Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions
Andy in 2 - 25 (83.3%)
Andy in 3 - 4 (13.3%)
Evgeny in 2 - 0 (0%)
Evgeny in 3 - 1 (3.3%)
Total Voters: 30

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 [51] Go Down Reply
Author

IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy

(Read 10414 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #750 on: March 11, 2013, 03:30 PM »

I thought Andy was very good even after losing the first set. He managed to claw back to 5 All and was unlucky to lose it. He did not panic and played well for the next to sets. he kept calm and played a good match. The first match is the hardest so I think he did okay.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #751 on: March 11, 2013, 03:50 PM »

Having watched both Djoko and Andy play their openers. There was alot of similarities between the two. I think tho that Djoko would be slightly more concerned than Andy after their matches. Whereas is was pretty obvious Andy was 'rusty' due to lack of competitive matches and didnt get his timing to improve until after 6 games had passed him by...Djoko , on the other hand is not 'rusty' he has played in a few tournos since Oz and played well. He simply lost concentration mid-match.

Both Djoko and Andy showed how to hussle dominance back in their favor when their opponents begin to dictate. Both players very very tough to beat even on a bad day.

Dont know if anyone else is of same opinion but Nadal to me looks physically weaker in his lower body and stronger in his upper ...as the result of his extended layoff....ie instructed not to put pressure on the knees. Not quite the same player as was prior to injury....despite recent wins.

Fed I think may well slip to 4th in ATP rankings this year...

Djoko and Andy are the top players to beat...despite them possibly meeting in the semis....Id say that was the true final if it happens.
IP Logged
madabouttheboy
Junior

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #752 on: March 11, 2013, 03:54 PM »

I must say I was worried about the outcome until Andy fought back in the first set. After that I stayed reasonably calm with only the odd curse..
Great to see him again after a winter of watching the Olympic semi and final and of course the US Open. I think he'll do well now that he's got that first round monkey off his back.
Welcome back Andy, we all needed a Murray fix to save our sanity.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #753 on: March 11, 2013, 03:57 PM »

Donskoy gave Andy a very good match and the challenge Andy needed after the long break. Andy did take a set to both get his game together and figure Donskoy out, but in the end, it was worth it. His road is only going to get tougher and he needs to be in match shape before he meets with the big ones. Even Nishikori won't be as easy or given, so better get the game together and the mindset while he has some time.

The court felt a bit slow and heavy to me, but then again Andy said, (that was before his match though), it's the opposite. I saw the Isner/Hewitt match and Isner didn’t seem in control of the match despite the surface supposedly being ‘quicker and faster.’ Oh well.  
[ Last edit by Emma Jean March 11, 2013, 04:30 PM ] IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #754 on: March 11, 2013, 04:12 PM »

Donskoy gave Andy a very good match and the challenge Andy needed after the long break. Andy did take a set to both to get his game together and figure Donskoy out, but in the end, it was worth it. His road is only going to get tougher and he needs to be in match shape before he meets with the big ones. Even Nishikori won't be as easy or given, so better get the game together and the mindset while he has some time.

The court felt a bit slow and heavy to me, but then again Andy said, (that was before his match though), it's the opposite. I saw the Isner/Hewitt match and Isner didn’t seem in control of the match despite the surface supposedly being ‘quicker and faster.’ Oh well. 

Yeah I agree ...the court is a confusing one...its a dry air so the ball should travel faster yet the big serves are having less impact. its like the ball has a couple of marbles inside of it.

Unless a real bad hair day occurs, I can't see Andy having real probs until he meets Djoko....Nishikori struggles against Andy's style....Del Potro just doesnt impress me anymore his play stagnated whilst Andy's & Djoko's went up several levels.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #755 on: March 11, 2013, 04:38 PM »

Yeah I agree ...the court is a confusing one...its a dry air so the ball should travel faster yet the big serves are having less impact. its like the ball has a couple of marbles inside of it.

Unless a real bad hair day occurs, I can't see Andy having real probs until he meets Djoko....Nishikori struggles against Andy's style....Del Potro just doesnt impress me anymore his play stagnated whilst Andy's & Djoko's went up several levels.

The balls weren't definitely flying. In fact, as you as said, it seemed they had heavy marbles inside them. I mean Andy is very strong physically but he was having a hard time to keep the ball deep enough or hit through Donskoy, but that didn't happen most of the time. Given that the conditions are so dry, I thought Andy wouldn't have any problems being aggressive. In fact, he started out slightly aggressive but only to realize later that wasn't going to work out. It didn't surprise me Donkskoy was able to get a lot of the rallies back and sometimes overpower Andy, as Andy was out of position at times and left the court wide open.

All in all, Andy was average but he'll get better as gets more and more used to the courts and conditions. He's playing doubles today so that will help too - win or loss.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #756 on: March 11, 2013, 05:03 PM »

The balls weren't definitely flying. In fact, as you as said, it seemed they had heavy marbles inside them. I mean Andy is very strong physically but he was having a hard time to keep the ball deep enough or hit through Donskoy, but that didn't happen most of the time. Given that the conditions are so dry, I thought Andy wouldn't have any problems being aggressive. In fact, he started out slightly aggressive but only to realize later that wasn't going to work out. It didn't surprise me Donkskoy was able to get a lot of the rallies back and sometimes overpower Andy, as Andy was out of position at times and left the court wide open.

All in all, Andy was average but he'll get better as gets more and more used to the courts and conditions. He's playing doubles today so that will help too - win or loss.

Yeah Donskoy spent alot of energy in the 1st set trying to hit thru Andy ...which he did with many impressive shots....aided by Andy's lack of timing.
Donskoy lost his energy in the second and third sets....whereas Andy could have played 6 sets hiting at that pace. ..and once Andy found some timing that was that game over.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #757 on: March 11, 2013, 06:03 PM »

I didn't see Djokovic, but I did hear about it. From what I hear he was cruising before hitting an average patch and being taken to three.

The interesting thing about it, at least in terms of some comparison with
 Andy if you like, is that Djokovic has played recently, so he shouldn't be rusty really. In Andy's case I just really felt that was he was back in his flow he would be all right.

Also, however much Andy played it down, there must have been some
nerves yesterday, not only in not having played for a while, but also in having lost early in IW for the last couple of years. I think it was good for him to get through in that sense. It says a lot for how he has developed.
I totally agree. It was his first match of the tournament which brings on the nerves, and then thinking about past two years where he went out early, and finally playing someone he hadn't played before. I think Andy showed how much he has grown as a player. Good luck to him and Jamie in their match today.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #758 on: March 11, 2013, 10:25 PM »

"..I'd only seen him on youtube from the night before.."  Makes the win even more impressive.
"..I'm getting on a little bit, I haven't seen all the guys who are breaking through.." no and get Lendl right on that.

Judging on the rest of his interview, sounds like he's done his homework on Lu.

Thanks, Dani. Seems like a bit of a 'glossy' interview. Maybe going to be part of the documentary?
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #759 on: March 11, 2013, 10:39 PM »

Thanks, Dani. Seems like a bit of a 'glossy' interview. Maybe going to be part of the documentary?

No problem Scotnadian!

I don't know about whether it's going to be part of the documentary (I'm so interested to find out more about it!Hate that we have to wait such a long time for it),but just taking a quick look at the ATP youtube they seem to have most (if not all,I really have only glanced) of the guys who've won IW so far interviewed in a similary-stylized way-so maybe it's just something new they're trying?Guess we'll find out in time!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #760 on: March 11, 2013, 10:41 PM »

Whatever the reason, our lad sure looks good. yes
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #761 on: March 11, 2013, 10:46 PM »

He does indeed!He's looking very well indeed these days-tanned,good haircut for his face-but what's been nicest for me to see is how relaxed and happy he's been looking.It's lovely to see,and I hope it continues Smile
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: IW R2: Murray vs Donskoy « Reply #762 on: March 11, 2013, 10:53 PM »

Hanging about waiting to see if schedule for tomorrow is gonna be released before I go bed  zz
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 [51] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »