could actually harm him. The big servers seem to have the best chance (Isner, Querrey), but the likes of Ferrer and Berdych (who Andy often struggles against, winning a very tight affair or losing) he usually beats in straight sets with absolute ease. When was the last time he lost in a Slam to anyone but the top 4? How many times did he lose throughout the entire calendar year of 2012 to anyone outside the top 4? I can recall three off the top of my head, and one of those was in the Paris tankfest. Andy on the other hand saw defeats to Raonic (x2), Berdych, Gasquet, Garcia-Lopez, Ferrer, Mahut, Chardy and Janowicz (the latter being in the Paris tankfest).

Yes, you can pinpoint that to his focus/distraction by Slams as much as you want, but Andy's never been a consistent player. It would take a hell of a lot to be able to suddenly become almost unbeatable by these players.

In terms of the Andy/Novak match-up, yes there is little in it. Novak definitely does edge it though (we can look for whatever excuses we like, the facts speak for themselves), so let's not kid ourselves. The main difference is that mental toughness, and whilst Andy has definitely improved (quite substantially) in the past year, Novak is still quite far ahead.

It will be interesting this year, and I for one am looking forward to seeing what Andy can do. And I really hope he can start to turn this H2H against Novak (and improve on his consistency). But right now, I can't see it.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #49 on: February 27, 2013, 03:46 PM »

You can have your opinion. However I can't go along with you, especially re Ferrer and Andy, I haven't looked up the H2H but in 2011 he thrashed him in Tokyo and beat him in the Final in Shanghai, also beat him in the semi's in AO. Lost at 02 but retired because of an injury from the rest of the Tournament, other players probably would have not completed the match.  Lost to him on RG, wasn't he having problems with his back?
I have faith that Andy will be consistent and and grow in confidence, which is what Nole has,confidence.
So I'm backing Andy over Nole.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #50 on: February 27, 2013, 03:50 PM »

I'm with you on this Michelle!
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #51 on: February 27, 2013, 04:15 PM »

I am also with you on this one Michelle.  Regards to Shanghai,  Andy took Nole to the bitter end in spite of having a chest infection and temperature.  AO he pushed him again in spite of a fair amount of fatigue and dreadful blisters which most players would probably have retired with e.e Tipsy.  Andy was second in the winnings of big tournaments last year.  Nole only beating him with the World Finals.  I wonder how they will all feel at Indian Wells as rthey have played some many tournies and will most probably have jet lag if they get to the final.  I know we feel he needs match practice but Lendl has never believed this and look where got to.  I remember him sayhing you do not need to practice in matches just get off as fast as you can.  Practice is done in private.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #52 on: February 27, 2013, 05:33 PM »

My point wasn't just in regards to straight Andy/Novak match-ups though, so much as general consistency and match-ups with other players.

Novak always seems to have the easiest draw - but that's only because there's so few players that could actually harm him. The big servers seem to have the best chance (Isner, Querrey), but the likes of Ferrer and Berdych (who Andy often struggles against, winning a very tight affair or losing) he usually beats in straight sets with absolute ease. When was the last time he lost in a Slam to anyone but the top 4? How many times did he lose throughout the entire calendar year of 2012 to anyone outside the top 4? I can recall three off the top of my head, and one of those was in the Paris tankfest. Andy on the other hand saw defeats to Raonic (x2), Berdych, Gasquet, Garcia-Lopez, Ferrer, Mahut, Chardy and Janowicz (the latter being in the Paris tankfest).

Yes, you can pinpoint that to his focus/distraction by Slams as much as you want, but Andy's never been a consistent player. It would take a hell of a lot to be able to suddenly become almost unbeatable by these players.

In terms of the Andy/Novak match-up, yes there is little in it. Novak definitely does edge it though (we can look for whatever excuses we like, the facts speak for themselves), so let's not kid ourselves. The main difference is that mental toughness, and whilst Andy has definitely improved (quite substantially) in the past year, Novak is still quite far ahead.

It will be interesting this year, and I for one am looking forward to seeing what Andy can do. And I really hope he can start to turn this H2H against Novak (and improve on his consistency). But right now, I can't see it.

Nole wasn't very consistent from 2008 (after AO) to 2010. In fact, in 2010 he had the flattest year. Nole definitely peaked earlier than Andy but that doesn't mean, Andy isn't going to be as consistent as Nole in the coming years. The circumstances were very different for both and we have no reason to snub it, because it did slow Andy down considerably.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #53 on: February 27, 2013, 05:36 PM »

In fact, Nole didn't have any easy win over Andy last year expect for the Miami one. The margin was extremely narrow. And it takes a whole lot of guts and confidence to beat Nole in a 5 set battle in a Slam especially when Nole is known for his mental strength for that kind of fight.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #54 on: February 27, 2013, 07:49 PM »

I am so glad Andy beat Smugfed at the AO. That match proved that Andy had arrived and was able to beat Smugfed comprehensively. Andy outplayed him in every set despite the score I think this was very important for him knowing he could do it and not get nervous or upset. It will be interesting to see how GS go when Nadal comes back. I still think Andy will win a few and there will be battles between him and Nole. I can see Andy's confidence growing and he is much stronger mentally now.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #55 on: February 28, 2013, 11:51 AM »

There is a rumour that Nadal will miss both Indian Wells and Miami because of his knee problems
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #56 on: February 28, 2013, 01:04 PM »

There is a rumour that Nadal will miss both Indian Wells and Miami because of his knee problems

Nadal has been quoted as saying that he is considering missing ALL hard court surface tournaments.

I wonder if he will play Wimbledon.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #57 on: February 28, 2013, 02:34 PM »

He’ll play Wimbledon. He’s far more comfortable on that surface than hard though the likes of Rosols can be really worrisome. I still see him trying there another couple of years or so.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #58 on: February 28, 2013, 02:40 PM »

Speaking of Nadal, he nearly destroyed Alund. Is he getting better? I guess we will find out after May.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells. March 4-17, 2013 « Reply #59 on: February 28, 2013, 04:25 PM »

Speaking of Nadal, he nearly destroyed Alund. Is he getting better? I guess we will find out after May.
Confidence and game time, he's bound to improve quite markedly. The question is whether he will be at a level capable of beating Nole, Federer or even Andy come Monte Carlo and the rest of the clay court Masters.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 27 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »