Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions
Andy in 2 - 25 (83.3%)
Andy in 3 - 4 (13.3%)
Evgeny in 2 - 0 (0%)
Evgeny in 3 - 1 (3.3%)
Total Voters: 30

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 [50] 51 Go Down Reply
Author

IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy

(Read 9043 times)
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #735 on: March 11, 2013, 07:42 AM »

My OH stayed and watched this match as I was feeling unwell all day I could not take any more after the first set.  He said that Andy was just being Andy and sussing out a man he had not played before and when he had done that he was away.  He felt that Andy was not playing at anymore than about 75% of his ability.  I tend to forget than young players are very dangerous just as Andy himself was.  We have had so many predicted to get to the top but so many have fallen by the wayside.  We just have to wait and see.  The scoreline was pretty good considering he has just had 6 weeks off and had never played this chap before.
IP Logged
bubbles80
Satellite Level

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #736 on: March 11, 2013, 08:26 AM »

Right result in the end kept me on edge of my seat  Andy did very well had us all worried for 5 mins but  was amazing, shows why is world number 3 soon to climb higher , i feel this proves again his different mind set, not giving up and not being a defeatist chasing every ball down and grinding down mentally the other player great match to listen too
IP Logged
curtis71
Satellite Level

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #737 on: March 11, 2013, 09:15 AM »

I dont know why everyone was so on edge.

Yes, murray got off to a slow start, but he does have a habit of doing that especially after a while off. I for one even at 1-5 in the first set knew that the 2nd set was going to be a different story, and after he brought it back on level terms he nearly won the set.

Donskoy reminds me of a combination of a ferrer and a dolgopolov, he scampers around the court hitting everything back, though he struggled with serves over 120mph, was quite unorthodox and made some bad errors. he was hard to read, but murray always gets there in the end, cmon ppl this is the new murray

have faith
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #738 on: March 11, 2013, 09:45 AM »

I watched it on Sky. When Andy got into his stride he was away. Looked good had the other guy running around. Most of the errors were little things like going an inch log. Just a bit rusty from the lay off, but overall Andy looked awesome!
He'll get through the next round in 2.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #739 on: March 11, 2013, 10:19 AM »

I dont know why everyone was so on edge.

Yeah I'm sure the fact he had lost the last 6 sets in a row here had nothing to do with it.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #740 on: March 11, 2013, 11:41 AM »

I don't know if I want to read back through the thread to see what Andy was being called during the 1st set yesterday. I'm sure everyone's swear word vocabulary was well used Whistle.

I did think this would go three, because Andy hadn't played for a while, so I wasn't too concerned. I felt that there was a sense that once Andy got into a rhythm he would be all right, and he was. The last couple of years at IW did go through my mind, but Andy is different now, in every sense.

The first five or six games of the match were horrible from Andy's point of view. I couldn't understand why he was faffing about at the back of the court so much. Surely that was giving Donskoy a chance to dictate? However, Andy did really well to get back to 5 all, and looked like he was beginning to feel the ball much better, so I thought that the second and third sets would be different. Once Andy was in his stride there was no stopping him.

I think this was a good match to get through after not playing for a while. Andy kept himself together very well under pressure and worked it out. I think sometimes it is good to get a bit of a test early on, because then you are sharp for when you need to be. Hopefully Andy will continue to get better with each match now, and he has definitely cut off any idea of IW being a bogey tournament for him.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #741 on: March 11, 2013, 12:14 PM »

I agree TJ - this match may well prove to be better for Andy in the long run than a straightforward  6-0, 6-0 win.  Interestingly, Djoko's scoreline was very similar to Andy's - albeit in a different order.  He played some excellent stuff but had some pretty average stuff in there too - not unlike Andy. 
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #742 on: March 11, 2013, 12:30 PM »

I agree TJ - this match may well prove to be better for Andy in the long run than a straightforward  6-0, 6-0 win.  Interestingly, Djoko's scoreline was very similar to Andy's - albeit in a different order.  He played some excellent stuff but had some pretty average stuff in there too - not unlike Andy. 

I didn't see Djokovic, but I did hear about it. From what I hear he was cruising before hitting an average patch and being taken to three.

The interesting thing about it, at least in terms of some comparison with Andy if you like, is that Djokovic has played recently, so he shouldn't be rusty really. In Andy's case I just really felt that was he was back in his flow he would be all right.

Also, however much Andy played it down, there must have been some nerves yesterday, not only in not having played for a while, but also in having lost early in IW for the last couple of years. I think it was good for him to get through in that sense. It says a lot for how he has developed.
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #743 on: March 11, 2013, 12:42 PM »

I didn't see Djokovic, but I did hear about it. From what I hear he was cruising before hitting an average patch and being taken to three.

The interesting thing about it, at least in terms of some comparison with Andy if you like, is that Djokovic has played recently, so he shouldn't be rusty really. In Andy's case I just really felt that was he was back in his flow he would be all right.

Also, however much Andy played it down, there must have been some nerves yesterday, not only in not having played for a while, but also in having lost early in IW for the last couple of years. I think it was good for him to get through in that sense. It says a lot for how he has developed.

Although to be fair I could have been cruising against Fognini in the first set. He was an embarrassment. He did start hitting big and flat in the second but just couldn't bring it home in the third. He has his chances. I think Murray would have been the happier with his performance between the two.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #744 on: March 11, 2013, 01:24 PM »

Although to be fair I could have been cruising against Fognini in the first set. He was an embarrassment. He did start hitting big and flat in the second but just couldn't bring it home in the third. He has his chances. I think Murray would have been the happier with his performance between the two.

Really? That's interesting to know. As I said, I didn't see it, just heard a bit about it.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #745 on: March 11, 2013, 01:36 PM »

I saw the Djokovic/Fognini match. Foggy was completely dire in the 1st, (I think I remember he had a warning from the umpire about lack of effort) stepped it up in the 2nd but Nole couldn't convert a MP which then ended up bringing a 3rd. He was also given a warning for using too much time in between points.

Nole did not look sharp at all to me throughout pretty much the entire match, whereas Andy was rusty at the beginning and steadily picked up his level as his match went on.
IP Logged
bubbles80
Satellite Level

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #746 on: March 11, 2013, 02:45 PM »

[

Nole did not look sharp at all to me throughout pretty much the entire match, whereas Andy was rusty at the beginning and steadily picked up his level as his match went on.
[/quote]

this to me shows real professional strides the new Andy murray and i like it xxxx
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #747 on: March 11, 2013, 02:58 PM »

Novak was making way too many mistakes and he was lucky to get the 3rd set handed to him by Fognini.
IP Logged
bubbles80
Satellite Level

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #748 on: March 11, 2013, 03:00 PM »

if i was to make t shirt it would read
"keep calm and Murray will win "
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #749 on: March 11, 2013, 03:06 PM »

IP Logged