Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  BNPPM R3: Murray vs Janowicz 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Murray vs Janowicz
Murray in 2 - 17 (81%)
Murray in 3 - 2 (9.5%)
Janowicz in 2 - 1 (4.8%)
Janowicz in 3 - 1 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 [43] 44 Go Down Reply
Author

BNPPM R3: Murray vs Janowicz

(Read 10731 times)
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: BNPPM R3: Murray vs Janowicz « Reply #630 on: November 03, 2012, 03:40 PM »

I also remember Boris Becker coming from nowhere and winning Wimbledon when he was 17 and he went on to have some notable success .
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: BNPPM R3: Murray vs Janowicz « Reply #631 on: November 03, 2012, 03:44 PM »

Remember Tomic at Wimbledon terrific run and took a set off Nole, where is he now. I think we need to wait and see how JJ progresses once the other players read his game. He is undoubtably a talent, but it takes more than talent to reach the top 10 and stay there. He has been very lucky in Paris because of the WTF and the top seeds are no longer there with the exception of Ferrer. Poor Ferrer if he wins the tournament he'll be exhausted for his matches in London.
Ferrers not got much chance in the WTF bless him i really hope he can win this PM now.If any guy deserves it he does.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: BNPPM R3: Murray vs Janowicz « Reply #632 on: November 03, 2012, 03:52 PM »

I think JJ is terrific, with gr8 potential, much more than a "serving bot" or something someone on here called him.
But...Andy did have match point against him and broke his serve, so let's not start writing off Andy's chances at future WTFs quite yet. Eyebrow raise.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: BNPPM R3: Murray vs Janowicz « Reply #633 on: November 03, 2012, 03:55 PM »

I think we should all stop surmising on this chap. One of commentators was reminding us of Pavel who had the same game and made a final of a Masters and was to be the next best thing and he faded away without winning anything.  Andy was very close to beating him having broken him twice but he 'left the court'.  JJ looked very tired today and this only a Masters.  He has yet to prove himself at a GS.  The shadows under his eyes and he also seemed to slowing down.  I am not sure what changce he would have had agains the top players as Simon seemed to be feeding him the shots he needed and not drop shoting him.  We also do not know how he would react to losing a match and what that would do to his confidence.

I am watching the Fed cup at the moment and it is much exciting than the match today.  The girls are playing excellent tennis.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: BNPPM R3: Murray vs Janowicz « Reply #634 on: November 03, 2012, 03:56 PM »

JJ now up to 26 in the rankings and would be no 22 if he wins the tournament.

IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: BNPPM R3: Murray vs Janowicz « Reply #635 on: November 03, 2012, 03:58 PM »

I was watching the Fed Cup just now.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: BNPPM R3: Murray vs Janowicz « Reply #636 on: November 03, 2012, 04:05 PM »

I wonder why he was taking tablets from the doctor on court before they played.  They said he did that before the match with Andy.  He must have a problem sonewhere and he certainly looked ill to me today.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: BNPPM R3: Murray vs Janowicz « Reply #637 on: November 03, 2012, 04:10 PM »

Impressive too that the only players to even get a break point v JJ were Andy (7) and Tipsy (1)
IP Logged
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: BNPPM R3: Murray vs Janowicz « Reply #638 on: November 03, 2012, 04:11 PM »

Did anyone see the post-match interview on Sky when Marcus asked JJ about the tablets?  He said we're all dying to know what are the tablets you've been taking just as the match is beginning - we've seen the doctor give them to you for the last three days, the first time being your match with Andy Murray.  JJ was unable to answer as he was emotionally overwhelmed, crying uncontrollably...   I wished he'd been able to answer because it has been bugging me, particularly as the doctor and trainer appear to be waiting on the sidelines and appear right on cue moments before the match begins.  It seemed strange the first time against Andy, even stranger the second time against Tipsy, and then again today against Simon, what the heck is going on?  It will be interesting to see if the good doctor and trainer are on standby with the tablets just as tomorrow's final is about to start.   Whistle
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: BNPPM R3: Murray vs Janowicz « Reply #639 on: November 03, 2012, 04:20 PM »

I don't think it is really about GS v 3 set matches. It is more about the fact that this competition has been a compete farce, so far. I just don't think you can make any real judgements on any bodies performance, be it ND, Murray or Tsonga et al. Much less JJ. Look at Tomic for example, isn't he supposed to be the next best thing? Yet his performance has been average this year. Yes JJ has done well, but the situation is so peculiar I am really not sure just how much can be read into it. If he wins tomorrow it I am sure it will be one of those odd sports questions for pub quizzes. To put it another way, lets not panic yet. Murray gave him that match, as did Tipsaravic.

I agree Masaka.  If this had been a GS, or even a Masters at another time of the year, I'm pretty sure neither Andy nor Tipsy would have lost to JJ.  If he had gone out in the third round to Andy we would have been saying he had a good run but wouldn't have him marked as the next golden boy.  He has a lot of talent but he has yet to prove himself in a 'normal' competition.  JJ's big advantage this week has been that none of the others have played him before - the big boys will very soon figure out how best to play him.   Having said that he definitely has talent and I think has more variety than many of the big servers.
[ Last edit by Alis November 03, 2012, 04:25 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: BNPPM R3: Murray vs Janowicz « Reply #640 on: November 03, 2012, 04:52 PM »

Did anyone see the post-match interview on Sky when Marcus asked JJ about the tablets?  He said we're all dying to know what are the tablets you've been taking just as the match is beginning - we've seen the doctor give them to you for the last three days, the first time being your match with Andy Murray.  JJ was unable to answer as he was emotionally overwhelmed, crying uncontrollably...   I wished he'd been able to answer because it has been bugging me, particularly as the doctor and trainer appear to be waiting on the sidelines and appear right on cue moments before the match begins.  It seemed strange the first time against Andy, even stranger the second time against Tipsy, and then again today against Simon, what the heck is going on?  It will be interesting to see if the good doctor and trainer are on standby with the tablets just as tomorrow's final is about to start.   Whistle
Yes. The cynic in me says he didn't want to answer hence the tears.  But actually I think he was genuinely overwhelmed.  I do wonder what he'll have in the tank for tomorrow both emotionally and physically.
I think Andy would have beaten him if he'd not had half his mind on the 02.  And next time he'll be better prepared.  But I do think he's an exceptionally talented player and despite my dislike of big servers good to watch.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: BNPPM R3: Murray vs Janowicz « Reply #641 on: November 03, 2012, 05:05 PM »

Let me explain. This new guy seems to have all the shots in his bag and unless he becomes crippled with nerves  or injury he will wipe not only Murray off the court but many more in the current top 10. I've just been watching the match on You Tube and I am mightily impressed with JJ's performance
  JJ is not in the top eight this year but he might be next year. I sincerely hope I'm wrong
This takes fickle to a whole new level. Incredible.

Andy was very mediocre for one a half sets and absolutely dire for the other two. At his best he'd have wiped the floor with him.

If this guy is anywhere near the top 10 next year I'll f**king shoot myself.

So JJ is into the final  Whatever happens I shall be watching his progress next year.
   Beating 4 top 10 players in his first masters Wow! an interesting prospect.
He's only beaten two. One of them was playing well below his best and both were clearly not bothered at all about this tournament.

Seriously.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: BNPPM R3: Murray vs Janowicz « Reply #642 on: November 03, 2012, 05:09 PM »

Of course it's not the same.  But even allowing for all of the end of year factors, his performance is very impressive and indicative of someone destined for a higher ranking.   It's a sign he has potential to be a top player, not evidence that he will be one.
I don't think it is really about GS v 3 set matches. It is more about the fact that this competition has been a compete farce, so far. I just don't think you can make any real judgements on any bodies performance, be it ND, Murray or Tsonga et al. Much less JJ. Look at Tomic for example, isn't he supposed to be the next best thing? Yet his performance has been average this year. Yes JJ has done well, but the situation is so peculiar I am really not sure just how much can be read into it. If he wins tomorrow it I am sure it will be one of those odd sports questions for pub quizzes. To put it another way, lets not panic yet. Murray gave him that match, as did Tipsaravic.
Remember Tomic at Wimbledon terrific run and took a set off Nole, where is he now. I think we need to wait and see how JJ progresses once the other players read his game. He is undoubtably a talent, but it takes more than talent to reach the top 10 and stay there. He has been very lucky in Paris because of the WTF and the top seeds are no longer there with the exception of Ferrer. Poor Ferrer if he wins the tournament he'll be exhausted for his matches in London.

All of this. ^^ Well said.

How about we wait and see how he does next year before making sweeping statements about how he's going to rule tennis because of one good tournament where none of the top players are remotely bothered about winning?

Clearly a talented player, but f**k me, this is his first remotely good tournament in his career, and he's nearly 22. Look at any of the top 8 and where they were at that age. And not to mention his consistency, which based on this year, I would say is non-existent.

I bet he loses in R1 at the AO, and given that he'll probably now be seeded there, I might well put money on it.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: BNPPM R3: Murray vs Janowicz « Reply #643 on: November 03, 2012, 05:17 PM »

Sorry Madhatter, I stand corrected I meant to say top 20
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: BNPPM R3: Murray vs Janowicz « Reply #644 on: November 03, 2012, 05:26 PM »

Of course it's not the same.  But even allowing for all of the end of year factors, his performance is very impressive and indicative of someone destined for a higher ranking.   It's a sign he has potential to be a top player, not evidence that he will be one.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 [43] 44 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »